Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:21 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Goals:

1. No more foreign military adventures.
2. No more secret prisons.
3. No more torture.
4. No more spying on Americans.
5. No more legal discrimination against homosexuals.

and lest go further...

energy independence
end of gas in cars in this country
develop and lead the solar and wind power as a new industry
investigate the wrong doings of the government and Bush administration and hold accountable.
prosecute some politicians and you will be on the road to eliminate graft - put Bush in jail or worse and that profit won't look so attractive to the other cowards that took part in it
restore the Constitution
restore civil liberties
end of the Federal Reserve
End the IRS
I wouldnt even argue the end of the monetary system - [SIZE=2] Zeitgeist - The Movie
fight the abuse of drugs at the consumer level, treat it as a social problem not a legal one... yes that means legalizing drugs and getting people off of them.
improve education
reform justice system
reduce unwanted pregnancies
surgically attack terrorists and their families in their homes or where ever they lurk.
reduce the size of the government
develop and improve work for welfare programs at the state level
help companies that promote American's working , eliminate breaks for those that don't

Save money on
military
less government
unified tax structures with fewer loopholes
federal reserve

Is that succinct enough?
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 06:10 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
Well, As a conservative I am for

1: Making sure that everybody is a Christain. Jesus and the bible will be taught in all public schools, believing in evolution will be punishable by stoning, and dinosaur bones will be thought as what they really are; "tricks from God to test the faith of the weak". All other religions are wrong and should not be tolerated.

2: My right to buy automatic assult rifles will never be taken away. I have the right to buy a gun that can unload 2000 bullets into a squirrel and blow it away to smitherians if I choose too. As a Christain I don't care about the urban city children who die every day to these guns.

3: I want to see the US take its Christain right and defeat every muslim country in the world. I want war with Iran, Syria, North Korea, Spain, Mexico, Canada, and the rest of those un-Pro, un-Christain countries in this world. BRING EM ON!

4: I want all kids to stop going to college and getting educated. It is in these institutions that they learn liberal ideas that are destroying this great Christian nation. Kids should be educated in church, and that is it. The only thing worth learning is the Jesus is my savior!

5: The environment is meant to be ruined. I don't want any new technology or any of this "green" crap. I want to destroy every forest and drive over all the endangered species with my hummer. I love God, but just not his crappy Earth he made. The Earth is his biggest mistake, and he put us here to make sure we destroy it, and stop hippie liberal losers from saving it.

6: There should be restrictions on books, movies, and music albums that question God or this country. We should be able to ban everything that isn't fit and insults Pro-American Christians. Books in libraries should be burned, and the only place to get a book should be in a Protastant church.

7: None of us should pay taxes. I hate them. We don't need goverenment to build our roads, bridges, airports, or schools. God will provide that stuff for us. If you pray, he will build it...

8. I hate acutual towns with central business districts. They should all be abandoned and we should make every town in America one large Walmart. A town with its own identity and small stores is for hippy liberal losers. Real Americans shop at Walmart. Everytown in America big or small should have a Walmart on the edge, and homogeneous box style housing in the middle!

9: All the crap I buy should be from China. If goods are made in the US than we won't have time to pray to Jesus. A bad economy brings on a stronger need for Obeying the Lord. Economy bad. Praying to Jesus, Good.

I have more, but thats my ideas so far.
As a conservative, I really don't appreciate you mocking and generalizing a whole group of people by what some might believe. I have enough respect and consideration to take in and listen to what someone of opposing views is saying and I would expect the same. It's ashame that you have taken what a few believe and extrapolated it onto an entire group of people.

I'm a Christian and I believe in evolution; sounds like an oxymoron or a contradiction right? I'd be willing to explain it to you, but we are not here to talk about that. I believe that education is one of the top prioties that needs to be adressed. I believe that we need to make it slightly harder for teachers, so we can have competent teachers. For too long I've had to deal with teachers who didn't know enough to come in from the rain, let alone teach. I believe that teachers shouldn't teach toward test. I believe the should teach to a higher level, so that those on the lower levels have to try to come up and be on par wit the rest of the class. For too long we have had incompetent teachers in our schools who couldn't teach a dog how to sit.

I believe that there is a way to purge our system of crooks and money hungry politicians. It will just take someone who is willing to be attacked in order to better serve the PEOPLE not their personal interest. I believe that the heads of these corporations and these congressmen and senators should be put on the stand. I believe what they have done and are doing should be brought to the light and their position should be taken from them for their crimes.

Do you know one of the main reasons U.S. corporations go overseas with their companies and jobs? Because of unions. Unions are great because they ensure your pay to a certain extent, but if you flip that coin on the other side, unions are also a higher cost to business; and business is always trying to mitigate cost. It is better for business to go overseas where there are no unions and they can pay ten where they would have to pay one in the U.S. That's why most of our cars are imported, it would be economically better for us to continue to buy cars overseas rather than have to pay a higher cost here at home. It's ashame but it's the blatant truth.

We have brilliant engineers, scientist, architects, and great thinkers here that could come up with a reasonable and logical plan for us to become energy dependant and for us to come up with a new hybrid automobile. It's ashame that the personal interest of big corporations and fat cats keep us from achieving such a goal; and FYI its from both sides of the spectrum that cause this to happen. It's from the democrats and the republicans; one party is not to blame for we all have dirt on our hands.

A way to bring jobs back to America is to "beautify" the country in a sense. FDR did it in the thirties, we can do it now. It's a way to put contracters, architects, artists, and others back to work. Rebuilding bridges, designing buildings, remodiling, beautifying these said buildings. This is the way to bring jobs back. While tax breaks for business is one way, it is not the only way.

I also believe, that overtime we can slowly bring ourselves out of this insane amount of debt. It won't happen in four years. Heck, I'd say we'd be doing good if 50-100 years from now half the debt was gone. It takes preserverance and dedication to solve long term problems. We need to stop with the fix it now solutions and look into the long term. We need to stop worrying about not having today and start investing into tomorrow. Only when we do this can we overcome some of the problems that plague us today.

For too long, the cries of the poor and innercities peoples have been ignored. For too long people have thought badly of the poor as stupid people who got their because of the ignorant decisions. I don't believe they should be bailed out of their situation or given loans that they could never pay back, but we need to get into the hoods and ghettos of our country. We need to show these young people that violence, illicit guns and drugs, and the life of a thug is not the only way to suceed in life. Most say that the resources are available to these kids but most often they aren't. You can't lead a horse to water, if there isn't anyone there to get that horse that water or if there isn't any water at all. We need to help these kids and there family. We need to STOP thinking that everyone on welfare or foodstamps are freeloading mama's that pop out a baby every few years to get a bigger check. Some of the people living in innercities are there trying to get out, but they have no way out when violence and drug money is all around them. That's all they see and that's all they know and until they have an epiphany about that life and criticizing them won't change a thing. It is our job as moral citizens to help those in the innercities and hoods. It's our job to help them on the bike and teach them how to ride. As the saying goes, you give a man a fish, you feed him for the day. You teach him how to fish you feed him for a lifetime.

We also need to unite together and stand as a strong country instead of dividing amongst ourselves. Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, gays and christians (not saying that if your gay you can't be a christian though), pro-choice and pro-life. We need to come together as one central body instead of spewing hate and intolerance against each other. How can we go and expect other countries to take us seriously and repect the American dream and ideas when we fight and bicker among ourselves like mongrels? How can we expect a better future when we are not willing to put in the work today? It doesn't matter what party you belong to, as individuals we need to stand together and be ADULTS about the hard times that are upon us. Whining, pity, and hate amongst ourselves will not change reality. It won't change the economic crisis, our sour favoring in other countries, or the war in Iraq. Sitting down and talking and compromising amongst OURSELVES will; and when we have united as one central body, then we can tackle our issues about a country; until then, nothing won't change.

Last edited by kb09; 11-15-2008 at 06:20 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
Kb09; That was a nice post... Seems we only can't agree on HOW to get those things achieved.

But..I believe the poster was being sarcastic. Much of the same generalizations have been made about those of us who have been called "liberal" and I think THAT was the point he was getting across. As ridiculous as those generalizations are to you.. so are the ones that are spewed about the liberals on this board..

Including a post about a pyschiatrist who calls us liberals mentally ill.. LOL.. which is a completely ridiculous and insulting statement.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:19 PM

659 posts, read 1,084,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Kb09; That was a nice post... Seems we only can't agree on HOW to get those things achieved.

But..I believe the poster was being sarcastic. Much of the same generalizations have been made about those of us who have been called "liberal" and I think THAT was the point he was getting across. As ridiculous as those generalizations are to you.. so are the ones that are spewed about the liberals on this board..

Including a post about a pyschiatrist who calls us liberals mentally ill.. LOL.. which is a completely ridiculous and insulting statement.

I completely understand what you are saying. Personally I would just like it if everyone would stop generalizing a group of people for what a few say; and that's on both sides. I've heard conservatives and republicans being sterotyped as truck driving, gun holding, rednecks with overalls who couldn't save there life if they had to spell an entire sentence correctly. I've also heard people sterotype democrats and liberals as illogical nutjobs who are all headed on a highway to hell. There has been plently of hate from both sides and I hope one day it might be possible for us to sit down and talk like adults without each side calling one another fat heads and poopy faces.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 700 times
what are settelment patterns in iran ?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I want my children and grandchildren:
To view all people as equal no matter what color or sexual orientation.
To have similar values and morals as I do because I brought them up that way, not because the government has made them law.
I want the difference between what a corporate CEO makes and what the middle class worker makes not be as HUGE as it is now.
I want them to go to college and have a career doing something they enjoy, and to be able to support their family comfortably doing so.
If one of my children turns out to be gay, I want him to be able to marry his partner or at least have a civil union with ALL of the same perks as marriage.
I want them to drink clean water and breath clean air.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:53 PM

416 posts, read 712,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
So, you voted for change, just for change? I fear so many people did this.

Please give me an example of what you consider an outrageous policy. Please give people on this forum reasonable room to disagree intelligently, too.
Two huge examples:

USA PATRIOT Act. The Dems didn't even have the guts to insist on reading it before blindly voting for it like sheep going to the slaughter.

Bush insisted on executive privilege in dealing with how to prosecute (or not prosecute) suspected terrorists. This involved literally making up policies as things went along. As this is a nation of laws, Congress had the authority to regulate how prisoners were dealt with, but Congress was perfectly happy to let them be dealt with in the dark, in secret prisons, in foreign countries. Even if Congress couldn't get something past a presidential veto, the Democratic leadership had a moral duty to try, and then to make those vetos central campaign issues. And they utterly failed to do that.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:23 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I appreciate your compelling argument for and rational explanation of conservatism. It is unfortunate that many of us have such a tainted view. The Republican party, having taken up divisive social issues as their platform and calling that conservatism, has given a respectable ideology a terrible reputation. At least they have a platform, I guess you could argue.

Now, to digress into divisive social issues, how do you advocate less intervention from the government and then justify passing laws regarding sexual preference or what happens between a woman and her doctor? It just seems selective. I'm assuming where you stand on these things, if I'm wrong, you see my point at least, right?

I agree that charity works better than social programs which are prone to waste and abuse (like all things government are) but I think a fundamental difference between Liberals and Conservatives is faith in human nature. Maybe it's religious optimism we Liberals lack, but it has been my experience that human nature is not something to be trusted without bounds. Humans do despicable things and running around talking about the gospel does not an honest man make. And our government really is of the people, so we have to stop referring to it as something beyond our reach. If a government of the people cannot be trusted, why should I trust the people without restraint? I don't advocate more or bigger government, but Liberals have faith that we the people can make a better government. And that is better than a privatised government.
I think it is fair to say the pro life position is that the issue is not just between the doctor & the mother, but the unborn child as well. And just as people would reasonably expect the state to ban the killing of a 2 month old infant, the state can be reasonably expected to ban the killing of a living human in utero. You may disagree with the position, but for someone coming at the debate with a POV that the unborn child is a human with the same right to life as a 2 day, month, year, or decade old person - and not merely a mass or fetus - banning abortion involves no expansion of state power. By disallowing abortion, the state is preventing the ending of a life, a life that happens to still be in utero, but a life all the same, just as it does by disallowing the taking of human life at other ages. Therefore there is no additional intervention or expansion of state power

I don't believe any mainstream conservative is advocating that the state act against any person based on their sexual preference. They may be against altering laws (i.e. marriage) to accomodate them, but that is different then the state passing laws against a relationship - sexual or otherwise - between two homosexuals, as you stated above.

Lastly I really have to disagree with your last paragraph. I believe it is conservatives who belive man is inherently flawed - we are all sinners, etc. Its is those on the left whose ideas require a belief in man's inherent goodness. Which is why communist believed men would continue to work hard even if they were were paid the same as those who did not work at all or peaceniks believe in unilateral disarmanent.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:11 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Is that a cheap shot? Please don't turn this thread into any form of bashing or hurt feelings. I am not attempting to judge or be judged, but hopefully, we can ask questions, get honest informed opinion answers, add history, some hope, and maybe we can find a way to ultimately lead this forum to peace and justice for all. Maybe we can find hope for our nation, too.

Dude, You seriously voted for Carter twice?

Why?

Old 02-14-2009, 03:24 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
This is interesting indeed. I always thought conservatives never had any manners and you are clear proof of that.

And from what finishing school did you get canned?

"chauvnisitic pig syndrome spreads fast amongst these boards."

"Edumacation, it is gud!"

"Its jerkbags like this priest that ruin a perfectly good religion with their need to powertrip. If he truly believes what his religion preaches, he's probably going to be damned to hell."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies