Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:52 PM

839 posts, read 982,465 times

Advertisements

Not to nitpick, but the title of this thread is misleading; Bush has the highest disapproval ratings of any president since polling for disapproval began. That means Bush is currently enjoying the greatest level of unpopularity of any modern president, but there is no means to compare him to some of the other famous (or infamous) bad presidents, such as Andrew Johnson or Franklin Pierce...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 PM

15 posts, read 25,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi View Post
Bush is even more unpopular than Richard Nixon.

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/11/10/bush.transition.poll/index.html]Belief that country heading in right direction is at all-time low - CNN.com[/url]

Heck I'd only be surprised if he wasn't voted the most unpopular.

I don't like Nixon myself but even I have to admit he did some good for this country. And I believe that the same can be said about most any other unpopular president we may have ever had.

Dubya in contrast will only continue to look worse over the course of time as more & more currently unknown facts about his administration come to light.

So bad in fact that I think future American political historians will look at him one day and ask, "Man, what the f*** where we thinking?"

Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Uhmmm so is the current congress whose approval rating is lower than bushes.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMolly View Post
Bush may have a lower rating than Nixon, but I don't think it's lower than Truman's which I recently heard was somewhere around 25%.

As someone mentioned, the Congress is enjoying an even lower rating than the President's and this is with the Democrats at the helm.
No he is lower than truman now. In the end it really measn nothing in the context of history. The demcratic congress went to the lowest in history of congress lately after havbing control for about two years. Generally any poll on politcians is very low.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
The rating for Congress is virtually always lower than that of the President. As horrible as he is, about half the people out there voted for the bozo last time around and many just do not want to admit to themselves how dumb they were in doing that. Not so re Congress. People feel perfectly comfortable in blaming stuff on Congress because in doing so they don't have to lay anything at the feet of the particular guy they voted for, assuming he got elected. Those who claim in defense of Bush that Congress' rating is even lower are engaging in an emperor-has-no-clothes argument...

Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 25,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever Adrift View Post
...That means Bush is currently enjoying the greatest level of unpopularity of any modern president, but there is no means to compare him to some of the other famous (or infamous) bad presidents, such as Andrew Johnson or Franklin Pierce...
Not to mention Adolf Hitler or Genghis Khan.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:09 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The rating for Congress is virtually always lower than that of the President. As horrible as he is, about half the people out there voted for the bozo last time around and many just do not want to admit to themselves how dumb they were in doing that. Not so re Congress. People feel perfectly comfortable in blaming stuff on Congress because in doing so they don't have to lay anything at the feet of the particular guy they voted for, assuming he got elected. Those who claim in defense of Bush that Congress' rating is even lower are engaging in an emperor-has-no-clothes argument...
It took a real douche to vote for him in the first place.He appeared just as stupid from the beginning as he does now.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:16 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Had to wear a cuing device so his handlers could feed him answers when he got in trouble during the debates. I bet Palin wore one, too...

No, Sarah, don't answer that! Don't answer! Talk about energy instead!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:21 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Had to wear a cuing device so his handlers could feed him answers when he got in trouble during the debates. I bet Palin wore one, too...

No, Sarah, don't answer that! Don't answer! Talk about energy instead!
LOL...Wink Sarah....Wink again...THEY LOVE IT!!! Especially the stupid ones....now say maverick.say it again...again....again zzzzzz zzzzzz

Old 11-10-2008, 08:23 PM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't blame y o for not rading the stupid article, which would be a waste of time. But it said:

Before Bush, the record holder for presidential disapproval was Harry Truman, with a 67 percent disapproval rating in January of 1952, his last full year in office.
You're right. I barely skimmed the article. But the point is that I question the article's findings since I have definitely read that Truman's was lower. However I have no link to prove that.

It doesn't matter, but the point is that Truman was later held in high esteem by many. So what the general public thinks about a President today in the heat of the moment and what history will find are two very different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies