Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,129,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
a philosopher sometimes has answers and solutions. someone that just asks questions or answers everything with a question is someone attempting to sound philosophical. you could do it with everything, and it doesn't mean you have an open mind.

example:
"have you seen my cat?"
"have you seen your cat?"
"what do you mean?"
"has your cat seen you, and do you know what a cat is?"
"you are an idiot."
"are you laying your own idiocy on me?"

see, it sounds ridiculous.
Right, Socratic questioning. I find it unbearable in a study session if I need to understand a mathetical concept for a test, as it doesn't help me out too much, but in discussion on gender***** issues, I don't see why it's a bad thing. And I'm not trying to sound philosophical; I already know that I don't. The point isn't to show everyone how smart I think I am. That would be what college professors do daily (I'm half-joking, college professors on CD).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:28 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,823,277 times
I know what the q stands for now. I honestly just thought it didn't deserve its own letter in that acronym. I don't really care about educating myself on topics that have absolutely no interest, and I hardly call a hollywood rendition an educational experience. if there was something on discovery or something, I would watch that. I think that the majority of guys would would pass themselves off as masculine are the exact opposite. guys who brag about getting laid, and talk about nothing but the NFL are just boring. I love doing sissy stuff. I like to cook and sew. cooking is an art form to me, but if you tell a guy you enjoy cooking, they look at you funny. good thing for me that I am big and intimidating looking. I don't really run into anyone calling me a sissy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Apparently in some ways, I differ from the majority of humans. That doesn't mean I'm not included in the human race--I never said anything along those lines. Are you not an American also? Then aren't you part of a community?

You're joking, right? To get someone to post a word that the forum doesn't recognize? *****.

Okay, fine. No one's making you educate yourself or seek out different perspectives, I guess.

That is so puerile. The plot was hardly "dumb." I read the short story after seeing the movie and it's very well-written.

It's pretty subjective, but I brought it up because it seems like an insult that guys can hurl at each other if one of them isn't masculine enough to fit in with their group.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 AM

23,164 posts, read 26,118,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
It is news because whatever state this person lived in, Oregon, I think, allowed him to be *legally* considered a man while still able to reproduce.

That is why it is news.

The law allowed the claim to be made that this is a "man" having a baby, when it seems like most people would agree that this "man" is still a "woman"

The news is just taking the opportunity to sensationalize it further.
Ah yes, you have a point.
That is a disturbing and newsworthy facet of this

Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,823,277 times
everyone's a phd on CD. I don't think I am smart, but I think I have a pretty logical approach to things that many people lack. I always try to put logic before emotion. it works out well, and often times, I come off as a jerk. oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Right, Socratic questioning. I find it unbearable in a study session if I need to understand a mathetical concept for a test, as it doesn't help me out too much, but in discussion on gender***** issues, I don't see why it's a bad thing. And I'm not trying to sound philosophical; I already know that I don't. The point isn't to show everyone how smart I think I am. That would be what college professors do daily (I'm half-joking, college professors on CD).

Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,129,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
I know what the q stands for now. I honestly just thought it didn't deserve its own letter in that acronym.
That has been up for debate, but for some, it's the only letter in the acronym that applies to them.

Quote:
I don't really care about educating myself on topics that have absolutely no interest,
It helps if you're going to discuss them, especially if you're going to discuss them and present yourself as someone who knows more about them than others you're talking to.

Quote:
and I hardly call a hollywood rendition an educational experience. if there was something on discovery or something, I would watch that.
Well of course that should be more fact-based, but that doesn't mean you just immediately discount other media.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:49 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
That's what I am saying.

But I know how I feel about it.

If you can still have babies, you should still be considered a woman, you are not a man yet. That is why I said that, during the sex change process, maybe women should be required to have their tubes tied before they can legally be declared a "man" if they are not finished with all their operations but want to be a "man" already.
Exactly. The media is reporting a non-event. Woman have babies every day. Just because this woman dresses like a man and lives like a man doesn't make her special or newsworthy.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:06 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,864,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Exactly. The media is reporting a non-event. Woman have babies every day. Just because this woman dresses like a man and lives like a man doesn't make her special or newsworthy.
I think what made it newsworthy is that they are considered legally married in the state of Oregon, which does not recognize (yet, as far as I know) same sex marriage. The point is, by having a gender reassignment, they were able to buck the law. Thus my OP: if cost were not an issue, would someone do this to be able to be considered legally husband and wife, not party A, party B, etc. Did Oregon follow a precedence in this action? How are other transgendered individuals regarded in their own states?

To an earlier poster's response, she/he got pregnant through artificial insemination, and no, his wife Nancy did not get a gender reassignment (M to F). She's female, looks female, is the female in the relationship and has 2 grown daughters from a prior marriage. What is weird though (and maybe my eyes have tricked me!) is for sure she was the one who was breastfeeding the infant?! Now how did she ever have milk come to her?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I think what made it newsworthy is that they are considered legally married in the state of Oregon, which does not recognize (yet, as far as I know) same sex marriage. The point is, by having a gender reassignment, they were able to buck the law. Thus my OP: if cost were not an issue, would someone do this to be able to be considered legally husband and wife, not party A, party B, etc. Did Oregon follow a precedence in this action? How are other transgendered individuals regarded in their own states?

To an earlier poster's response, she/he got pregnant through artificial insemination, and no, his wife Nancy did not get a gender reassignment (M to F). She's female, looks female, is the female in the relationship and has 2 grown daughters from a prior marriage. What is weird though (and maybe my eyes have tricked me!) is for sure she was the one who was breastfeeding the infant?! Now how did she ever have milk come to her?
There are drugs you can take to stimulate milk production and aid in lactation

My point is, this woman IS still a woman because she still has her female reproductive organs. She can live as a man and "feel" like she's a man, but until she goes the step further to remove her female organs and implant the male organs she is just another woman having a baby.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:50 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,864,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There are drugs you can take to stimulate milk production and aid in lactation
Holy cannoli! What people would do to live a dream! (or what other people might say, to live a lie!)

Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,762,991 times
I'd rather they just adopt. There are plenty of kids in the world already that need loving homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies