Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:13 PM

594 posts, read 1,046,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
This is just opening a door..whats next after gay marriage is approved? Adults marrying children? People marrying farm animals? Why not? after all...people will say that since gays can marry...why not some 40 year old man marrying a 12 year old girl?
As a conservative, I have to say "you're a whack job." Seriously. Disagree with gay marriage if you want, but don't make dumbass comparisons in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 06:15 PM

387 posts, read 679,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The short answer is that we have been waiting TOO LONG already. When you look at civil rights struggles, the changes took place historically through the courts or Executive Order of the legislative branch. Have you ever heard of the general public voting in rights for an unpopular minority? Once gay civil marriage is allowed, the education will begin from actually looking at the marriages and noticing that hetro marriage is not "falling apart" and education in the various communities. We can't wait for the older generation to die off. we need the rights now before we ourselves die and never get to enjoy the rights enjoyed by every other american. i personally don't think that gay couples care what specific religions think of gay civil marriage nor being married within those churches, mostly concerned with having the rights - bottom line.
You make some good points. But remember when Proposition 8 was originally proposed and it was 15 points down? That's before the lies began, and if those lies were rebutted, Prop 8 would have been defeated. It can be overturned in 2010 without waiting for anyone to die off -- all it would take is an education campaign.

But hey, they might have a case. It certainly sounds like they do to me. If the California Supreme Court rules on the side of equality, I won't be complaining. I'm just worried that it might, in the long run, set back gay rights by causing a backlash through a perception of judicial authoritarianism.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:18 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,667,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatManDoo View Post
As a conservative, I have to say "you're a whack job." Seriously. Disagree with gay marriage if you want, but don't make dumbass comparisons in the process.

I can see you are too liberal to see the point i am making...dont bother trying to think..your incapable

Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,740,527 times
Quote:
I can see you are too liberal to see the point i am making...dont bother trying to think..your incapable
I think CatMan is quite capable - and intelligent.

It's alright to make intelligent arguments against same-sex marriage, but if you tried making your argument in front of a state or federal judge, you'd be laughed out of the courtroom.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:25 PM

5,402 posts, read 12,692,676 times
Quote:
you still aint s(l)aying much of anything

Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 PM

594 posts, read 1,046,629 times
Quote:
I see your point, I just think it's a stupid one.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM

32 posts, read 134,305 times
I profoundly resent the reference to "proposition H8". Just because someone disagrees with you politically does not mean they hate you.

The amount of anger and ugliness displayed in the past 2 weeks has been horrible. If you want to see hate - look in a mirror.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,156,166 times
Quote:
That's the lame response you come up with when you have no argument.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,865,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
it seems as though the court system of california is telling voters that their vote doesn't matter. what's the point in even going to polls if the will of millions of californians can be overturned by a few judges? I think its a shame that the amendment passed, but that's our fundamental right. I'm anxiously awaiting the outcome of this one.
One main purpose of the judiciary branch of our government is to ensure that laws are constitutional. The population can pass whatever they like, but if it's unconstitutional... it ain't gonna be enforced. This is one of the checks in our "checks and balances" system.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,051,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PasadenaGuy View Post
I profoundly resent the reference to "proposition H8". Just because someone disagrees with you politically does not mean they hate you.

The amount of anger and ugliness displayed in the past 2 weeks has been horrible. If you want to see hate - look in a mirror.
Disagreeing with somebody about what to wear to a party is a "political disagreement". Stealing your fellow citizens' rights is Hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies