Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,458,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Just wondering if you are waiting for a ten percent cut in every single person who works for the company or just union members? Seems no one else is being asked? Are you also expecting the folks who bargained in good faith for a package that included healthcare and retirement to just say "sure we really did not count on that for our retirement." Not paying current workers a higher salary is a matter of choice on both sides, but not meeting the obligations to those who already worked the hours and provided the services to the companies, that is theft.
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and after reading this interesting thread I would like to make 2 comments:
1) The US auto industry has more implications then seen at first. The industry affects the US economy as a whole. "We would have bailed them out if they acted nice" is not the answer to this complicated issue.
2) janeannwho - I don't think the workers have much leeway. If the companies go bankrupt, they will lose everything anyway. Every way you look at this - they lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,324,270 times
Default Republican Party = Union Busting

Big 3 auto bailout--PLEASE WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES. NO!
This is exactly what is going to happen, if the big 3 do not receive financial help.
I'm all for giving the big 3 financial help, but with strings attached, and I do not mean the GOP's idea of a car czar either.
It's not a bailout, it is a loan, financial help.
History will repeat itself, as it did when reagan fired all of the air traffic controllers. he busted the union, and, this is what the republican party is about, union busting. they are not pro-labor as the democratic party is.
toyota autoworker $40.00 per hour, american (big3) autoworker, $50.00 per hour.
BTW, at least 50% of the parts used to manufacture an american made auto/truck is not made in america or are foreign owned. if you want to write or call your representative, ask him or her to bring JOBS back to america.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:48 PM
JGY

347 posts, read 419,617 times
I hope they can bail out the big 3, but with the stipulation they have to bring jobs back to the USA. If the Big 3 are still insistent on shipping more jobs overseas, then congress should shore up the retirees pensions and healthcare with baillout money, and then tell the Big 3 to take a hike.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Just wondering if you are waiting for a ten percent cut in every single person who works for the company or just union members? Seems no one else is being asked? Are you also expecting the folks who bargained in good faith for a package that included healthcare and retirement to just say "sure we really did not count on that for our retirement." Not paying current workers a higher salary is a matter of choice on both sides, but not meeting the obligations to those who already worked the hours and provided the services to the companies, that is theft.
If a company is that close to bankrupcy shouldn't the workers who may lose their jobs be willing to work with the company to help in any way they can? I'm not saying a pay cut is the answer, but they should be willing to work together IMO since it benefits them all. It doesn't make much sense to do nothing, and lose everything if the company does go bankrupt, and they are all laid off. Then they have nothing. And yes, the 10% was everyone. Not saying that's the answer, but it worked in the company I was in. And when the economy recovered not only did we get it back, but they gave us a raise for being willing to work with them, and help the company.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:49 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,121 times
Hilarious! check this out:
http://www.boingboing.net/images/x_2...ldntbuyour.jpg

Old 12-14-2008, 12:50 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
Please everyone, write your Congressmen, Senators, etc., and urge them NOT to bail out the big 3 automakers. These companies operate under tremendous waste and greed. Overhead is inflated by union demands, outrageous pensions. They have no incentive to make and market a product that the public wants and now they are crying the economy is hurting, so they are hurting and so many people will be laid off.

I can sympathize with some of that reasoning. But all sympathy flies out the window (pun intended) when I hear that the heads of all 3 companies flew down to Washington on their corporate jets, to the tune of a cost of about $20,000 EACH. They could have flow first class commercial for $1500 each. And the head of Ford last year, took over a sinking company and earned himself a $28million bonus.

It's corporate welfare and the sense of 'entitlement' they have is not that much different than what plagues other segments of our society asking for public handouts.

NO BAILOUT!

I don't know whether you're willfully ignorant or blatantly biased on the subject. Is it a combination of the two? Who knows.....

Old 12-14-2008, 12:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
im on it
dinosaurs should die a nature death.
so should those that absolutely refuse to change.
great big fat americans driving big fat cars.

Old 12-14-2008, 01:13 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,121 times
Great article on Gm, detailing the dangers of central planning.
Bloomberg.com: Special Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies