Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 04:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryDoubtful View Post
All this proves is that US Marines are brainwashed, psychopathic murderers who would just as easily kill the 'enemy' as they would their next door neighbor. Remember that the next time you're thinking of joining this 'elite' group of sickos in order to get a cheap college student loan.
No it proves (if convicted) these marines are criminals. Without marines and others in our armed services you would have been summarily executed just for being an American or not having blond hair and blue eyes. Believe it or not people want you dead just because it serves them better. Just the same as these (possible) criminals.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 11-09-2008 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 04:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
BigJon3475, VeryDoubtful was responding to another poster who wrote the first sentence he/she was responding to.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:24 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
As a former Marine 0311 I find it both despicable and totally ignorant, the blanket remarks made if Marines and service people in general.
To the uninformed I will tell you why we need a Marine Corps. While you sit on your overfed behind in your climate controlled living room and speak of the incivility of the Corps there are places where murder, and torture are no more stranger than you going to the 7-11. When you send Americans into these situations with the mindset of typical Americans you set them up as lambs to the wolves, in America we think of war as a boxing contest, the "gentleman's" sport. No hitting below the waist, no biting, no elbowing, all nice and clean. In the areas that Marines serve in it's no boxing match it's a street fight complete with biting, scratching, and groin kicks.
The world is very uncivilized in many regions and America must have a response that will answer when the need arises.
In many ways the Marine Corps simply trains people to keep their head and operate in an totally hostile and alien environment, it's no different than other branches training of Rangers or Pathfinders, you simply train the person to the mission.
Was this a race crime? I honestly don't know. Is there racism in the Marine Corps? It certainly was when I was in, but in no way were the majority of whites I came into contact with racist. I was called a N*gger to my face for the first time in my life by a Sergeant, when the dust settled I lost a stripe but he never used that word in my presence again. The best punishment would be a military trail. it would be straight to the point and the punishment received would by far be more severe than the sentence meted out.
As for those who say we are uncontrollable killers, I can clearly say that I have not gone on any homicidal killing sprees and don't intend to in the near future.
To those who would say that because I served in the Marine Corps I have no morals, my reply is that some things are so stupid they don't warrant a reply.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:57 PM

hey reconmark, were you ever a cruise ship passenger on one of my Navy ships? Had about 2,000 Marines on my first ship, USS Iwo Jima LPH-2. When they weren't eating and sleeping they were working out and cleaning their guns. Oh, that's the life. Just a little branch ribbing.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
USS Sumpter from Camp Lejeune to Oslo Norway and a two month cruise down the english channel, lots of good stops along the way before heading back to Lejeune.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Eight Marines, who happened to be staying at the motel, spotted flames and smoke. They woke sleeping guests by banging on doors and shouting for residents to get out of the burning building. They even carried one elderly man to safety.

Marines Save Lives as Fire Destroys O.C. Motel (http://www.ktla.com/content_landing_page/?Marines-Save-Lives-as-Fire-Destroys-OC-M=1&blockID=130108&feedID=171 - broken link)

Old 11-09-2008, 06:42 PM

So one story putting Marines in a negative light gets national coverage while the other only gets local coverage. Hmm, I wonder why? Maybe Terry Moran might have an answer when in a radio interview he stated, "There is, Hugh, I agree with you, a deep anti-military bias in the media. One that begins from the premise that the military must be lying, and that American projection of power around the world must be wrong. I think that that is a hangover from Vietnam, and I think it's very dangerous. That's different from the media doing it's job of challenging the exercise of power without fear or favor."

Old 11-09-2008, 06:51 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
I would have to agree with you. I notice that whenever the press/politicians (is there much of a difference anymore?) get too aggresive on portraying the troops as heartless killers, the people stop it. The people recognize the harm that was caused by spitting on Vietnam vets and calling them 'baby killers', the people realize that while it is dangerous to put our military on a pedastal, it is equally wrong to charectorize them as ign'ant killers. Such as Murtha and Kerry have tried to do. Such as the press tries to do. Each time they attempt to revisit the glory hippy days of blind hatred for the military establishment, the people protest through calls, letters and emails and the bullies back down.
God, how I hate the baby boomers..........(not all, but a whole hell of a lot pf the hypocritical azzhats)

Old 11-09-2008, 07:02 PM

I'm not so sure.....I think the utter destruction of John McCain was probably the biggest slap in the face of Vietnam vets today.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:05 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Brooklyn Marine sergeant & wife tortured, slain in Calif.; 4 of his men are arrested

A Brooklyn-raised Marine sergeant and his new bride were tortured and killed execution-style in their California home - allegedly by four other Marines under his command.

A hate crime by any other standards but because it included a white male it's just torture and murder. This proves all crimes are hate crimes.
Well.. that depends on what the motive for the murder was. Simply looking at the makeup of victimes/ perps does not a hate crime make

There could have been many other issues involved beyond race etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies