Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 09:49 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Totally agree! Many in the pro-gay crowd equate dissent with "hatrid", "phobic" and "ignorance".
No I'd say most judge the content of the posts and message before labeling somebody a bigot or homophobic. Yes there are exceptions but usually it's not very hard to tell who is just discusssing their disapprovial and who is showing hatred or bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnAtheist View Post
msconnie hang in there, as for me I have been warned now by the gestapo tactics of city-data for my oposing views and not giving in to the left wing liberals! So much for freedom of speech I guess this is the beginning of our lose. The godless have already begun their take over even on these forums. we have no rights they wish to destry our rights and then our churchs and finally us!!!
Of course, you know that C-D is a private enterprise, and that there is no freedom of speech in private enterprises.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:13 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Does it occur to you that a lot of us dont like being around drunks, whores thieves and liars also.................................
nobody likes to be around drunks, whores, theives, liars, the old, sick, and dying...
but it's not about what they do, it's about who they are...they are human beings...they're mistakes, they own, not any of us...we fear them...b/c we know it might only take one tragic moment, to heave us into their despairing tide, just one second to slip up...and that's what life is, one moment...right after another, we know that, yet, we ignore it...to the best of our ability...because we fear loving...simply for who people are, and not for what they can give to us...allowance, my friend, and we we can allow...we can not only love better, but live life better.

Oh, and by the way Ann, I'm one of those so called Jesus Freaks, ultra conservative crowd....however, I'm not the kind of conservative you were refering to...and I don't believe in organized religion.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:20 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
I think the sudden crop of gay discussions is due to Prop 8. which banned gay marriage. The anti gay response seems to be, "don't flaunt that lifestyle in my face." I think the word "lifestyle" is code for having gay sex. Will someone who uses the word "lifestyle' please tell me if I'm using the word correctly? So gay people are having sex in your face? Is that all gay people do is have gay sex? Do you think gay people are one dimentional?

I'm straight I don't know anybody who would describe their lifestyle as being "straight."

Old 11-16-2008, 10:29 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I think the sudden crop of gay discussions is due to Prop 8. which banned gay marriage. The anti gay response seems to be, "don't flaunt that lifestyle in my face." I think the word "lifestyle" is code for having gay sex. Will someone who uses the word "lifestyle' please tell me if I'm using the word correctly? So gay people are having sex in your face? Is that all gay people do is have gay sex? Do you think gay people are one dimentional?

I'm straight I don't know anybody who would describe their lifestyle as being "straight."
and they shouldn't have to...they are not definded by that

Hugs
Creme

Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 AM

532 posts, read 908,698 times
I just find it appalling that so many people think it is their job to tell others how to live their lives. Who cares what gay people do? It doesn't affect you at all. I'm sure most gay people think straight sex is gross, but you don't see them going around saying people shouldn't be heterosexual.
I think it is mostly about some very misguided interpretations of the bible. WWJD? I thought Jesus was all about peace and loving your neighbor. If homosexuality is a "sin" isn't that for God to judge?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:38 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
What religion.............haven't been in a church in 30 years. Im agnostic.

I otherwise stand by my original statement. Not all of us like the gay lifestyle and what it implies..............Doesn't mean we cant like you the individual, Why is that hard to understand?
First of all, I am not gay I just feel they are a targeted group in our society and I do not understand the fascination with their lives...

Why judge someone on what kind of person they are instead of their sexual preferences?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Devious motives...do you care to elaborate?
Devious motives as in attempting to make a position look infallible or trying to make the other sides objections look unfounded by applying definitions in manners that fit their goal. Simply poor discussion approaches using fallacies.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:57 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Quote:
Of course, you know that C-D is a private enterprise, and that there is no freedom of speech in private enterprises.
And obviously you don't know that discussion on CD is considered public domain, thanks for being an un-Constitutional liberal.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:58 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Sorry, that is not a devious motive.
It isn't? So is lying in order to get your way a noble approach as well? You do realize that when someone applies those forms of tactics in discussion, they are essentially creating lies and deceit in order to make their own positions appear valid or strong?

edit:

Notice the definition of the words:

Quote:
devious
–adjective
1. departing from the most direct way; circuitous; indirect: a devious course.
2. without definite course; vagrant: a devious current.
3. departing from the proper or accepted way; roundabout: a devious procedure.
4. not straightforward; shifty or crooked: a devious scheme to acquire wealth.
Quote:
mo·tive
n.

1. An emotion, desire, physiological need, or similar impulse that acts as an incitement to action.
2. (mō'tĭv, mō-tēv') A motif in art, literature, or music.

adj.

1. Causing or able to cause motion: motive power.
2. Impelling to action: motive pleas.
3. Of or constituting an incitement to action.
Basically, when a person does as such, they use unaccepted ways and proceedures within their discussion to achieve a result that is driven by a desire for them to be correct and for the opponent to be wrong. That is, their discussion is not based on a logical procedure that builds an argument and tests the others validity. They use their desire to be right in a "devious" manner to achive their goals.

So when I said it is either by educational reasons (they don't know the meaning of the words they use or understand that of those who they speak with) or they are devious in their motives. That is what I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies