Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 11:03 AM

594 posts, read 1,044,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I know you are right. We need a good deprogrammer in here to talk to 18Montclair and others. The good thing about it is that all of this reminds people of who Mormons really are. Mitt Romney seems moderate but look at the Church he belongs to.

And then there is always this
YES!!! The Magic Mormon Drawers!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM

149 posts, read 171,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Speaking of kink - Are you, like many Christians, into Christian Domestic Discipline?

Christian Domestic Discipline - Loving Wife Spanking in a Christian Marriage (http://www.christiandomesticdiscipline.com/CDDHome.html - broken link)

Sounds pretty kinky to me. At first I thought it was funny that all these pious Christians were getting off on what is by any other name Bondage and Discipline kink and using quotes from the Bible to rationalise it. But after finding out more about it, they really believe that Christian husbands have the right (and the duty) to spank their wives for "disciplinary" purposes even without the woman's consent.

While some Christian wives apparently enjoy this and it is consensual (there is a whole subset of romance fiction based on this!), a lot of these wives do not. They end up suffering from poor self-esteem and depression and live in a fear based relationship with their husbands. This "practice" is using the Bible as blessing for abuse of women. Reading some of this info on the CDD website made me want to throw up a little.
I have no idea what you are talking about I guess strawman comes to mind. How does this have anything to do with what I said? You dont have an answer do you?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:15 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Excuse me,
I wasnt aware that all Christian Faiths except Mormons now marry Gays?

Picking on the Mormon Church over something MOST christian churches agree on only unites Proponents of Prop 8 even more.

In fact, as Ive stated before, Im confident that if a vote were held today, Yes would win by an even bigger margin.
My point is that Mormons apparently pick and choose which religious texts to follow. Catholics don't. You don't see the Pope saying sex before marriage is A-OK do you? No, they stick to their archaic belief.

Why did the mormons drop this sacred law that came directly from God to Joseph Smith?
Why did they drop polygamy?
And by dropping Polygamy, isn't that saying that he was wrong in that belief, and isn't that saying that it is possible that Everything Joseph Smith stated could be WRONG?

P.S.
Lots of churches DO marry gay people. I was not married in a church and My marriage is legal and binding but my gay friend WAS married in a church and you just outlawed his marriage which was done infront of God, in God's house, with a preacher and all at the helm.

So yes, many churches DO marry gay people.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Blacklisting people for voting their conscience is obnoxious.
WTF are you even talking about? Do you have any clue whatsoever? Who the hell is trying to blacklist you? I'm asking you to shorten your posts, clearly you feel the need to ramble to get your point across, most people can do it in shorter posts. Stick to the goddamn topic!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:35 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Lots of churches DO marry gay people. I was not married in a church and My marriage is legal and binding but my gay friend WAS married in a church and you just outlawed his marriage which was done infront of God, in God's house, with a preacher and all at the helm.

So yes, many churches DO marry gay people.
Hum no I think you may be wrong.
Certainly the catholics dont, nor the Baptist...........The Anglicans are falling apart and splintering because of it and the methodist.............well they are loosing membership badly because of their stand.....................

Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,969 times
I think that a major issue with Prop 8 is that kids would be taught that it is OK to marry someone of the same-sex and that is too complicated for most kids from traditional families to understand. My son was in school with two boys that had lesbian parents and both would cry when asked about a father. Their lesbian parents failed to tell them about their father and it was very embarrasing for those kids to tell people that they had lesbian parents. When the kids became enrolled, shortly after my son the school had to really become sensitive to those issues and sex education had to be changed to include a talk about gay sex, which most parents did not approve of. I feel that it is not good to have gay marriage because it can poison neutral minds, just like teachers should maintain a neutral political view. The liberals in this country are truly commited to their agenda of ruining this great nation.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:45 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I think that a major issue with Prop 8 is that kids would be taught that it is OK to marry someone of the same-sex and that is too complicated for most kids from traditional families to understand. My son was in school with two boys that had lesbian parents and both would cry when asked about a father. Their lesbian parents failed to tell them about their father and it was very embarrasing for those kids to tell people that they had lesbian parents. When the kids became enrolled, shortly after my son the school had to really become sensitive to those issues and sex education had to be changed to include a talk about gay sex, which most parents did not approve of. I feel that it is not good to have gay marriage because it can poison neutral minds, just like teachers should maintain a neutral political view. The liberals in this country are truly commited to their agenda of ruining this great nation.
Studies have proven over and over that children of same sex parents are just as well adjusted (if not more) than children of opposite sex parents.

A child of a single mother could be upset when people asked about their father, and they had to say he wasn't around, it's not exclusive to children of same sex parents.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Blah blah blah. It's the parents fault for not explaining to their kids about their father, has no bearing that they are lesbian. Just like when heteros get divorced, the mother or father is in prison, died, ran off w/the secretary, what have you. And yes, it should be taught so the kids learn that it is OK to be gay, it is OK to have 2 parents of the same sex, and it is OK if you don't believe what your parents believe because they were raised homophobic & chose to stay this way instead of actually opening their minds. You want to talk about ruining this country, take a deep look at the religious right & the republicans, you've got your answer right there.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:51 AM

66 posts, read 81,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Blah blah blah. It's the parents fault for not explaining to their kids about their father, has no bearing that they are lesbian. Just like when heteros get divorced, the mother or father is in prison, died, ran off w/the secretary, what have you. And yes, it should be taught so the kids learn that it is OK to be gay, it is OK to have 2 parents of the same sex, and it is OK if you don't believe what your parents believe because they were raised homophobic & chose to stay this way instead of actually opening their minds. You want to talk about ruining this country, take a deep look at the religious right & the republicans, you've got your answer right there.
It's a little unclear how this became the republicans fault. Religious and republican are not the same.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbo View Post
It's a little unclear how this became the republicans fault. Religious and republican are not the same.
He accused liberals of ruining this country. I took it a step further & included not only republicans but the religious right. I know they're not the same thing, although the majority are, however I wasn't trying to say they were the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies