Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:37 PM

399 posts, read 554,244 times

Advertisements

We can go back and forth arguing about whether or not Gay people should have civil unions or not. If you tell people who are anti-marriage that they're WRONG, you are only making them more hostile. A person can go back and forth giving good points of view, but people are still going to stick to their beliefs. That is human nature, we throw ourselves into "self-defense" when our beliefs are threatened. What I'm trying to say is, don't try to pursuade "Anti-Gay Marriage folks" to listen to you. And Conservatives, don't try to tell liberals that gay marriage is wrong. Either side will stick to their beliefs.

So what is a "worthy/efficient" way that we could all work on this together, without the constant arguments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,137,912 times
If no one is going to change his/her mind, what's the point of debating it at all?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:49 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
If no one is going to change his/her mind, what's the point of debating it at all?
Yes that's pretty much the point..everyone has their opinion on this matter and it's obviously very personal for most...What's that saying, "The People have Voted"...

Old 11-16-2008, 11:15 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,267 times
Erm. Can't tell them they are wrong?

Then why bother talking about it?

We aren't deciding actual policy here.

It's just a message board, on the internet, nothing more.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette-dude View Post
Yes that's pretty much the point..everyone has their opinion on this matter and it's obviously very personal for most...What's that saying, "The People have Voted"...
And we're fighting back! It's going to the supreme court of CA and it's going to be struck down again. "The People's mistake"....

Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i didn't stick to my beliefs i have always been supportive of the gay community and supported gay marriage, until recently when there were open acts of violence against the church & its members. i regret many former and current san francisco residents have been alienated by these recent actions.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i didn't stick to my beliefs i have always been supportive of the gay community and supported gay marriage, until recently when there were open acts of violence against the church & its members. i regret many former and current san francisco residents have been alienated by these recent actions.
So, you are going to judge all gay people because of a few violent gay people. I do not condone the violence perpetrated by those individuals, but I do not like being classed with them. Just like straight people, gay people are all different from each other. My mom used to think that all African americans could not be trusted, that they were all the same. It took having to live in a predominantly black neighborhood for her to realize that she was stereotyping a whole group because of a few individuals that she had the chance to encounter. I know that all straight people do not hate me or want to deny me my rights because 98% of my friends and clients are straight. I have 4 lesbian friends and one of my garden clients is a gay man, other than them, the only gay male I know is my partner. I could just as well judge all mormons and christians alike for passing prop 8. But I know that that would be judging the book because of the cover.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,038,990 times
Lets end all this gayorama by declaring that I'm gay!

Old 11-17-2008, 12:58 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Lets end all this gayorama by declaring that I'm gay!
LOL! You are a crackup!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,119 times
I'm still wondering why anyone, gay or straight, would want to get married in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies