Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:33 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

Are you being sarcastic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
How interesting for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 02:37 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Are you being sarcastic?
A little

Old 01-15-2009, 02:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Buzz off then. This forum is for mature audiences only.

Quote:
A little

Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Nothing that you're saying changes the facts. Male homosexuality is an inherently dangerous lifestyle. In fact, your own statements only further prove my point...even WITH, as you claim, most gay men using condoms, HIV is STILL much more prevalent in gay males than in the population as a whole. So even taking precautions, it's still dangerous...THAT SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING.
You just agreed earlier that homosexuality, in and of itself, is not dangerous, and now you're saying that it is.

I thought you also were able to see the difference between behavior and sexual orientation.

Who's more at risk for contracting HIV?

a) A heterosexual man or woman who has unprotected sex with 100 strangers in one year, or

b) A homosexual man who doesn't have anal sex, but has 3 or 4 oral sex partners who he's met with regularly over the last couple of years?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Buzz off then. This forum is for mature audiences only.
lol, the two are not mutually exclusive...

Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You just agreed earlier that homosexuality, in and of itself, is not dangerous, and now you're saying that it is.

I thought you also were able to see the difference between behavior and sexual orientation.

Who's more at risk for contracting HIV?

a) A heterosexual man or woman who has unprotected sex with 100 strangers in one year, or

b) A homosexual man who doesn't have anal sex, but has 3 or 4 oral sex partners who he's met with regularly over the last couple of years?
You tried this whole "contradicting yourself" in the other thread, to no avail.

As I said, merely feeling attraction to the same sex is hardly risky. No more than feeling attraction to the opposite sex or your dog or a hole in the ground, for that matter.

And, in your specific example, obviously person "a" is at higher risk.

However, that doesn't change the reality that homosexual males are more likely to have HIV/AIDS than any other single group. In fact, there is nothing that can change this reality. Reality doesn't care if it hurts your feelings or if it's not politically correct. That's the beautiful thing about reality.

To illustrate this point, knowing nothing else about two people, other than that one is a homosexual male and one is not, which one is statistically more likely to have contracted HIV?

Old 01-15-2009, 03:41 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
FOXNews.com - Bone Marrow Transplant May Have Cured AIDS Patient - Health News | Current Health News | Medical News

If this is true, AIDS could become the next polio! By 2035, I predict AIDS will be no longer a common disease.
What about Magic Johnson? He was HIV positive and was somehow cured years ago. I believe there has been a cure for AIDS around for a long time. But as everyone knows, there is more money in the treatment than the cure. And AIDS is literally a cash cow. The medications for controlling the disease are astronomically priced, not to mention the money spent on common drugs for common ailments. Sure, it may sound barbaric but there are literally dozens of diseases out there that could be cured but are instead "treated"

Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
What about Magic Johnson? He was HIV positive and was somehow cured years ago. I believe there has been a cure for AIDS around for a long time. But as everyone knows, there is more money in the treatment than the cure. And AIDS is literally a cash cow. The medications for controlling the disease are astronomically priced, not to mention the money spent on common drugs for common ailments. Sure, it may sound barbaric but there are literally dozens of diseases out there that could be cured but are instead "treated"
There is some truth to this. The polio vaccine was vigorously resisted for just this reason.

However, as I said before, we've never successfully cured a viral infection. Our approach to treating viral infections consists of three things...

1. Treat the symptoms, as necessary, and let the body handle it
2. Vaccines, which let the body recognize and attack a virus before it gets a foothold in the body.
3. Largely ineffective drugs that try to directly attack the virus. Mostly, these seem to hinder the virus just enough to give the body the edge it needs to fight the virus itself.

And even with these three tools, there are some viruses that you get and never get rid of, even if they are no longer making you sick. Chicken pox, for example. HPV and HSV are other examples. Other viruses, like the "common cold", we seem to be able to get rid of...until the next version of it comes around.

In other words, I am highly doubtful that Magic Johnson was cured years ago. It's possible that, thanks to his fortune, he's been able to get the treatment necessary to keep his HIV in check. That's just speculation, of course, but whatever the case is, I would need to see some real proof that he had HIV and then he didn't have HIV.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
To illustrate this point, knowing nothing else about two people, other than that one is a homosexual male and one is not, which one is statistically more likely to have contracted HIV?
Yes, statistically, you're certainly correct, but your overall goal seems to be to label homosexuality as "dangerous" and all gay men as carriers of HIV. I'm hope I'm wrong about that.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Yes, statistically, you're certainly correct, but your overall goal seems to be to label homosexuality as "dangerous" and all gay men as carriers of HIV. I'm hope I'm wrong about that.
Fine me anywhere that I said either of those two things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies