Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:46 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Gays and lesbians are sick and tired of being discriminated, being told their lifestyle is wrong, despite support from various psychological and scientific institutions that homosexuality is not, and is ok, and is natural. When are the social conservatives of the nation going to catch up to this knowledge?
I could also ask when the leftist liberals are going to stop trying to force their opinions on everybody else?

You should never make the mistake of assuming that social conservatives need to "catch up", as if they're somehow unenlightened, or uneducated, or behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
2Adam 29 said:
". . .I can't imagine a natural impulse like sexual preferance would be sinful for one group of people, and fine for another group based on one or two lines in the bible, all of which are up to interpretation.

just my two cents on the subject."

That is a valid point Adam. Heterosexual sex outside of marriage is considered a sin also according to my Bible. However sex between a Man and a Woman who are married is sanctified by God. There is no example anywhere in the Bible that I know of where a homosexual relationship is sanctified.

Many of you don't believe in God or his Son. God gave us "free will". We can believe in him and follow his teachings or we can ignore them. I choose to try to live the way his book suggests. Am I always successful in doing that? No. However forgiveness is a part of his message also. But I guess anyone that doesn't believe in his existence could not and would not ask for it. However to those that choose to live their life in the belief that GOD DOES NOT EXIST I doubt that that excuse will be accepted on Judgment Day.

Just My Opinion,
GL2
alright... continuing on that line of thought, what are your opinions in say...
what if it was heterosexuality that was spoken ill of in the bible? would you avoid all relationships with women in order to appease the bible? And do you see how that can make someone fall away from the teachings of God? I think gay people could be great christians in every other respect, but this one or two lines in the bible are alienating a whole segment of the population.

not to give the impression that I know too much of what I'm talking about, but I looked in my bible about this subject a little while ago and one of the lines speaking against homosexual sex occurs in a story in which men gather outside a house seeking a man inside they wish to get revenge on by having relations with him. In response to this, the owner of the house in order to protect the other man sends his young daughters out to the mob. His daughters are killed in the process.

if we are to take this passage at face value it looks to say, don't have gay sex, and if there is a mob at your door, let them kill your children.
I don't think that's actually what it means, but it does show a certain disconnect if you see where I'm coming from...

Old 11-20-2008, 07:52 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
I could also ask when the leftist liberals are going to stop trying to force their opinions on everybody else?

You should never make the mistake of assuming that social conservatives need to "catch up", as if they're somehow unenlightened, or uneducated, or behind.
Well, how does gay marriage affect you? Gays and lesbians are being told they can't get married to each other by a group of people who aren't affected by gay marriage either way. Don't tell me gay marriage affectes you when it doesn't. Don't marry someone of the same sex if your not into gay marriage. its that simple.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Well, how does gay marriage you? Gays and lesbians are being told they can't get married to each other by a group of people who aren't affected by gay marriage either way. Don't tell me gay marriage affectes you when it doesn't. Don't marry someone of the same sex if your not into gay marriage. its that simple.

How does gay marriage me?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM

605 posts, read 1,198,775 times
Quote:

How does gay marriage me?
Well how does gay marriage affect you? I say it doesn't.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:57 AM

240 posts, read 504,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Is truth relative, Todd?

Wouldn't it make me somewhat of a hypocrite if I went to church on Sunday morning, read the Bible.....and then lived as if it was just some nice story, not actually letting it affect my life?

You are my equal, Todd. You seem like a nice guy. I don't hate you, and I don't hate anyone else on this board. But I can't, in good conscience, endorse that which I know to be immoral.
You and JeffSH are both right.

I apologize. No one can change what you believe except for you.

Sometimes I look at what is said and done in defense of the bible, and it upsets me because I believe people interpret what they want to satisfy their own viewpoint.

And I really can't see how people who are christians can judge whether someone else's life style is moral or should be legal or not....

isn't that, if your a christian, up to a higher power ?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
You and JeffSH are both right.

I apologize. No one can change what you believe except for you.

Sometimes I look at what is said and done in defense of the bible, and it upsets me because I believe people interpret what they want to satisfy their own viewpoint.

And I really can't see how people who are christians can judge whether someone else's life style is moral or should be legal or not....

isn't that, if your a christian, up to a higher power ?
The Bible does say that homosexuality is a sin. That's the long and short of it. And there's really no arguing whether or not it is clearly stated. The argument is whether or not it still applies today. Most Christians will say "yes" and most non-Christians will say "no".

Now... does that give Christians any reason to be hateful toward homosexuals? I don't think so. In fact, I find the behavior of Fred Phelps, and his ilk, to be flat-out reprehensible.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Well how does gay marriage affect you? I say it doesn't.
On a pragmatic, day-to-day level, I don't believe it does affect me one way or another.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM

240 posts, read 504,598 times
Quote:
The Bible does say that homosexuality is a sin. That's the long and short of it. And there's really no arguing whether or not it is clearly stated. The argument is whether or not it still applies today. Most Christians will say "yes" and most non-Christians will say "no".

Now... does that give Christians any reason to be hateful toward homosexuals? I don't think so. In fact, I find the behavior of Fred Phelps, and his ilk, to be flat-out reprehensible.
I asked before, but no one could post what and where it is stated. I don't doubt you, I would just like to see that.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd4 View Post
I asked before, but no one could post what and where it is stated. I don't doubt you, I would just like to see that.
Leviticus, chapters 18 & 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies