Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON - The day after Barack Obama was elected president, Kari Fulton heard a white colleague proclaim that racism in America is dead.

She cringed, worrying it might be a sign of flagging interest in the fight against discrimination.

"In reality, racism is still very much alive and well," said Fulton, who graduated last year from Howard University, a historically black college in the nation's capital.

Obama's election has generated a euphoria among black Americans that is palpable. For some, the weight of history has finally been eased after generations of struggling for equality. But amid the postelection glow of racial harmony lurks a sobering fact: Racial disparities persist — in just about every measurable form — and they won't simply melt away because the nation has a black president.

More: Racism remains 'alive and well' in U.S. - Race & ethnicity- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:29 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Racism will never go away, but the call to black people to each individually strive for what is high and noble gains much more intensity with the election of Barack Obama. This applies to those who are currently not doing so.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:28 AM

64 posts, read 131,160 times
It is definitely alive and well, and white people bear the brunt of it. It is no fun being a member of the most hated demographic in the World.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn72 View Post
It is definitely alive and well, and white people bear the brunt of it. It is no fun being a member of the most hated demographic in the World.

Golly, Glenn, I couldn't agree more! I just hate it when I see family members lynched, or stopped for Driving While White, or being steered toward certain neighborhoods and schools....
Oh. Wait a minute. That hasn't happened.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,768,692 times
The "Race-card" remains alive & well....

Old 11-25-2008, 07:55 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,695 times
Traditionally, 85% of black voters vote democrat.

This election it was 93%, with a record turnout. That means 8% more, in larger numbers than ever before, turned out to vote.

Now....what was different about this election than previous ones? Anyone?

It might be the same reason that the 106 year old woman turned out to vote for the first time in her life...she never though she'd get the chance to vote for a black man for prez.

Yes, racism is alive and well. We automatically label a guy that votes for a white candidate based on skin color as racist...why not the reverse?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 9,686 times
I saw a poster by a black gun rights advocate that said BaRAK AND KKK HAD SAME AGENDA KILL MORE NON-WHITES USING ABORTION and take away 2nd amendment rights (gun rights)from those that need them most :inner city law-abiding citizens! hows that helping blacks? not to mention more public programs to keep another generation of minorities in bondage to daddy government.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:16 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Unfortunately it will take more than one man, President elect Obama, to wipe out racism in the US. I think we are making some progress.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:03 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,595 times
Racism exists because Americans like to be comfortable. They feel comfortable when they are around things that are familiar to them. Their homes, their cars, and their people. We Americans love our labels, and we love to identify ourselves with our labels.

Like I told my son after Obama won the election, son, you are no longer Asian-American, now you are just Asian. So many forget that Obama is mixed race, with white being half of it, kinda like most folks soon forgot Tiger Woods is black/asian, but they always considered him black. It's a label, Obama doesn't look like a white man, so he has to get the label black.

There is nothing wrong with labels, the problem comes from folks who start to look at folks who fall under different labels and think the themselves "I'm better than them", or "They are not like me, so I fear them". Either way it creates issues. We need to become more willing to step over the label lines and see how others view the world. When I married my wife who is filipino, I had no clue about the Philippines other than what I had read about the country from World War 2. The things she taught me about her culture I would have never been able to find out on my own (this was before we were married, met her in basic training of the Air Force of all places!).

Will racism go away anytime soon? Nope, Americans like their comfortable labels way to much. Best we can do is keep an open mind, teach our children to keep an open mind, and try to make a change slowly and permantely.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,720,443 times
Lets go into the ghetto where racism is rampant. Per capita more racist blacks than whites... truly disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies