Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 03:47 AM

955 posts, read 2,160,824 times

Advertisements

With all of the concern about outsourcing all of those telephone related jobs (customer service, technical support, etc.), how about this technique. Next time you are connected with a barely intelligible person, ask them where they are located. I do. Most refuse to answer.

Then you tell them to conncect you with someone in the States or else you will take your business elsewhere and get the message to the company involved. Maybe a little grass roots aproach will start (I said start, this is not going to be easy) to get the attention of the companies doing this practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 03:50 AM
JGY

347 posts, read 420,310 times
good idea

Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 AM

112 posts, read 180,341 times
When I worked in a Comcast call center during a college semester we weren't allowed to give out our location regardless of the circumstances. We get a lot of death threats etc, you'd be surprised how many times we get threatened to be killed, blown up etc. People even threaten to commit suicide if we don't turn their stuff back on. So don't be surprised they won't tell you where they're located.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,044,386 times
Overseas call centres! They should give back the jobs they stole.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:34 AM

425 posts, read 1,094,709 times
Yes, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of why you called? I mean, if I call Citibank to say, report a missing payment or something, and I refuse to speak with the employee on the phone, then guess what - my payment still remains unreported.

It's not the call center jobs you should be indignant about anyway. It's the MANUFACTURING jobs. The irony of the auto industry bailout is that someday soon they'll be moving those jobs to China and India, and we'll be the ones who paid to keep the company afloat so they could do so.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:44 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,464,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
With all of the concern about outsourcing all of those telephone related jobs (customer service, technical support, etc.), how about this technique. Next time you are connected with a barely intelligible person, ask them where they are located. I do. Most refuse to answer.

Then you tell them to conncect you with someone in the States or else you will take your business elsewhere and get the message to the company involved. Maybe a little grass roots aproach will start (I said start, this is not going to be easy) to get the attention of the companies doing this practice.
I did this four years ago with Earthlink (hmm, I wonder if they are still even around?) I told them I only wanted to talk to someone in the US and to put me through to someone in the US and then after a few times (when they could not, of course, I just quit their service.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:50 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,245,776 times
To help you get started, ATT DSL First Tier support for residential was in, well several locations, primarily India and the Philippines. From there they run customers through typical connection failures and if not resolved tranfer them to Second Tier in Dallas, where they go over the same troubleshooting before going further into the problem.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:13 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,478,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Overseas call centres! They should give back the jobs they stole.
They didn't steal anything. This is how capitalism and free markets work. I plan on starting my own company and will be outsourcing some of the work.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:30 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,044,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
They didn't steal anything. This is how capitalism and free markets work. I plan on starting my own company and will be outsourcing some of the work.
Its cheap labour so companies can make more profit. In the UK where I live its in the top 10 of the most annoying things.

You should ask other Brits their views on this subject and they will tell you that British people should be working for British companies. Like the statistics show, in about 20 years Britain will have more ethnic groups then there are white people. Its time to reclaim our country and respect what we fought for. You Americans fought to keep capitalism and we fought to keep Britain British. Everyone you look now in the UK its Indian this and Indian that, even the bloody shops! Its a no wonder the BNP are gaining ground.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:02 PM

11,579 posts, read 13,976,739 times
Who the hell wants to work in a call center anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies