Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
In other parts of Europe, Hedvig Charlotta Nordenflycht was writing in Sweden, and what is thought to be the first scientific society for women was founded in Middelburg, in the south of Holland in 1785.
What's that got to do with the status of women in Europe today? In 1785, the US was still largely "frontier". The consitution wasn't even adopted until 1787. The European men I have known have not been noticeably more liberal towards their partners. Some in fact, have been downright chauvinisitc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:39 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What's that got to do with the status of women in Europe today? In 1785, the US was still largely "frontier". The consitution wasn't even adopted until 1787. The European men I have known have not been noticeably more liberal towards their partners. Some in fact, have been downright chauvinisitc.
It would depend on the country and of course, the person, though actually I think America is more sexist partly because of the women. The foreign women I've known are so much nicer than most women here.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:53 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
better prevention is good. although our birth rate is very very low already.
what we should be more concerned about it AIDS.
I agree. I find the statistics on teens and STDs frightening . I think it's 1 in 4 African American girls has an STD.

As far as the birth rate being low...so what?
We can invite more immigrants in and such.
I wish more European countries would think like this instead of giving all these incentives for people to have more kids. Why not encourage adoption? There are plenty of kids in the world that need adopting.
The world is overpopulated enough as it is so flat population growth, maybe even negative population growth, would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
It's best if we improve access to contraceptives and the contraceptives themselves. While I do not like abortion, making it illegal is not the right step and won't solve much.

I think we should also value women more, America is still a sexist culture. Women in Europe aren't nearly as oppressed.
I agree. Birth control may be an option for someone but the cost is often a big prohibitive. I think governments with high teen pregnancy rates should invest more money in subsidizing the cost of birth control and helping more teen girls get access to it. Condoms should also be made available for free in school and kids should not have to ask to get them. They can be in a free dispenser in the bathroom or something.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:52 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Actually its one in four American girls has or has had an STD. One in two African American girls has or has had an STD. As mentioned, there are subsidized birth control programs in the U.S. but they hamstring themselves by requiring parental involvement. Given what we've read here how likely is that? Most adults want their children to experience exactly the same deprivation, anxiety and guilt over sex that they did. And condoms are available and they are mostly free. Still, I invite any woman to unroll a condom and put it over their finger and then see what degree of sensation is lost. Now try and use some imagination and empathy, I know women are good at using their imagination, the empathy part might need some smplification. The success of condoms as they exist at present depends on a caring and creative sexual environment and it also requires aesthetic enhancements to the proceedings. These things are likely to be lacking in a majority of relationships. Regardless of age level. Americans probably have the lowest sexual satisfaction of developed countries and they have the most strife between the sexes. The fact that this hardly affects the birth rate is telling.

H

Old 11-23-2008, 02:28 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Actually its one in four American girls has or has had an STD. One in two African American girls has or has had an STD. As mentioned, there are subsidized birth control programs in the U.S. but they hamstring themselves by requiring parental involvement. Given what we've read here how likely is that? Most adults want their children to experience exactly the same deprivation, anxiety and guilt over sex that they did. And condoms are available and they are mostly free. Still, I invite any woman to unroll a condom and put it over their finger and then see what degree of sensation is lost. Now try and use some imagination and empathy, I know women are good at using their imagination, the empathy part might need some smplification. The success of condoms as they exist at present depends on a caring and creative sexual environment and it also requires aesthetic enhancements to the proceedings. These things are likely to be lacking in a majority of relationships. Regardless of age level. Americans probably have the lowest sexual satisfaction of developed countries and they have the most strife between the sexes. The fact that this hardly affects the birth rate is telling.

H

What would you suggest then?
So, in the beginning of your post you talk about the high amount of STDs that are out there. The reality is we must work with what we have. The best way to protect against STDs would be condoms. In all their unpleasantness. Perhaps some condom company is working on making the thinnest condom imaginable. Until that day comes, I'm afraid condoms are the best of the contraception options. As you said, they are cheap (if not free) plentiful and cause no long term harm to the males that use them. Plus, they protect against disease -- something none of the female based contraceptions can do. To ***** about how hard it is to use one, well .... I guess abstinence would be your best bet. I certainly have empathy that bare is best, but I also have empathy for girls getting guilted into going without protection because their guy doesn't 'like' the feel of it. Your own statistics prove that one out....

Old 11-23-2008, 02:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I agree. I find the statistics on teens and STDs frightening . I think it's 1 in 4 African American girls has an STD.

As far as the birth rate being low...so what?
We can invite more immigrants in and such.
I wish more European countries would think like this instead of giving all these incentives for people to have more kids. Why not encourage adoption? There are plenty of kids in the world that need adopting.
The world is overpopulated enough as it is so flat population growth, maybe even negative population growth, would be great.

I agree. Birth control may be an option for someone but the cost is often a big prohibitive. I think governments with high teen pregnancy rates should invest more money in subsidizing the cost of birth control and helping more teen girls get access to it. Condoms should also be made available for free in school and kids should not have to ask to get them. They can be in a free dispenser in the bathroom or something.
I am not sure what you mean about European countries giving incentives for childrearing, but most countries in Europe have birthrates well below replacement rates.

RE: birth control for teen girls who don't want to involve their parents, I believe Planned Parenthood can be of assistance, especially for older teens (say, 16+).

Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am not sure what you mean about European countries giving incentives for childrearing, but most countries in Europe have birthrates well below replacement rates.

RE: birth control for teen girls who don't want to involve their parents, I believe Planned Parenthood can be of assistance, especially for older teens (say, 16+).
This is what I meant when I said some European countries give incentives for people to have kids:

EU Hopes Benefits Boost Birth Rates, European Countries Offer Couples New Incentives To Have More Children - CBS News

European nations offer incentives to have kids

Financial Incentives Cause Slight Birth Rate Increase In Germany | AHN | November 23, 2008 (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7012019388 - broken link)

International News | France's High Birth Rate Partly Due to Government Incentives - Kaisernetwork.org

The Duggars would have it made there.

This story disgusts me: Hull family on £32k benefits want more

Old 11-23-2008, 04:29 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
ROFL livetoday-- but this doesn't happen when singles waiting to have children when they can afford them get punished with taxes to subsidize american families who didn't? More contradictions!! ZOIKS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies