Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:32 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times

Advertisements

PS - For the first time I stuck my head, briefly, into that toxic cesspool otherwise known as the Immigration forum. If you think the attitudes displayed in there are going to bring Hispanics into the Republican Party, you are sadly mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,785,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It would be really, really, helpful if the Republican Party for once, just once, look within themselves for the source of the problem. The GOP has become the Dixiecratic Party (could be a nice name, you should consider it), racist, demagogic, and extremely xenophobic. There is simply no place for even conservative African Americans and outside of a tiny sliver of Cuban Americans. Look what you have done to the African American stars of the party, from J.C. Watts to Colin Powell. Frankly, there is nothing that the Republicans can do to attract more African Americans or Hispanics outside of having a heart and brain transplant.

You are what you have become. And, if Obama enjoys even limited success over the next 8 years, you will be in the ethnic wilderness for decades to come.
You haven't refuted my assertion, though. It comes back to the societal perception of 'who gets what'. The Republican party, by and large, believes in reduction in taxes. Democrats believe in raising them. To non-plus the belief that more money retained on earnings = personal liberty/responsibility, the Democrats have successfully co-opted the notion that 'tax cut' from a Republican is tantamount to racism, because such action results in less social programs. This is really all it comes down to. There is no sense in re-inventing the wheel.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:30 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:
PS - For the first time I stuck my head, briefly, into that toxic cesspool otherwise known as the Immigration forum. If you think the attitudes displayed in there are going to bring Hispanics into the Republican Party, you are sadly mistaken.
I think it is a sad display of both Republicans and Democrats. It is one thing to have an opinion on the subject and agree we need to fix it, it is entirely another thing for each post to be filled with hate. Every illegal alien isn't a monster. Some are truly trying to better the lives of their families and I respect them for it.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You haven't refuted my assertion,
When you end your post with end of story, I didn't see any need to refute a position that was so lacking in substance. So, I instead ventured what I consider to be a more central issue that prevents the Republican Party from recruiting African Americans and Hispanics.

[/quote]The Republican party, by and large, believes in reduction in taxes. Democrats believe in raising them.[/quote]

There seems to be some quaint perception on your part that the vast majority of African Americans and Hispanics wouldn't like a cut in their taxes, which if find strangely out of touch on a number of levels.

Quote:
the Democrats have successfully co-opted the notion that 'tax cut' from a Republican is tantamount to racism, because such action results in less social programs.
Like I said, the Republican Party is simply out of touch. Black folks and Hispanics damn sure wouldn't mind getting a tax cut, but when those tax cuts go to the richest Americans they aren't very impressed. Everyday, working African Americans, and Hispanics contrary to popular Republican opinion don't give a rats arse about social programs. What they care about are real jobs, quality education, and affordable health care.

What they don't care for are racist hicks who try to scapegoat them for the the countries ills. They don't care for candidates who dismiss them as being "real Americans." If you want to get blacks and hispanics in the Republican Party, provide a good economy that provides quality jobs, good education and affordable healthcare, get rid of the hicks and Palin's and you might begin to pull in some blacks and hispanics. But you better do it soon.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:54 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,354 times
I didnt think black people and hispanics even know what issues are. Dont they vote based on what the government will give them for free.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:01 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I didnt think black people and hispanics even know what issues are. Dont they vote based on what the government will give them for free.
Thats a bit over the top but a previous poster flagrantly disagrees that 95% of black people voting for Obama has anything to do with skin color.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Thats a bit over the top but a previous poster flagrantly disagrees that 95% of black people voting for Obama has anything to do with skin color.
88% voted for John Kerry. So I guess we can safely assume that 7% of all black people who voted voted for Obama because he was black, and 88% were just doing what they've been doing for decades.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,463,266 times
Quote:
What they don't care for are racist hicks who try to scapegoat them for the the countries ills. They don't care for candidates who dismiss them as being "real Americans." If you want to get blacks and hispanics in the Republican Party, provide a good economy that provides quality jobs, good education and affordable healthcare, get rid of the hicks and Palin's and you might begin to pull in some blacks and hispanics. But you better do it soon.
Great post! Sorry the rules won't let me rep it, but I'm sure many others will. Some people can't see the forest for the trees. Some of those folks aren't at all clear on what a tree looks like either...

Old 11-22-2008, 05:35 PM
JL

8,520 posts, read 14,527,526 times
Republicans will need to be more in touch with minorities if they ever want to get elected for President again. Times have changed. They also need someone young with new ideas to appeal to the younger voters also. If they're smart, they will consider Bobby Jindal, current Louisiana governor, for the 2012 campaign.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Turns out it's just like the old plan of how to attract whites. Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention suggests pandering to more conservative Hispanics and Blacks with more hyperventilation about same-sex marriage!

Great, this will really fix the problems. I can see the new GOP slogans already. No, I guess I really can't see them, or write them here anyway.

golfgod
Well, it's too late for the GOP to attack Hispanics, black Americans, Chinese Americans. white Americans, and the rest. The homosexual community has already done that after Proposition 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies