Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Well 9/11 happened after 8 years of clinton , it was planned under clinton, and well they entered under clinton. Our rep must have been a sign that said kick me under clinton. They certainly poked us in the eye enough times under Clinton.
Export jobs.
Hmmm NAFTA was a clinton deal. The company I work for started exporting computer support jobs overseas under Clinton.
Sorry GWB doesn't have the monopoly on these items.
RE: NAFTA & blame sharing
Phyllis Spivey -- Trade Agreements: Origins and Tactics
Quote:
The United States has signed numerous trade agreements since the early 1990's, but two of them deserve special scrutiny: the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), approved by Congress in 1993, and the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) Uruguay Round , approved by Congress in 1994. Although Bill Clinton was president, both agreements passed into law through the efforts and with the blessings of Republicans as well as Democrats.
Here's what I found weird, considering this article was written in 2005.
Quote:
The Council’s honorary chairman? David Rockefeller. Council board members included executives from Archer Daniels Midland, Bank of America, Bear Stearns & Company, Chevron Texaco, Citigroup, Mc Donald’s, Merk & Co., Pfizer, General Electric, General Motors, J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., Kissinger McLarty Associates, Time Warner, and other transnational corporations. Representatives of Boeing, Caterpillar and Procter & Gamble, also council members, served as co-chairmen of USTrade.
Cast of characters for the Donner party? Busted as fire sale aquisition or Bailed out profiting from corporate welfare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 09:42 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
I got my copy in the mail yesterday and I find it rather humorous that in the past four years, the most scathing criticism of the Bush administration that has been charged has consistently been from the American Conservative Magazine. BTW... this issue is AWESOME!

I am willing to bet that a very large portion of moderate and independent voters/posters would enjoy the wide variety of writers and opinions in this mag. I don't think many people realize its content, then again, I very much suspect that few have ever read it based on little more than the title.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
However you said he was a liberal democrat. I do not think you understand what liberal means. It is generally pro-environment, pro-choice, pro-secular, pro-union, pro-womens rights, pro-gay rights, pro-minority rights and anti war to boot. Tell me which of these issues does Bush embody?
Hmmm, lets see.

I don't know a conservative that is not pro-environment, pro-woman's rights, pro-minority rights and is not anti war. I know libs and conservatives that are pro-choice, pro-secular, pro-union.

You seem to think "liberals" corner the market to rights, environment and peace.

It's a shame that it's become so easy to label people with an R or D. It relieves us from the burden of learning about a person or idea. That politician can't be good, he's a D or that can't be a good idea, it was introduced by an R.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:41 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Hmmm, lets see.

I don't know a conservative that is not pro-environment, pro-woman's rights, pro-minority rights and is not anti war. I know libs and conservatives that are pro-choice, pro-secular, pro-union.

You seem to think "liberals" corner the market to rights, environment and peace.

It's a shame that it's become so easy to label people with an R or D. It relieves us from the burden of learning about a person or idea. That politician can't be good, he's a D or that can't be a good idea, it was introduced by an R.
I have to chuckle sometimes when folks realize that America's first environmentalist tree huggers were conservative types. Conservationist, conservative, I see a similar pattern here.

Of course there is some truth to the notion that many who consider or call themselves conservatives today are not actually very conservative at all. They might be Republicans, but they sure aren't conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies