Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Do you treat gay people differently?

If you sense somebody is gay. Do you do anything to them socially that might hurt them, discriminate against them, block them from interaction with others or from success at work, or create negativity around them?

A straight poster yesterday said he likes to tease gay men to get their hopes up and then break their hearts by telling them he isn't interested, he said he liked to do this because he hates gays so much.

Who else does this type of behavior and why is there hate? What is the purpose of discrimination or hurting people that are different mentally? Do you not see it as sociopathic or unethical or very wrong?
Nope, I don't care if someone's gay. I don't talk about sex stuff with coworkers anyway so it doesn't come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 08:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Hopefully, people have evolved in the nine years since the thread was started.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:

A straight poster yesterday said he likes to tease gay men to get their hopes up and then break their hearts by telling them he isn't interested, he said he liked to do this because he hates gays so much.
I wonder if he hates gays even more than he loves girls. A normal straight guy wants to invest time with girls, or his only girl, and ignores gays.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Short answer ...No.
this. no reason to treat anyone any differently just because they are gay, or what ever else they are. people are still people where ever you go.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Offense? No way!

Unfortunately, there are many people who don't get to know a lot of gay guys, either because the opportunities don't present themselves, or they simply want to avoid gays to begin with.
No wonder gays are hard to get to know. They only make up as little as 2% of the population. And of that number, many don't wan't to come out as gay and lose a lot of friends and family members. It is not worth it, unless, perhaps, one has found a partner to be devoted to and marry.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most gay people don't announce to the world that they're gay, but when you work with people or socialize with almost anyone, it usually isn't more than a few minutes before someone mentions a boyfriend, a girlfriend, a husband, a wife, etc. That's the point at which a gay person has to decide: Do I tell them, or do I pretend that I'm asexual?

I hear ya, though, and I'm glad it's not an issue for you.
If you're hot looking and charming, they can't help but wonder about your love life. If you're homely, like me, they're not going to ask to share in your love life, because they assume you don't have one.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 PM

6,259 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Short answer ...No.
Same short answer. Worked with a gay guy in a city government. Very competent individual. Knew his stuff and was always very helpful and good natured. Just a good and decent guy to spend time with (both professionally and after hours).

When I first started adventure racing I raced as part of a three woman team. When I first met them, my two team-mates were both married and had small children. I had known them for three years when I spent a weekend in Nashville with them. It was a training weekend (actually a training all day, eating and drinking all evening weekend ) and they broke it to me that they were gay and now together as a romantic couple.

Holy Cow!! Talk about being caught off guard. I knew that neither of them had been particularly happy in their respective marriages, but that was a pretty common condition among many couples I knew at the time (unfortunately). Apparently one woman broke up with her husband. The second woman invited the first woman into the marriage bed to try and spice up her ailing marriage. It turned out that the two women had a better time than the husband did, and the rest (as they say) is history.

They had been together for a couple of months when they finally told me, and when I asked them why it took so long they told me that they had been afraid of how I would react. I was surprised but I had known these two women for over three years at that point - we had been through a lot together out on race courses all over the SE and I liked them very much. I didn't care. As long as they were happy (and their kids were happy) it was all good.

The only time it felt weird was when we walked into a huge sex shop together one day after eating at a restaurant. I hadn't given the "sex part" a whole lot of thought, but as soon as I walked in I instantly realized that I was OK with them being together but I didn't want to know the details. I turned to look at them and said "I'll go this way - you go that way".

Love is hard to find nowadays and I am no-one to tell anyone who they can and can't love. I just want to be around caring, friendly, considerate, decent people who just quietly live their own lives and let me do the same in peace.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:52 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No wonder gays are hard to get to know. They only make up as little as 2% of the population. And of that number, many don't wan't to come out as gay and lose a lot of friends and family members. It is not worth it, unless, perhaps, one has found a partner to be devoted to and marry.
I think gay people are more than 2%. My guess is somewhere between 5 and 10% if you include bisexual people.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:42 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
No, not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I treat those who identify as gay the same as I would treat anyone else. I don't agree with the lifestyle but they still are human and deserves to be treated with dignity.
This.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:51 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Do you treat gay people differently?

If you sense somebody is gay. Do you do anything to them socially that might hurt them, discriminate against them, block them from interaction with others or from success at work, or create negativity around them?

Who else does this type of behavior and why is there hate? What is the purpose of discrimination or hurting people that are different mentally? Do you not see it as sociopathic or unethical or very wrong?

Women.

A woman's status is determined by the men she is too hot to ****.

Your friend is just playing a female game.

Try to not take it personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies