Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 06:28 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times

Advertisements

I've read through 37 pages and I'm still in the dark about what the term "homosexual lifestyle" is supposed to mean.

It would be very handy to know what sort of lifestyle I am "supposed" to be leading.

I am very happy with my current lifestyle of living in a loving, monogamous relationship with my partner of 10 years, raising our children together, working, paying taxes/mortgage/bills, sharing household duties equally, renovating our home, enjoying family meals and outings together, having BBQ's with friends, etc etc.

Not really any different from our heterosexual neighbour's "lifestyle" - except my partner and I seem to communicate much better with each other and our children. Our daughters are much better behaved and have better self-esteem, are more open-minded and do better at school than our straight neighbour's children. Oh and we don't get drunk and yell and hit each other or our children like our last straight neighbors did. And our garden is much prettier...

I suppose there is another difference too. Our neighbours are married. We would love to be married too, but apparently our "lifestyle" is somehow offensive to many people.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong and need to join my fellow homosexuals in their "homosexual lifestyle" - if only I knew what it was.

Could someone PLEASE tell me! What IS this elusive, mysterious "homosexual lifestyle" I keep hearing about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 06:32 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
I think thats the point of all those pages... not one person has been able to come up with A specific definition of a lifestyle..

Old 11-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I think thats the point of all those pages... not one person has been able to come up with A specific definition of a lifestyle..
Bingo.

Because there isn't one.

"Homosexual lifestyle" is as meaningless and nonsensical a term as "female lifestyle" or "male lifestyle" or "heterosexual lifestyle".

Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Agreed. And honestly, I don't think I've ever known anyone with a sense of humor or a likable personality that uses the term "homosexual lifestyle".

It's not only a misnomer, it sounds so stuffy and uptight, doesn't it?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Agreed. And honestly, I don't think I've ever known anyone with a sense of humor or a likable personality that uses the term "homosexual lifestyle".

It's not only a misnomer, it sounds so stuffy and uptight, doesn't it?
Some people talk about homosexuality like it's a BAD thing!

Absolutely Shocking!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:18 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I've read through 37 pages and I'm still in the dark about what the term "homosexual lifestyle" is supposed to mean.

It would be very handy to know what sort of lifestyle I am "supposed" to be leading.

I am very happy with my current lifestyle of living in a loving, monogamous relationship with my partner of 10 years, raising our children together, working, paying taxes/mortgage/bills, sharing household duties equally, renovating our home, enjoying family meals and outings together, having BBQ's with friends, etc etc.

Not really any different from our heterosexual neighbour's "lifestyle" - except my partner and I seem to communicate much better with each other and our children. Our daughters are much better behaved and have better self-esteem, are more open-minded and do better at school than our straight neighbour's children. Oh and we don't get drunk and yell and hit each other or our children like our last straight neighbors did. And our garden is much prettier...

I suppose there is another difference too. Our neighbours are married. We would love to be married too, but apparently our "lifestyle" is somehow offensive to many people.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong and need to join my fellow homosexuals in their "homosexual lifestyle" - if only I knew what it was.

Could someone PLEASE tell me! What IS this elusive, mysterious "homosexual lifestyle" I keep hearing about?
First, congratulations about your happiness.

As for the rest, it's very possible that your daughters are all of what you have said in comparison to your heterosexual neighbor, but that does not mean that it's the case with all families. It's possible that your heterosexual neighbors are having family problems, and this has nothing to do with being married or not. Also, your perceptions will always lead you stray in relation to what is better or worst in relation to how families should be. In fact, one's perceptions are just that: one's perceptions, and nothing more.

In reality, depending of where you live at (your neighborhood), your 'lifestyle" could be seen by others as abnormal, or as normal. But the bottom line is that the fairest way for children to develop their sexuality is in a situation where there there are good male and female role models they can identify with. Having only one sex role model (two males, or two females) is lopsided. Why do I believe this way, you may ask? The answer is as follows:

From a very early age, children begin to develop their sexuality. As they mature within a normal and non-abusive family, the average girl develops sexually based on traits, actions (or whatever you may want to call them) related to her father. As the girl matures, she is drawn sexually to those things within the family (father) that made her comfortable, happy, etc. So, she relates or identifies with the same things as she comes in contact with boys. The same situation happens in the case of boys, for their sexuality develops in a similar manner as the girls, except that they in turn see in girls things they like about their mothers.

This is the ideal family situation I am referring to.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-14-2008 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 07:36 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,016,954 times
[quote=RayinAK;6163845]First, congratulations about your happiness.

As for the rest, it's very possible that your daughters are all of what you have said in comparison to your heterosexual neighbor, but that does not mean that it's the case with all families. It's possible that your heterosexual neighbors are having family problems, and this has nothing to do with being married or not. Also, your perceptions will always lead you stray in relation to what is better or worst in relation to how families should be. In fact, one's perceptions are just that: one's perceptions, and nothing more.

In reality, depending of where you live at (your neighborhood), your 'lifestyle" could be seen by others as abnormal, or as normal. But the bottom line is that the fairest way for children to develop their sexuality is in a situation where there there are good male and female role models they can identify with. Having only one sex role model (two males, or two females) is lopsided. Why do I believe this way, you may ask? The answer is as follows:

From a very early age, children begin to develop their sexuality. As they mature within a normal and and non-abusive family, the average girl develops sexually based on traits, actions (or whatever you may want to call them) related to her father. As the girl matures, she is drawn to those things within the family that made it comfortable, happy, etc. So, she learn to recognize and be attracted by those things she saw in her father-when they are in contact with boys. The same situation happens in the case of boys, for their sexuality develops in a similar manner as the girls, except that they in turn see in girls things they like about their mothers.[/quote]
I agree. I was raised by my mother alone as my father passed away when I was young. My mother provided excellent care but I felt the gap that was left by not having a father figure in my life as I was growing up. I'm sure the poster you were responding to probably is a good parent, but children need the influence of both a father and a mother. This is also why I'm against divorce (except in extreme cases) because of the harmful effects on children. We need to be strengthening our marriages, not redefining them.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:37 PM

[quote=RayinAK;6163845]First, congratulations about your happiness.

From a very early age, children begin to develop their sexuality. As they mature within a normal and and non-abusive family, the average girl develops sexually based on traits, actions (or whatever you may want to call them) related to her father. As the girl matures, she is drawn to those things within the family that made it comfortable, happy, etc. So, she learn to recognize and be attracted by those things she saw in her father-when they are in contact with boys. The same situation happens in the case of boys, for their sexuality develops in a similar manner as the girls, except that they in turn see in girls things they like about their mothers.[/quote]

I agree. I was raised by my mother alone as my father passed away when I was young. My mother provided excellent care but I felt the gap that was left by not having a father figure in my life as I was growing up. I'm sure the poster you were responding to probably is a good parent, but children need the influence of both a father and a mother. This is also why I'm against divorce (except in extreme cases) because of the harmful effects on children. We need to be strengthening our marriages, not redefining them.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:53 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,837 times
just got off of work, what did I miss?

Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 AM

EEKS! Sorry for the duplicate post! I was having trouble with the quoting feature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies