Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2018, 08:21 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
What a load of utter BS.

First of all, I have a legitimate right, and often need to be in those places, and it isn't up to some punk on CD or some smoker-pig to determine if my right to be in any place I have a right to be in is important enought to meet their standards, and I will not flee from your airborne sewerage.

I've been in places that I had to be because If was working there, and some smoker-swine starts filling the air I am breathing in order to do the work I need to do with their filth.

The world is NOT an ashtray,, nor is it a septic tank for smoker-swine's airborne sewerage.

Keep your filth to your filthy self. The normal people have a right to breathe air free of your intensely, stupefyingly-malodorous, toxic, filth. It is NOT your air to spoil, to foil to crap in with your airborne feces.

What makes smoker-swine and their filth so precious the the vast majority have to suffer so they can use their drug anywhere and anyplace they so deem.

And NO, getting along means you engage in your offensive behaviour away from others. How would you like it if somebody played painfully loud noise next to your home and then when you objected, told YOU to leave? That is, in effect, what you are advocating.

Honestly, only a stupid moron would fail to see how wrong you and the others on your side of this issue are. It is so obvious. Your right to use your tobacco filth ends at the other persons nose, and lungs. Go crap somewhere else.

All right, so how many letters have you written to your "representatives" demanding that they outlaw tobacco? If you haven't done so, why the H E L L not? You obviously feel very strongly about it!
How about funding necessary programs on the backs of smokers? I bet you really like that, because YOU don't have to pay the taxes! How will you feel when there aren't enough smokers left to pay for the programs, and they come to you with their hat in their hand, saying something like "We have to put a 10% surcharge on your water/sewer bill to pay for what the smokers used to fund, now that there aren't enough of them to pay for it!" You know (or you should know) that taxes never go away, they just get transferred to something else. You WILL eventually have to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassetluv View Post
While people talking away on their phones in a public place can be annoying if you're close enough for it to be disruptive, I wouldn't compare this to sitting or standing next to a smoker.

I've never smoked. However, my dad did. My husband did. My best friend (who I spent all my spare time with growing up) did. Everyone at school did - sneaking cigarettes around every corner. When I was on a team at the bowling alley, people everywhere did. People in restaurants did. Smoking was everywhere, before it was banned in certain public places. And ironically, even though I never smoked a cigarette in my life, I wound up with oral/throat cancer. The doctor I saw suspected it was from exposure to second-hand smoke.

These days I'm extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke. Actually I've developed sensitivities to a few things over the years that never used to bother me, but cigarette smoke is by far the strongest aversion. If someone lights up and I wind up inhaling the smoke, I begin coughing violently and begin to feel nauseous. The problem that I run into now is that there are a LOT of smokers at the bus stop(s) in my area. When I am catching a bus to work in the morning, inevitably there's always 1, 2, or 3 - sometimes more - people who light up right at the bus shelter, despite a sign posted that clearly says 'No smoking within 9 metres (29 feet) of this stop'. And often there are one or more people standing at one end, and one at the other end, so I'm surrounded. At one particular shelter (the one I now use to go to work in the mornings) I asked twice if people would mind moving away from the stop as the smoke was making me sick. The first time I did this I was sneered at and ignored. The second time I asked, the woman - who was standing right at the bus shelter where the no smoking sign was posted - looked at me and said "I'm standing outside the shelter, MA'AM". Serious hostility there, even though she was the one breaking the law. So I usually am the one who is forced to stand 30 ft or more away from the stop, risking missing the bus (if you knew the transit system here, you'd know that many drivers will pull away from the stop seconds after pulling up to it, leaving people scrambling to catch it...and often they wind up having to take the next bus, almost half an hour's wait).

I have no qualms with people smoking in areas where it's allowed. I simply avoid those areas. But so often it is forced upon me in areas where it is banned, and more often than not if a smoker is asked to please step away from the area they get extremely angry (though there's been a couple of instances where the people were very understanding and moved further away, apologizing), I usually wind up forced to breathe in fumes from a product that makes me physically ill. So yeah, I can empathize with those who get upset over smoking. Mind you, I would never say "smoker-pigs keep their filthy stench to their filthy stinking selves" (that's incredibly caustic and full of rage, imo), but it is quite annoying at times when I'm forced to accomodate a smoker, esp. given my medical past.
Good post. Yes, some can be allergic to smoke or have asthma. (I cannot even be around smoke caused from a barbecue or begin wheezing). Some should understand that carcinogens can truly affect others. Besides that the cigarette smell alone is harsh and difficult to tolerate by many. I don't know why some are so insulted and defensive about how this can negatively affect others.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:31 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
All right, so how many letters have you written to your "representatives" demanding that they outlaw tobacco? If you haven't done so, why the H E L L not? You obviously feel very strongly about it!
How about funding necessary programs on the backs of smokers? I bet you really like that, because YOU don't have to pay the taxes! How will you feel when there aren't enough smokers left to pay for the programs, and they come to you with their hat in their hand, saying something like "We have to put a 10% surcharge on your water/sewer bill to pay for what the smokers used to fund, now that there aren't enough of them to pay for it!" You know (or you should know) that taxes never go away, they just get transferred to something else. You WILL eventually have to pay.
You obviously didn't read my posts. I have no desire to ban their pathetic drug-crutch. I only require they use in such a manner as to NOT inflict on non-smoker-pigs. Sorry to reveal you lack of reading comprehension skills.

The rest of your post is nought but pap.

Last edited by Open-D; 10-02-2018 at 10:10 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 09:32 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Good post. Yes, some can be allergic to smoke or have asthma. (I cannot even be around smoke caused from a barbecue or begin wheezing). Some should understand that carcinogens can truly affect others. Besides that the cigarette smell alone is harsh and difficult to tolerate by many. I don't know why some are so insulted and defensive about how this can negatively affect others.
Because they are pathetic, weak smoker-pigs who need their emotional crutch on a constant basis.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:34 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,253,078 times
Know what I hate?

Vapers exhaling clouds of steam into my face, like a frickin locomotive from a cowboy movie.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:41 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
I honestly didn't realize there were still places in America where you could smoke inside. Laws against smoking in restaurants, bars, pretty much all public places have been in place where I live for quite a while now. And honestly, as a smoker, I can say I never had a problem with the changes. I was never one to smoke in restaurants or other public venues even when I actually could have. One of things I always used to hate was sitting near a smoking section, and having a cloud of smoke hanging over me while I tried to eat my dinner. Heading outside for your smoke after dinner or whenever is just the decent thing to do, and it always has been. I can only imagine how horrible it must have been back in the day when people could smoke on airplanes or in other places where a lot of people are confined together. I'm sorry, but there's nothing worse than walking through a room and literally seeing a cloud of cigarette smoke just hanging in the air.

So honestly, as a smoker, I agree that non-smokers shouldn't have to smoke my cigarette just so I can light up at the dinner table when I'm dining out. Hell, I don't even do that at home.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Tobacco is always OFFENSIVE, always TOXIC. Fragrances, only rarely offend. Overwohelmingly, they are nice-smelling, by desigb, and never cause disease.

The fact that you tried to make such a vacuous comparison, nullifies you!!!]
Fragrances can be bothersome, but they are most times fleeting or smelled of faintly. I can count TWICE in my entire life where I was distressed by strong perfume - once when sitting next to a woman in a Theatre during a play, the other, by a new coworker sitting next to me. (I had asked her if she could refrain from wearing while at work, and of course, after the break and her having told others, was to endure snide remarks from a few the rest of the day. (Always the taking insult with and defensiveness). The idea that a fragrance would attach itself to and remain on a hard surface, being transferred to another or make another reek of, is unrealistic, unlike how smoke will be absorbed by clothing and hair.

(For me, my being allergic to some things, I found that flowers could affect me adversely, so as much I might like the look of, I don't have in my home).

Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I honestly didn't realize there were still places in America where you could smoke inside. Laws against smoking in restaurants, bars, pretty much all public places have been in place where I live for quite a while now. And honestly, as a smoker, I can say I never had a problem with the changes. I was never one to smoke in restaurants or other public venues even when I actually could have. One of things I always used to hate was sitting near a smoking section, and having a cloud of smoke hanging over me while I tried to eat my dinner. Heading outside for your smoke after dinner or whenever is just the decent thing to do, and it always has been. I can only imagine how horrible it must have been back in the day when people could smoke on airplanes or in other places where a lot of people are confined together. I'm sorry, but there's nothing worse than walking through a room and literally seeing a cloud of cigarette smoke just hanging in the air.

So honestly, as a smoker, I agree that non-smokers shouldn't have to smoke my cigarette just so I can light up at the dinner table when I'm dining out. Hell, I don't even do that at home.
THANK you!! That is a responsible person. And is much appreciated.

When I was a kid, my parents smoked.. and would do so in the car with the windows closed. I recall having relatives visit who also did so, our entire home being filled with SMOKE. My parents quit when I was still young and have always been grateful for, with them being glad it was over, too. (Later, with more exposure to, as mentioned in workplaces, public places, I ended up with Asthma).

Old 10-03-2018, 01:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
This is really what more people need to do, they need to send emails and letters to places that sell cigarettes, send emails and letters to politicians too, if enough people bug them, they will act.

I would start with the DEA and ATF, those agencies are the ones tasked with regulating dangerous drugs..if they are ignoring a deadly product, they can be held liable for that. Im really amazed the DEA was punished after that one smokers family won the huge lawsuit against big tobacco, the DEA is in place to restrict and regulate dangerous drugs, when they target other dangerous drugs heavily, but then shy away from restricting access to cigarettes, that implies they are getting paid to look the other way, I think this could be easily proven in court.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Tobacco is always OFFENSIVE, always TOXIC. Fragrances, only rarely offend. Overwohelmingly, they are nice-smelling, by desigb, and never cause disease.

The fact that you tried to make such a vacuous comparison, nullifies you!!!]
Actually, if one is being honest your ignorant bias, self absorption, false sense of self worth/importance along with dictatorial offensiveness has marginalized you, relegating all your posts to the virtual loony pile since the start of this thread.

Nothing more satisfying and funny than seeing a loon in a full blown temper tantrum!

Thank you for all your humorous antics as I love starting my day with a laugh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies