Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,976 times

Advertisements

Senator Ruben Diaz Sr. declared he would forfeit his membership in the Democratic Caucus of NY State if they pushed for the right for same-sex couples to marry. 53% of Latinos voted in favor of Prop 8 in California. Why?

Latinos and the Fight for Gay Rights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,996,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Senator Ruben Diaz Sr. declared he would forfeit his membership in the Democratic Caucus of NY State if they pushed for the right for same-sex couples to marry. 53% of Latinos voted in favor of Prop 8 in California. Why?

California has too many immigrants! they are stuck in the ways of the old country and vote accordingly. when i lived in socal, i encountered some older mexicans that voted for W just b/c they thought that kerry was for gay marriage. their religious beliefs hold them back. many are poor and uneducated and vote more on cultural issues. as a 4th generation mexican american, i believe strongly in the role of education and think that there is a lot of work to be done. i think that gay rights is a civil rights issue with primarily white religions proposing their prejudice stamp on laws. this is no different than what whites have done to minorities throughout the whole history of this country. Dialogues must be formed with these folk to make our point. however, many younger gay latinos might have a hard time bringing it up even in their own families.

btw, that Ny dude looked "black" to me.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:22 PM

917 posts, read 2,298,994 times
Most Latinos are Roman Catholic. That church claims that using birth control is a mortal sin that could send one to hell. They are probably voting out of fear of going to hell.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:21 PM

114 posts, read 207,509 times
This is why I do not understand why gay rights groups want to align themselves with illegal immigration groups. Many illegal aliens are Hispanic and notoriously homophobic.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:31 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,252 times
The real question is why not? everybody has the right to vote as they wish, why would anyone vote agians't their will for something they don't agree with?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:34 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,171,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post

Simply because a majority of Latin Americans are religious. A lot of blacks are religious, too. You will notice that a large portion of the Chinese Americans voted just like the Latin Americans, but perhaps because they have a strong sense family unity.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:14 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
California has too many immigrants! they are stuck in the ways of the old country and vote accordingly. when i lived in socal, i encountered some older mexicans that voted for W just b/c they thought that kerry was for gay marriage. their religious beliefs hold them back. many are poor and uneducated and vote more on cultural issues. as a 4th generation mexican american, i believe strongly in the role of education and think that there is a lot of work to be done. i think that gay rights is a civil rights issue with primarily white religions proposing their prejudice stamp on laws. this is no different than what whites have done to minorities throughout the whole history of this country. Dialogues must be formed with these folk to make our point. however, many younger gay latinos might have a hard time bringing it up even in their own families.

btw, that Ny dude looked "black" to me.

I believe when Hispanics are the largest group in the Dem party and our vote makes or breaks Dem politicians .
The Dem party will make the Conservatives in the Rep party look liberal when it comes to social issues.

If amnesty is given gay marriage will have another 20 million votes against it.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
The real question is why not? everybody has the right to vote as they wish, why would anyone vote agians't their will for something they don't agree with?

Your right they should vote as they want .
IMO it should have never been put to a vote and politicians should have stepped up and legalized or begun the steps in legalizing gay marriages.

Why isnt Pelosi,etc trying to legalize gay marriage ? because they dont believe in it otherwise they wouldnt have left it to a vote .

I dont count empty speeches as doing something.
Gays will never have legal marriage unless they hold politicians accountable because it will not come via a vote .

Old 11-18-2008, 11:01 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,996,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
I believe when Hispanics are the largest group in the Dem party and our vote makes or breaks Dem politicians .
The Dem party will make the Conservatives in the Rep party look liberal when it comes to social issues.

If amnesty is given gay marriage will have another 20 million votes against it.

That in itself is a great reason to send them all back to mexico. Not ot mention all of the free goodies that they would demand such as: free healthcare, free education, free Medicare, low income housing, social security and SSI. our American elderly have worked too hard to be giving up their benefits to help those foreign opportunists. Let's take care of our own.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:04 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,585,983 times
They voted against gay equality for the same reason white conservatives do: lack of college education.

There is an inverse relationship between level of education (4-year degree or higher) and homophobic attitudes.

Also, keep in mind many latinos are very religous and easily brain-washed by their priests and preachers, just like Republicans.

And PS: that guy from that article doesn't look like a latino. He looks black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies