Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

The last thing that America needs is unregulated/substandard Mexican trucks and drivers on its highways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:59 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would hope he does but Obama only brought up NAFTA when talking to Detroit autoworkers but his people quickly informed Canada and Mexico that it was only campaign rhetoric, that NAFTA was entirely safe with an Obama presidency.
You have a point there. His NAFTA campaign rhetoric has been put on hold.

Bloomberg.com: Politics

Quote from the article (on the benefit of NAFTA):

Canadian Trade Minister Stockwell Day also voiced reluctance.

“We don’t want to be putting any kind of a drag on a relationship with Nafta that has led to significant prosperity and job creation for both parties,”

Prosperity and job creation for what countries? He couldn't have been talking about America because our good paying jobs have been disappearing and our working middle class have been driven to near extinction by global commerce. He had to have been talking about his own country and that illegal alien dumping country Mexico.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The last thing that America needs is unregulated/substandard Mexican trucks and drivers on its highways.
So you approve of the NAFTA superhighway, which will keep them off the highways that the rest of us use?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:18 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMexicanRepublican View Post
Based on your rhetoric, I am sure that you check the label of every product you buy to ensure that it was made in the USA and purchase it instead of the lower priced goods on the shelf. I am certain that you have never stepped into a Wal-Mart, Target, or Sears in the last ten years - full of Mexican, South American, and Canadian produced goods. You buy locally grown produce instead of the Mexican and South American produce. Your car was made in America by UAW-approved workers. You don't own a Ford truck mgf. in Mexico, a Ford van from Canada, a GM product assembled in Mexico or Canada either. In fact, you drive a Toyota made in America. Your jeans are not Levi's or Wranglers, as they are primarily made in Mexico - yours are tailored especially for you in the US. I am honored to know that a patriot such as you visits these forums.

PS, what country was your computer made in?

The economy is global. Those jobs are never coming back. Deal with it America.
Yes as a matter of fact I DO check where products are made that I purchase.Impossible to buy American made goods most of the time,but I do try my best to do it.Next question.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I'm against it because we do not need it. I visit the McAllen area often by way of Houston as my wife's family is from the McAllen area. Highways 281 and 77 are sufficient as they are never really all that crowded to begin with. The money would be spent better elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
we never practiced free trade. both nafta and china trade deal were both breached b4 the ink was dry. we are operating breached contracts. massive illegal immigration was not part of the deal with mexico. the feds already knows the states are not guna allow junk trucks to drive here. so its a state/fed issue. the feds keep ripping the states off. monster trade deficit was not part of the deal with china.
we are going under fast. the feds continue to disrespect the states and not fulfill their role as protector of the states.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:20 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm sure we'd all rather tighten screws for $78 an hour while we bring in millions of undocmented to do the hard work jobs for $20 an hour and no benefits, but we can't keep on with unlimited illegal immigration and Americans demanding other Americans bail them out so they can go on striking every chance they get and getting $78 an hour with ridiculous benefits.

If things get tough enough, at least some Americans would be willing to grab a rake and do some of the hard jobs that they expect illegals to do for them now.
Wow! Wondering where you get that # from because even air traffic controllers don't make $78/hr. I'm sure they'd love to ditch the stress and insane work hours to tighten screws 9-5. Union memberships are at historical lows, most of their ranks are service workers on the bottom of the pay scale. Benefits have dwindled to nothing while CEO salaries escalate out of control and y'all are still thinking the union workers are to blame? Every bad decision GM made in scrapping innovation that people wanted to buy, bad materials and bad design is the fault of the guy tightening screws?

I think that's the biggest problem going on in the country today. Everyone is screwed because you keep thinking the other guy on line is doing it to you. Wake up already! Geez!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:04 AM

382 posts, read 954,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I'm TOTALLY against it.It's the reason your kids will never get a decent paying job in manufacturing.It was a repub spawned mess to allow big biz to move to slave wage areas and then sell their crap to us for the same money thereby profiting even more while killing the American workers wages and working conditions.A person who is for NAFTA is one of three things...A profiteer whose biz has moved to Mexico,someone whose livelyhood is not based on manufacturing OR some minimum waged idiot who just doesn't know any better.
Thank you to our beloved exPresident Billy Clinton.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:08 AM

382 posts, read 954,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I hope you are right, but what Obama said prior to his run and what he said while campaigning are not the same. I would not be surprised if he pushed all things NAFTA. But as I said, I sincerely I hope I am wrong on this....
Clinton signed this into law, it was always a bad idea. There are going to be many flip flops from Obama on what he said campaigning and what he actually does.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:33 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
Thank you to our beloved exPresident Billy Clinton.
He did sign it into law,but it was Daddy Bush's plan...he got it started and written up....both parties are at fault, so you can lay of the right wing kool-aid.We're not going to drink it so you can have it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies