Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

16 million???? Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No the ones who didn't vote are ... In jail, illegal aliens, or have a green card.

Period!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I don't really think it is fair to say everybody is against gay marriage when 16 million didn't really care to vote.

Also I can't believe an actor is a governor of California.
ya not everyone is against gay marriage, but those that voted are the ones who actually care about the issue. i know people (non felons and legals) that did not vote. some preffered to abstain from voting on the props, or on the presidency. its peoples right to vote. or not to vote. and it does not matter how many adults are in CA, what matters are registered voters. but since voter turnout fluctuates the only reliabe and comparable number is those who voted.

and it IS fair to say that "the people have spoken". they voted, and thats a way of communicating what people believe. are peoples beliefs always the smartest or civic minded? obviously not lookin at how prop 8 passed, but the voters of CA have spoken and are against the gays. but not by a lot. i think its about 50.3 v 49.7%. such a small number to alter a document like constituion. how disrespectful.

anyhow. arnold is not the first actor gov. ever heard of ronald reagan?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:38 PM

lol Reagan was also governor of California. He was certainly more sophisticated than Arnold. lol.

I do not think it is fair to say that the people have spoken. There can be arguments against your opinion ya know.

Voting doesn't promise anything wonderful either look at W Bush, his speeches, and his decisions. LOL..

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
ya not everyone is against gay marriage, but those that voted are the ones who actually care about the issue. i know people (non felons and legals) that did not vote. some preffered to abstain from voting on the props, or on the presidency. its peoples right to vote. or not to vote. and it does not matter how many adults are in CA, what matters are registered voters. but since voter turnout fluctuates the only reliabe and comparable number is those who voted.

and it IS fair to say that "the people have spoken". they voted, and thats a way of communicating what people believe. are peoples beliefs always the smartest or civic minded? obviously not lookin at how prop 8 passed, but the voters of CA have spoken and are against the gays. but not by a lot. i think its about 50.3 v 49.7%. such a small number to alter a document like constituion. how disrespectful.

anyhow. arnold is not the first actor gov. ever heard of ronald reagan?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,139,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
No the ones who didn't vote are ... In jail, illegal aliens, or have a green card.

Period!
That's so ridiculous. You mean to tell us that you don't know anyone in your real life who works 40 or more hours a week, has a family, etc., and has their reasons (debatable ones, of course) why they don't vote? There are plenty of people who are legal citizens and not criminals who are (basically) apathetic about politics.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
While I have re thought the issue of "gay marrige" there are a lot of folks out there that ain't gonna do so. Despite the volatility of the issue I DO think that recinding a ballot issue via the courts is a dangerous road to tread. It sets a precedent that the will of the voters ( legislative) can be overturned by judges (judicial). Regardless of my personal feelings about whether or not gays, lesbians etc can form legal unions I still feel that the will of the majority should rule on balloted issues. The courts have NO business meddling in the legislative process especially when it is an issue decided by a vote. That gives the judicial branch WAY to much power to wield on a far broader scale than just one issue.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM

well unfortunately the majority will almost always vote against a minority. what i dislike is that a majority votes on the rights of a protected minority. in that case sometimes the courts HAVE to intervene.
like with desegregating education and repealing anti-miscegenation laws.
the courts intervened becasue the people(the majority) were fine with an unequal status quo
had segregation or miscegenation gone to a vote, how do you think the people would have voted? i think it would have been a more lopsided victory (for the bigots) than this 50.3% to 49.7% outcome here.

the courts have the right to intervene in the interest of all CITIZENS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
While I have re thought the issue of "gay marrige" there are a lot of folks out there that ain't gonna do so. Despite the volatility of the issue I DO think that recinding a ballot issue via the courts is a dangerous road to tread. It sets a precedent that the will of the voters ( legislative) can be overturned by judges (judicial). Regardless of my personal feelings about whether or not gays, lesbians etc can form legal unions I still feel that the will of the majority should rule on balloted issues. The courts have NO business meddling in the legislative process especially when it is an issue decided by a vote. That gives the judicial branch WAY to much power to wield on a far broader scale than just one issue.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
lol Reagan was also governor of California. He was certainly more sophisticated than Arnold. lol.

I do not think it is fair to say that the people have spoken. There can be arguments against your opinion ya know.

Voting doesn't promise anything wonderful either look at W Bush, his speeches, and his decisions. LOL..
ok, but i can say, the voters have spoken.

and voters are people. and these people are the ones who speak for california.

so CALIFORNIA HAS SPOKEN
and it hates the gays.
but loves the chickens and baby cows.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,611,532 times
The gay marriage issue is like the marijuana issue for me...

I could care less if either is legalized, but I know neither will be if the majority has anything to say about it.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times
Comparing race to sexual preference is ridiculous. Using a MLK quote out of context is pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps perpetuate it."
--Martin Luther King Jr.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:15 PM

the supreme court saw it as unconstitutional, same as in interracial marriage. I might remind you the supreme court studies The Law. They would know better in some cases such as this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies