Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 PM

713 posts, read 1,865,681 times

Advertisements

Are we missing a fairly obvious reason why society created an institution to encourage one man and one woman to commit to each other for life?

Why would people who attempt to mate with the same sex care about marriage? Why not just live together? I don't understand why so many people get upset just because we don't redefine marriage as being any old arrangement. Why do so many take it personally? Do some people just relish in seeing themselves as victims?

Nobody is being denied anything in the bill of rights. Grow up.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:38 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,521 times
you know when youve been cornered don't you, do us all a favor and take your own advice.

taken from you:

"can't we all just get along?" well, no ones stopping ya

Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Why would people who attempt to mate with the same sex care about marriage? Why not just live together? I don't understand why so many people get upset just because we don't redefine marriage as being any old arrangement. Why do so many take it personally? Do some people just relish in seeing themselves as victims?
Two people committing to each other for life isn't "any old arrangement". Same-sex couples want to marry for many of the same reasons that opposite-sex couples want to marry.

There are many rights and privileges provided by a civil marriage that living together does not. Even civil unions and domestic partnerships fall far short of providing the same benefits as marriage.

One idea that's gaining popularity in California is to get the state out of the marriage business completely. The state would offer civil union licenses to all couples instead of marriage licenses, and leave the term "marriage" (and marriage ceremonies) to the churches.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:14 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie333 View Post
you know when youve been cornered don't you, do us all a favor and take your own advice.

taken from you:

"can't we all just get along?" well, no ones stopping ya
lol... Well, you are right. You caught me. I sometimes get carried away. I try to make my arguements aggressively without being condescending or rude, but I slipped up with that comment. I apologize for my dismissive tone toward you.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
And that is why your party will never come into power.

freedom
And this would be why you're a fair weather american. You'd rather see USA destroyed endorsing your illness (homo phobia) than honor the constitution.
Maybe you're not qualified to live here.

Unidentified-- I don't have a problem with dismissing. I toss people in this forum out of my living room regularly when they abuse people's intelligence.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:48 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
And this would be why you're a fair weather american. You'd rather see USA destroyed endorsing your illness (homo phobia) than honor the constitution.
Maybe you're not qualified to live here.

Unidentified-- I don't have a problem with dismissing. I toss people in this forum out of my living room regularly when they abuse people's intelligence.
LMAO abuse other people's intelligence??? lol

How would someone abuse another persons intelligence? By phychologically tapping into someone's brain and abusing their intellegence.....lol

read real slow and carefully at what you just posted.

read much?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:23 AM

167 posts, read 453,355 times
Funny how the right wing Christians had to deceive and lie about the Marriage Propositions before they passed. They were passing out flyers at voting polls, saying that Obama was against gay marriage and for them to vote against it. They came out to say that young children will be taught in school that it is okay to be gay and they will be taught about the lifestyle. Whatever evil tactic they could come up with to sway voters, they did it.

People disgust me that want to tell others how to live. They place all their time and effort making sure people mind their morals. What about all of the corruption in Government and WallStreet? How come you are not going after that? Isn't it morally wrong to lie and deceive?

Old 11-10-2008, 02:48 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
One idea that's gaining popularity in California is to get the state out of the marriage business completely. The state would offer civil union licenses to all couples instead of marriage licenses, and leave the term "marriage" (and marriage ceremonies) to the churches.
I would disagree. It's either 100% or nothing. Either we're talking about equality or we're not. Separate-but-equal isn't any sort of answer, as we should have learned by now.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:57 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Tell these gays to get civil unions. Stay the fvck out of our Church's and away from our schools and children.
This is the smarmy attitude of the religious supremacists. They believe that marriage is somehow THEIR institution. They presume that they and their religions somehow hold rights of ownership over marriage. They do not. Not in the slightest. They have no more stake in or control over marriage than the rest of us do. Marriage is an ENTIRELY civil institution. It is 100% owned, operated, and defined by the state. There is not one single shred or strand of religious content to it. No person may be married except for first obtaining a license to do so from the state, and no practitioner -- religious or otherwise -- can perform any valid marriage except that he or she is also licensed by the state to do so. When it comes to marriage, churches are quite literally nothing more than franchise operators, doing business at the pleasure of the state and operating under total state control.

There is no legitimate state interest in preventing gay marriage. When states abrogate the right of gays to marry on exactly the same terms as others, they trample without warrant upon basic human rights and upon long-established and Constitutionally protected rights of privacy secured to the people via the 9th Amendment and guaranteed equally to all people by the 14th Amendment. The triumph of this view over the residual forces of darkness and superstition is now not long away. Be prepared.

PS. Gays are already in your churches and your schools, and they already interact daily with your children. Some of them ARE your children. This is normal. It is refusing to recognize the fact that is abnormal.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:36 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Why would people who attempt to mate with the same sex care about marriage?
Um, maybe because marriage is a really important institution in our society? Maybe because those people want to enjoy the benefits associated with marriage because their relationships are essentially the same as any other? I don't know--use some common sense.

Quote:
Do some people just relish in seeing themselves as victims?
Apparently this is difficult for some to grasp, but not all who are being so adamant about this are interested in entering into a same-sex marriage. You can't really argue that they're martyring themselves, then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies