Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 10:20 AM

594 posts, read 1,043,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
With respect to the view that Traditional Marriage is the only correct form of marriage, there is no difference whatsoever between the Mormon Church and the Catholic Church and Protestant Churches. And Christianity's view of what marriage doesnt differ from Jewish or Muslim Doctrine.
If you limit it only to the definition of marriage, then you're correct.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 AM

328 posts, read 565,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I noticed how you conveniently left out tithing, where the church does all but require each member to give 10% of their income.
It wasn't left out. Look back and you'll see that the whole first part of the post was about tithing. I'm not sure what you mean by "all but require," but there are exactly two consequences of not tithing: you can't get a temple recommend and you won't be considered for several church service opportunities (for example, you are expected to pay tithing if you are a bishop). That means, as I said in the post about which you are complaining, that once a year you have to look your bishop in the eye and tell him that you believe that you have given "ten percent of your increase." Bishops are instructed not to interpret that definition of tithing for people but that they are to determine for themselves what constitutes "increase." Some people pay on gross income, some on net income, and others have their own definition.

What I find pretty funny is that non-Mormons talk about Mormon tithing ten times as much as the Mormons do themselves.

Quote:
In fact members who do not pay 10% are accused by the book of mormon of robbing God!
As was already pointed out, this is a quote from Malachi (in the Bible) that is just being quoted in the Book of Mormon. Your post is actually a pointer into the King James Version of the Bible where that quote appears in the Old Testament.

Quote:
Sure, voluntary. But what member would choose to rob God? Very convenient.
It's quite voluntary, your protestations to the contrary. The Church instructs, and the vast majority of Church leaders willingly comply, that we are never to berate people or intimidate them or threaten them or coerce them in any way, directly or indirectly. They are simply to be invited to pay tithing because they want to and feel that it is a way for them to make an offering to God out of love and faith. If someone is not paying tithing but wants to start, there is never any notion of going back and trying to "pay up." That person can simply decide to start paying it from that time forward. It isn't about money---it's about having the faith to make a willing sacrifice.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
It wasn't left out. Look back and you'll see that the whole first part of the post was about tithing. I'm not sure what you mean by "all but require," but there are exactly two consequences of not tithing: you can't get a temple recommend and you won't be considered for several church service opportunities (for example, you are expected to pay tithing if you are a bishop). That means, as I said in the post about which you are complaining, that once a year you have to look your bishop in the eye and tell him that you believe that you have given "ten percent of your increase." Bishops are instructed not to interpret that definition of tithing for people but that they are to determine for themselves what constitutes "increase." Some people pay on gross income, some on net income, and others have their own definition.

What I find pretty funny is that non-Mormons talk about Mormon tithing ten times as much as the Mormons do themselves.

As was already pointed out, this is a quote from Malachi (in the Bible) that is just being quoted in the Book of Mormon. Your post is actually a pointer into the King James Version of the Bible where that quote appears in the Old Testament.

It's quite voluntary, your protestations to the contrary. The Church instructs, and the vast majority of Church leaders willingly comply, that we are never to berate people or intimidate them or threaten them or coerce them in any way, directly or indirectly. They are simply to be invited to pay tithing because they want to and feel that it is a way for them to make an offering to God out of love and faith. If someone is not paying tithing but wants to start, there is never any notion of going back and trying to "pay up." That person can simply decide to start paying it from that time forward. It isn't about money---it's about having the faith to make a willing sacrifice.
Can I enter the Celestial Kingdom if I don't tithe?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
So I can make a contribution to the Golden Temple on the Hill because I have faith and faith will get me into Heaven. Mammon laughs.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Typical Mormon answer. Fine. You stated above that Mormons are "quintessentially Christian." Interesting that you felt the need to drop "quintessentially" in there, but whatever. What definition of "Christian" were you using to make that statement?
The standard definition used for 2,000 years. A Christian is a person whose religion is based on the teachings and/or life of Christ. This would include everyone from the Marcionites to the Ebionites to the Christian Gnostics to the orthodox, along with all their associated heretical groups and splinter groups.

LDS Christians certainly have some heterodox beliefs in some key areas, but they are quintessentially Christian in that they are absolutely committed to a religion that is founded fundamentally on the teaching, atonement, and resurrection of Jesus and that views Christ as uniquely divine and as the unique source of salvation for the world.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
Can I enter the Celestial Kingdom if I don't tithe?
Of course (assuming you mean a random person, not you personally). Most people who end up in the Celestial Kingdom will never have paid tithing.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
So I can make a contribution to the Golden Temple on the Hill because I have faith and faith will get me into Heaven. Mammon laughs.
You are saved by your faith in, and submission to, Jesus Christ. What form your submission takes will vary depending on what age and culture you live in. Making a contribution, in and of itself, has nothing to do with going to heaven.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:23 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Church Responds to Same-Sex <br>Marriage Votes - LDS Newsroom

Quote:
Allegations of bigotry or persecution made against the Church were and are simply wrong. The Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage neither constitutes nor condones any kind of hostility toward gays and lesbians. Even more, the Church does not object to rights for same-sex couples regarding hospitalization and medical care, fair housing and employment rights, or probate rights, so long as these do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:25 AM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I just wanted to tell all of the anti-prop-8 crowds to stop attacking the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As a member of the chuch, it is incredibly offensive to see the things that are being done and being said about the church. It is absurd to single out the LDS church when the Catholic chuch and other African-American churches campaigned and donated money to Yes on Prop 8.
If the LDS church just minded its own business, you wouldn't have this problem.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
The standard definition used for 2,000 years. A Christian is a person whose religion is based on the teachings and/or life of Christ. This would include everyone from the Marcionites to the Ebionites to the Christian Gnostics to the orthodox, along with all their associated heretical groups and splinter groups.

LDS Christians certainly have some heterodox beliefs in some key areas, but they are quintessentially Christian in that they are absolutely committed to a religion that is founded fundamentally on the teaching, atonement, and resurrection of Jesus and that views Christ as uniquely divine and as the unique source of salvation for the world.
The "unique source of salvation." Really?

It is true that the blood of the son of God was shed for sins yet men can commit sins which it can never remit. There are sins that must be atoned for by the blood of the man -- Brigham Young

Christians speak often of the blood of Christ and its cleansing power. Much that is believed and taught on this subject, however, is such utter nonsense and so palpably false that to believe it is to lose one's salvation. Many go so far, for instance, as to pretend, at least, to believe that if we confess Christ with our lips and avow that we accept Him as our personal Savior, we are thereby saved. His blood, without other act than mere belief, they say, makes us clean -- Bruce McConkie

"Christ as uniquely divine." Really?

Sin is upon every earth that ever was created ... Consequently every earth has its redeemer, and every earth has its tempter -- Brigham Young
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies