Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:52 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,580,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Not according to the First Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Right, the government could not force your church to perform a religious marriage ceremony for a gay couple, as is only right. However, your religious beliefs and those of others should not be the cause of discrimination under the law. A gay couple should have the same right to go and get a marriage license as a heterosexual couple, a right which you want to continue to deny to citizens because of your religious beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 08:01 PM

998 posts, read 1,509,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I am not going to get into an argument about interpreting the constitution.....it is wrong to use PUBLIC land to display RELIGIOUS symbols....and the LAW has backed me up in many cases.
You must be one of those "shove your religion down everyone else's throat and trample over everyone else's rights" types...
She apparently doesn't know what happened to Chief Justice Roy Moore and his Ten Commandments display:

Roy Moore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CNN.com - Ten Commandments judge removed from office - Nov. 14, 2003

The ethics panel said Moore put himself above the law by "willfully and publicly" flouting the order to remove the 2.6-ton monument from the state judicial building's rotunda in August.
U.S. District Judge Myron Thompson ruled the granite carving was an unconstitutional endorsement of religion. Moore refused to obey the order but was overruled by his eight colleagues on the state Supreme Court.

Edit: Adding this bit about nativity scenes, creches, menorahs, et al on public property:

Are such displays constitutional? The answer is, it depends. If the religious symbols are displayed alone, it is an unconstitutional violation of the separation of church and state. The controlling case in such instances is County of Allegheny v. ACLU, decided in 1989. In this case, the Supreme Court found that creche standing on the grand staircase of the Allegheny County Courthouse in Pittsburgh was impermissible.

http://atheism.about.com/od/religiou...ydisplay_2.htm

Old 11-15-2008, 08:29 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,200,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Absolutely! Why not? When we slide down the slope of moral depravity it's hard to stop the landslide. Sorry.

There are cults, clubs, groups, segments of the population who are very.....into their animals.
Slippery slope arguments are asinine.

When they gave the vote to women, did that lead to granting the vote to animals? People are smarter than that (at least most are).

When the Mormons abandoned polygamy, did they continue down the slippery slope and abandon 2-person marriage?

Please come up with an argument that has a rational basis.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,964,074 times
Quote:
I am not going to get into an argument about interpreting the constitution.....it is wrong to use PUBLIC land to display RELIGIOUS symbols....and the LAW has backed me up in many cases.
You must be one of those "shove your religion down everyone else's throat and trample over everyone else's rights" types...
Show me where it states that in the constitution?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:08 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,089,638 times
Quote:
Show me where it states that in the constitution?
What? That you're a "shove your religion down everyone else's throat and trample over everyone else's rights" types...?

Why would it have to say that in the constitution?????

OH! You mean where you have to keep your religion off my property???
It may not, I told I wasn't going to argue the Constitution.
However, the law says you have to.

I'll try to help you.....seat belts aren't mentioned in the Constitution...in my state you have to wear one ...it's the law.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
What? That you're a "shove your religion down everyone else's throat and trample over everyone else's rights" types...?

Why would it have to say that in the constitution?????

OH! You mean where you have to keep your religion off my property???
It may not, I told I wasn't going to argue the Constitution.
However, the law says you have to.
I don't believe in placing religious symbols on other's private property so you do not have to worry about that.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:15 PM

998 posts, read 1,509,036 times
Quote:
I don't believe in placing religious symbols on other's private property so you do not have to worry about that.
I think he meant property owned by the public, not private property.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:17 PM

500 posts, read 907,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Absolutely! Why not? When we slide down the slope of moral depravity it's hard to stop the landslide. Sorry.
So the american family today that consists of a 50% divorce rate, rampant drug abuse, extreme poverty and single parent households is a picture of moral perfection? If modern day america hasn't already slid us all into barnyard orgys and polyagumus relationships with cats and dogs I dont know what the **** will.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,143,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree. I think those FLDS types in Texas are nothing but a sex cult, with massive brainwashing of girls/women. I wish there was a way to shut them down as I think they do a dis-service to all religions, and are nothing but a tax scam.
I agree. I cannot believe that crap is STILL going on,even after the raid at the one in...was it Texas? I've read a few autobiographies by woen who escaped from the FLDS cult,and that is some TRULY scary stuff. Right here in the US,too. They are totally using religion to brainwash these people,and after several generations of it,these people are just trapped. I don't understand why if they call it "religion" they get a get-out-of-jail- free card,& can break all the laws they want as far as raping children,tax evasion,child abuse,etc. etc.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
I think he meant property owned by the public, not private property.
We all have rights to public property as we all pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies