Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 07:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
thats not true actually, gays are open everywhere. Where do you live where you don't see any homosexuals? I just picked up a sandwich this evening at the store because im not cooking, lol and chatted with a young guy that goes to my college about the issue, he was gay and we had a really nice discussion.
You may live in an area where it's more acceptable to be open about it. Go to a rural county in the U.S. and ask people on the street if they know any gay people.

You could even go to certain parts of a big city - the south or east side of Los Angeles - and I'm guessing you'd find very few who say that they know any gays.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You may live in an area where it's more acceptable to be open about it. Go to a rural county in the U.S. and ask people on the street if they know any gay people.

You could even go to certain parts of a big city - the south or east side of Los Angeles - and I'm guessing you'd find very few who say that they know any gays.
well i usually don't go looking for gays like you do, but i know back in oklahoma i saw many openly gay people walking around there.It was pretty rural there, No biggie. Where do you live?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:54 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
not looking for a fight. How do you think the supreme court will pass a law that has already made it to be a california constitutional law?
Courts don't pass laws. What the state Supreme Court may very well do if (when) asked, is determine that Prop-8 goes beyond the permissible Constitutional scope of a mere proposition and that it is therefore null and void.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Courts don't pass laws. What the state Supreme Court may very well do if (when) asked, is determine that Prop-8 goes beyond the permissible Constitutional scope of a mere proposition and that it is therefore null and void.
yes, thank you for answering this then, i have no idea why karfar was uncomfortable embelishing on his opinion that he thought the superior court was going to some how overturn the proposition. My question is it seems it will be hard to do because it is now california constitutional law, and as far as im concerned would be hard to overturn after the same judges and the population as well has already accepted it as constitutional state law now. If it was ever seen as having any flaws why didn't that get adressed before it was even a proposition you could vote for. thats what i don't understand.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:05 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
well i usually don't go looking for gays like you do
You know, karfar was right. You appear to ask a question sincerely, and then you make ad hominem attacks on the people who respond to you. Why?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:11 PM

511 posts, read 658,587 times
Quote:
well i usually don't go looking for gays like you do, but i know back in oklahoma i saw many openly gay people walking around there.It was pretty rural there, No biggie. Where do you live?
It's not rural in Oklahoma City, and really only in NW Oklahoma City do you find openly gay people walking around. Otherwise there is too much of a risk of being gay bashed.

And then in Tulsa some certain areas of town is okay. Everywhere else where it is rural, no way, not unless you are really brave and carry a gun to defend yourself do many people risk it.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:13 PM

511 posts, read 658,587 times
Quote:
yes, thank you for answering this then, i have no idea why karfar was uncomfortable embelishing on his opinion that he thought the superior court was going to some how overturn the proposition. My question is it seems it will be hard to do because it is now california constitutional law, and as far as im concerned would be hard to overturn after the same judges and the population as well has already accepted it as constitutional state law now. If it was ever seen as having any flaws why didn't that get adressed before it was even a proposition you could vote for. thats what i don't understand.
That is where you are wrong. There are other clauses in California's constitution that make this whole thing illegal that they did it in the first place. Also, it was law that they could marry before this. It will not hold. And on the off chance that it does hold, you will see it back on the ballot in the future.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:20 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
i have no idea why karfar was uncomfortable embelishing on his opinion...
maybe because much of the night last night, you were absolutely venomous and sought to attack everyone who responded to you, often in ways unrelated to the discussion

Old 11-12-2008, 08:23 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm so with you on that. I wonder how many of the anti-same-sex-marriage voters in California actually knew a same-sex couple who had gotten married - or even knew a same-sex couple at all!

Gays are mostly an invisible minority in everyday life, so lots of people still think that they don't know any gays. This allows their imaginations to run wild when they hear the word "gay". It's the fear of the unknown.
I am block captain for neighborhood watch and one of my neighbors that voted yes on 8 does not know that I am gay. At one of our meetings she commented to me that she wished she had a neighbor like me on her block. Again, she does not know that I am gay and in a long term relationship, so probably did not know that she was taking away one of my rights.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:29 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Here's the thing, I don't have a problem answering questions when they're not laden w/hidden agenda. It might do you some good to understand that provoking people endlessly & then retreating to try to make nice, completely insincerely I might add, is a futile attempt at discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies