Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Actually (and I'll catch heck for what I'm about to say) I think this is KIND of a good idea that should be used in ALL facets of donations.....I would like to know if I'm paying money to a biz that donates to anti-gun legislation or groups or biz donators who donate to organizations that support illegal amnesty....I could promise them that I would boycott their business from then on by not buying from them.I see no problem with it if it was used by all.
Absolutely. The lists are produced by groups on the left and the right. We can all use them to our advantage, whatever our political leanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
It's bull****. Reminds me of the neighborhood people where I live (the burbs of Portland) that tried to close down a Mr. Peeps adult entertainment business. They shot photographs of the license plates of all the patrons and posted them into the internet. The blacklist didn't work. The business is STILL there after 10 years or so.

The People of California spoke. The oppositionists had just as much right to sock time and money into their efforts as the gay community did. They didn't force anything down anyone's throats, and most of the supporters probably won't give a tinker's damn about being 'black-listed'.

Find another way to fight your issues.
I agree with you on the adult entertainment business, mainly because I don't like it when anyone uses intimidation to try to shut down a legal business.

On the other hand, I disagree with you about boycotts. In a sense, people "boycott" things every day. Mac users are essentially boycotting PCs, some Prius drivers believe they're superior to anyone in an SUV, etc. We make choices every day in who we talk to, the kind of work we do, etc.

The Christian Right organizations are boycotting things constantly, and they do sometimes get what they want. The No On 8 people have as much of a right to boycott the businesses that they don't like.

Some have called it "fascism" to boycott a business. That's laughable. It's called the free market economy. Ironic that the "fascism" label is coming from the right-wing in this case.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:47 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I agree with you on the adult entertainment business, mainly because I don't like it when anyone uses intimidation to try to shut down a legal business.

On the other hand, I disagree with you about boycotts. In a sense, people "boycott" things every day. Mac users are essentially boycotting PCs, some Prius drivers believe they're superior to anyone in an SUV, etc. We make choices every day in who we talk to, the kind of work we do, etc.

The Christian Right organizations are boycotting things constantly, and they do sometimes get what they want. The No On 8 people have as much of a right to boycott the businesses that they don't like.

Some have called it "fascism" to boycott a business. That's laughable. It's called the free market economy. Ironic that the "fascism" label is coming from the right-wing in this case.
You make a very good point.

My husband boycotts any business during the Xmas holidays that decided to ban bell-ringers. And I've refrained from purchasing recordings from musicians when I had a problem with them for one thing or another.

However, one could put in an awful lot of time and effort to keep track of who supports what, and where does it end? It's like I've told my husband numerous time ~ we've no clue "who" most of the people entertain us, or those who service us, really are or what they stand for. And unless I'm forced to find out (scandal, controversy), I don't WANT to know! And, therefore, I'm unlikely to ever read a "blacklist".

Old 11-17-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
You make a very good point.

My husband boycotts any business during the Xmas holidays that decided to ban bell-ringers. And I've refrained from purchasing recordings from musicians when I had a problem with them for one thing or another.

However, one could put in an awful lot of time and effort to keep track of who supports what, and where does it end? It's like I've told my husband numerous time ~ we've no clue "who" most of the people entertain us, or those who service us, really are or what they stand for. And unless I'm forced to find out (scandal, controversy), I don't WANT to know! And, therefore, I'm unlikely to ever read a "blacklist".
Thank you.

I agree with you about the time and effort it takes to stick to a boycott of anything. It becomes exhausting if we try to boycott everything we don't like. lol.. We'd probably never leave the house if we tried to do that!

Even though I voted No on 8, I'm not boycotting anything. For the first few days, I was upset about the results, but life has to go on. We all have to try to get along.

Besides, I'm not sure that the boycotts or protests accomplish much. The final verdicts on Prop 8 will likely be decided in the courts, anyway.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 AM

630 posts, read 1,294,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Good deal, I'll use it as my directory when I need to spend my money, it works both ways, the small amount of money they may lose will be made up by their many new customers.
same here

Old 11-17-2008, 08:28 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Your problem is you have this illogical fear or hatred towards gay people. I know the Univ. of Kentucky (UK) is not a very good university nor is it very sophisticated, but that's no excuse. I know people in Louisville who never finished college and who act with a lot more class and sophistication than you.
Louisville is quite liberal dear. I don't have a fear or a hatered. I just flat out would rather not be around it. MY CHOICE.

Here is a little wiki like about Kentucky. Hmmm...yep pretty good.
overall rank university of kentucky - Google Search

If your idea of sophistication is old coffee shops, comspiracy theorys, gay and lesbian hangouts, etc. ... Then I am so glad that Kentucky is NOT sophisticated as you would like it to be. Don't worry about what I think.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:29 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The Christian Right organizations are boycotting things constantly, and they do sometimes get what they want.
I've never been told by the Mormon Church to boycott anything.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The Anti Prop 8 Mafia is not only targeting companies. They have a witch hunt to "whack" individuals, as well. That's nasty and disgusting.
And its going to blow up in their faces.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM

This is just, well, BEAUTIFUL.

LAT's Rutten: 'Both Sides' in Calif. Marriage Debate 'Need to Cool Down' | NewsBusters.org

Old 11-17-2008, 10:51 AM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
The Anti Proposition 8 Nazis have created a blacklist:

Prop. 8 Anger Spurs Donor Blacklists, CBS Evening News: Online Donor Lists Prompt Boycotts Of Same-Sex Marriage Ban Supporters - CBS News

So much for diversity and open minds!!
when these organizations are giving money to prevent equality for gay people, HOW is it wrong to boycott those organizations? That's like saying it would be insular and rigid to boycott "The KKK store."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies