Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:37 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Kids are impressionable, and the fact that their parents are taking them to a church that already teaches that homosexuality is a sin shows that the groundwork has already been laid for homophobia. Add to this gay protestors who would be considered scary from a kids perspective (yelling and throwing stuff in a church) not to mention what their parents will have to say about the incident for months or years to come and voila! Bigots in the making.

Those protestors f'ed up, and in a big way.
Homophobia? So do they fear theft as well? Do they fear lies? Do they fear all of this or is it simply that they disagree with it and are taught that it is sin like many other sins?

I disagree with homosexuality and have had civil discussions with them in my past about it. I don't hate them, I don't fear them, I merely disagree with them and the acceptance of the actions. Is that homophobic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Unfortunately, that's not the case that will be presented. Headlines will read 'Gay people are caraaaazy and want to kill churchgoers with paper pamphlets!'

Well, maybe in The Onion ...
This wont go past Michigan. No way that it would be reported by any of the networks, or MSNBC or CNN. Unless Fox reports it, it will just be swept under the rug

Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Homophobia? So do they fear theft as well? Do they fear lies? Do they fear all of this or is it simply that they disagree with it and are taught that it is sin like many other sins?

I disagree with homosexuality and have had civil discussions with them in my past about it. I don't hate them, I don't fear them, I merely disagree with them and the acceptance of the actions. Is that homophobic?
Is that homophobic? Yeah, and here is why....

Theft sucks because it directly affects you, even if you aren't the one stolen from. Shoplifters raise the price of goods for everyone as the store tries to recapture lost profits. As homes get burlarized, everyones home insurance premiums in that zip code go up. Crime does affect everyone either directly or indirectly.
As do lies.....surely it is not fun to have lies told about you, nor is it fun to be around gossips as you never know who will be there next victim.
However homosexuality does not affect you. At all. If gays were allowed to wed, you homeowners insurance will not go up. If gays are allowed to wed prices will not rise at Walmart. If gays are allowed to wed, it wouldn't affect your reputation or stature in your community.

So while I certainly wouldn't put you in a fred phelps catagory of homophobia at all...still, I can't imagine how what two people do in their private lives can possibly effect yours in any way.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
More hateful gay people...
As opposed to the millions of hateful homophobes...

Old 11-12-2008, 01:17 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Is that homophobic? Yeah, and here is why....

Theft sucks because it directly affects you, even if you aren't the one stolen from. Shoplifters raise the price of goods for everyone as the store tries to recapture lost profits. As homes get burlarized, everyones home insurance premiums in that zip code go up. Crime does affect everyone either directly or indirectly.
As do lies.....surely it is not fun to have lies told about you, nor is it fun to be around gossips as you never know who will be there next victim.
However homosexuality does not affect you. At all. If gays were allowed to wed, you homeowners insurance will not go up. If gays are allowed to wed prices will not rise at Walmart. If gays are allowed to wed, it wouldn't affect your reputation or stature in your community.

So while I certainly wouldn't put you in a fred phelps catagory of homophobia at all...still, I can't imagine how what two people do in their private lives can possibly effect yours in any way.
Then you choose to redefine language to your own ends rather than use its correct definition.

Homophobic is...

Quote:
1. unreasoning fear of or antipathy toward homosexuals and homosexuality.
2. Fear of or contempt for lesbians and gay men.
3. Behavior based on such a feeling.
I can reason my disagreement in a manner that is absent of those requirements. I am not homophobic in the slightest, though I am also using its correct definition to come to that position while you are inserting subjective personal qualifications in order to adjust the meaning of the word to make your claim.

As for the matter of marriage, it is much the same issue. Again, those seek to change the definition to their own meaning as they see fit.

If anything my problem is with the irresponsible use of our language in order to obtain personal benefits. Much like your use of homophobic to classify someone who disagrees with you. It is illogical, it is unethical in its method of communication.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:23 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Then you choose to redefine language to your own ends rather than use its correct definition.

Homophobic is...

I can reason my disagreement in a manner that is absent of those requirements. I am not homophobic in the slightest, though I am also using its correct definition to come to that position while you are inserting subjective personal qualifications in order to adjust the meaning of the word to make your claim.

As for the matter of marriage, it is much the same issue. Again, those seek to change the definition to their own meaning as they see fit.

If anything my problem is with the irresponsible use of our language in order to obtain personal benefits. Much like your use of homophobic to classify someone who disagrees with you. It is illogical, it is unethical in its method of communication.
Correct me if I am wrong, but to deny a group of people the ability to marry based on either religious dogma or feeling that gayness is 'icky' would be...shall I say, behaving in a way to show unreasoning fear or antipathy against a group of people.
As I said, you are not in the same catagory of fred phelps by any means....but to support marriage for only one group of people based on personal and rather subjective feelings is...wrong.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:26 PM

152 posts, read 572,316 times
Oh yes, that's the right strategy, going against churches...so that finally some white hooded crazy dude will start going gay hunting with a bat again!! Oh yeah, that's the strategy!! You're just mounting the hatred, you're gonna lose! You people are pushing the envelope way too far...

Old 11-12-2008, 01:27 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
.but to support marriage for only one group of people based on personal and rather subjective feelings is...wrong.
For Nomander (we've had this discussion before), it's an issue of definition being in place already and the idea that there is no compelling reason to change it. This has never made sense to me at all. There is a compelling reason to change it.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:12 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no, they do not. they have not even a shred of control over what goes on in anyone's bedroom.

to continue insisting that they do is sheer hyperbole well deserving of ridicule.
Of course they are not physically standing in their rooms. Yet, they continue to want to. They won't be happy until they are. It goes with the doctrine. Yes, they are political. There you have it.

Denial, ain't just a river in Egypt.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Default Gay rights protesters disrupt Sunday service

Sad they feel they need to resort to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies