Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 11:56 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by triton1 View Post
Second hand smoke, the smoke that pours into the air from the burning tip of the cigarette, is no less of a hazard to your health than the smoke that is inhaled by the smoker. Many times, when I step into a room that smells like smoke, the only thing I think of is grabbing the biggest fan I can get my hands on, put it in the window, and turn it on full blast exhaust! In fact, on Thanksgiving day in 2001, my parents and I went to my aunt and uncle's house when they were still smoking; in fact, my uncle used to smoke CIGARS!!! (phew!!!) and their house stank so bad that I nearly passed out within just a few minutes. Immediately, I went into the stairwell, got a fan and put it in the window, and was eventually hollared at by my uncle for doing it.
I would much rather be around cigar smokers or pipe smokers than cig. smokers.
Its all in what you like to smell, or not. Anything can be too much also. I find some woman who passes by with an overload of cheap perfume MUCH worse than the smell of a GOOD cigar !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 01:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,959 times
Intolerant ninnies who seem to have nothing better to do with their lives than tell other people how to act ought to move to some other country. Perhaps, one ruled by the Taliban.

They'd fit right in.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
What I wouldn't have given to trade the middle aged Russian Ludmila who sat behind me on my last transatlantic flight with a chain smoker....the "lady" used the most vile smelling concoction to spray herself with (repeatedly) to the point where I started to dry heave. I could have sworn I saw a condensation cloud around her for the entire trip, like a ring of Saturn.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:33 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
Feed your kids at home....You're probably feeding them at Mc D's anyway....

Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post

I don't see the connection between smoking in public and a fat "kid" eating six twix.

The overeater is not hurting anyone but himself, but the smoker is hurting many because we have to breathe second-hand smoke and for those of us who are allergic to the smoke, we get to become all congested and wind up with a sore throat and coughing. Then what it's doing to our lungs is not so great either.

Someone eating twix doesn't affect me at all and I never heard that passing gas is going to ruin anyone's health. Yes, it's unpleasant but isn't going to damage anyone's health.

I see you love your dogs...but I don't like your dogs doing their business in my front yard....like someones did the other day.....I want a new law passed against dog walking......

Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
So, what was the definitive study that identified second hand smoke as a serious health hazard? I mean a health issue which is serious, not an inconvenience to the person breathing in second hand smoke.

I've read stuff from the Lung Ass'n, American Cancer Society and Heart Ass'n which state it is a health hazard, but what study determined this, not surmised it off of other folks statements?

I'm not a smoker and never have been one, but I haven't seen the proof that second hand smoke causes SERIOUS health problems. If it is out there, I would like to read the study itself.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
Totally agree with you!

Smoking is the single most filthy, disgusting and classless "by choice" habit! I'll be glad when possession of tobacco is a criminal violation. These people who do smoke in public are nuisances. My hair and clothes shouldn't have to smell like a dive-bar because someone lacks the willpower and intestinal fortitude to quit inhaling nicotine. Ever meet anyone who was forced to smoke and ultimately become "addicted"? Nope, me either.

I think the frozen tundra would be an ideal place to send all smokers until they quit. Then and only then can they rejoin society.

What about the drunk that spends the whole evening in a bar then goes out and kills your kids while driving...How many drinks did you have today ?

Old 06-06-2007, 02:18 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
People driving those gas-guzzling SUVs, operating refineries that belch out tons of smog, and other air polluters are disgusting, filthy habits that the public should not have to endure - I demand that they all stop immediately!

Sorry smokers - the second hand smoke BS is so PC right now - it's all smoke and mirrors (pun intended) to keep people from focusing on the true carcinogen factories.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,935,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
People driving those gas-guzzling SUVs, operating refineries that belch out tons of smog, and other air polluters are disgusting, filthy habits that the public should not have to endure - I demand that they all stop immediately!

Sorry smokers - the second hand smoke BS is so PC right now - it's all smoke and mirrors (pun intended) to keep people from focusing on the true carcinogen factories.
How right you are..............now lets see...........where is that duct tape and plastic we were supposed to have handy.The local power plant just got a waver for 5 more polluting years .......the feds felt sorry for them, cost too much to clean up they said......

Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,959 times
Second hand smoke...I can buy that as a health issue.

The smell that cigarette smoke leaves behind...that's esthetic.

They want to make esthetic issues a public policy thing,,,start with the furry armpitted deodorant free denizens of Berkeley, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies