Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Be realistic, you are asking for public support, and you will not get it if the public does not want to give their support. You are going to need public support, before the public will agree to make changes to marriage laws.

The people are the government, our laws are the reflection of the values and desires of the people. Where do you think support for government and it's laws comes from, if not from the people?

We already have laws in in each state governing marriage, and those laws set rules and restrictions on who can and cannot be married. We have age restrictions, permission restrictions, and restrictions on blood relationship of the couple, and restrictions on same sex couples. These laws are all secular in nature; none of them have anything to do with religion.
Oh really?? ..

So where were the people when the Montana Legislature outlawed same sex marriage in their state constitution? Who voted on this? .. the people of Montana? .. or just a few bigoted religious right wingnuts?

Two Lesbians in Missoula one day decided to get a marriage certificate, the clerk turned them away .. it was in the news an hour later, and the house that the Lesbians lived in was burned to the ground that night ... 3 weeks later it was written into the state constitution (without a public vote) that same sex marriage was illegal.

Boom .. it all happened that quickly .. and all without telling anyone, not even thru the news that this was what was planned by the legislature ...

Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Be realistic, you are asking for public support, and you will not get it if the public does not want to give their support. You are going to need public support, before the public will agree to make changes to marriage laws.

The people are the government, our laws are the reflection of the values and desires of the people. Where do you think support for government and it's laws comes from, if not from the people?

That's not true. "The people" did not support interracial marriage. They did not support desegregation.

The "peoples" opinions on basic civil rights afforded to individuals typically has ZERO bearing. That's why theyre called rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812
We already have laws in in each state governing marriage, and those laws set rules and restrictions on who can and cannot be married. We have age restrictions, permission restrictions, and restrictions on blood relationship of the couple, and restrictions on same sex couples. These laws are all secular in nature; none of them have anything to do with religion.

Name one other contract that cannot be entered into between people of the same sex.

Age, etc. has to do with consent. Basic contract 101. Blood relationship restrictions are no longer needed in this country.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
We do not endorse marriage and give out tax deductions, and benefits because of love and commitment.

Marriage is "endorsed" (I suppose you're using it in a way that means, "encourage through incentives") because it creates stable households and neighborhoods which is good for society. Also a good way (not the only way) to raise children.

However, marriage is only usually ENDORSED for those that are in love and WANT to be married, because if not, it leads to DIVORCE, which has NEGATIVE repercussions for society.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:45 AM

465 posts, read 507,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
heh .. I think it's funny that there are those here that think just because we look at things for how they really are, we must be Gay.

I'll bet it just scrambles their eggs to learn that we are straight average hetrosexual people that believe in the rights of others.
well these are the same type people that had a hissy in the other thread because sf, cali, wants to lower the sqft requirements because of housing shortage, i thought personal freedom meant you could live in a mcmansion or a sardine can as long as you can pay for it, i guess only if you make the same decisions as them are they not for it...oh and i'm sure they hate the fact that more and more people are pro gay marriage even where i live it's like 40% pro and it's a very conservative area, it's changing more and more for gay marriage, and i'm talking people that think it's a sin too, are supporting it. i don't know why it's such a hard issue, if you don't like gay marriage don't marry someone of the same sex, if you're a minister and you don't want to marry a gay couple don't, preachers here many of them don't marry between races, and that's their right, you can still go to a different church or go to a justice of the peace.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

There should be no more debate about it than the debate we get to have when someone decides they want to contract to sell a house or car. WHatever spiritual, ritualistic or traditionalist mumbo jumbo you want to attach to the contract, it's still a contract for the purposes of the government.
What? You can buy a car with no breaks or engine as long as you keep it in your garage I don't care but if you insist on registering such vehicle and driving it in traffic with other people around it suddenly becomes my problem as well.

Gays can be together, there is no law to prevent it, but if they want the same legal priviledges as the most basic cell of our society than I will laugh.
Just because you want to spend lifetime with somebody it does not mean it is a marriage. I want to spend the rest of my life with my mommy. Why can't we have the same priviledges as married couples?

Marriage is a very old institution. It was not devised to make couples feel better, equal or more secure but to ensure survival of society by legitimizing and ensuring financial and psychological support for children resulting from that union.

Of course there are couples who can't or don't want children nevertheless the role of marriage in society is to protect the people who ensure survival of our species: parents and their children.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:48 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
heh .. I think it's funny that there are those here that think just because we look at things for how they really are, we must be Gay.

I'll bet it just scrambles their eggs to learn that we are straight average hetrosexual people that believe in the rights of others.
Agreed. My initial impression is that enough of this kind of feedback would result in a bit of reflection and introspection Perhaps that's why "God" gives some of them gay children. LOL. Some folks are like steel traps... nothing gets in.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Name one other contract that cannot be entered into between people of the same sex..
If you think of marriage as a contract than you should not be talking about it at all. Marriage is not a contract: there are no contractual obligations, there is no consideration.

Last edited by rebel12; 09-26-2012 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
We do not endorse marriage and give out tax deductions, and benefits because of love and commitment.

Are You Retarded? - YouTube

Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Marriage is "endorsed" (I suppose you're using it in a way that means, "encourage through incentives") because it creates stable households and neighborhoods which is good for society. Also a good way (not the only way) to raise children.
Marriage has privilegdes specifically because of its role in raising children.
And not it is not the only way, but the only decent way, to raise children.

Quote:
However, marriage is only usually ENDORSED for those that are in love and WANT to be married, because if not, it leads to DIVORCE, which has NEGATIVE repercussions for society.
"Marriage is endorsed for those who want to be married?" Your last parapgraph makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
If you think of marriage as a contract than you should not be talking about it.
Contracts have consideration, marriages do not. Marriage is not a contract.
Marriage is a contract. Look it up. I just did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies