Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,769,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Just wait until the make-up of the Supreme Court becomes conservative then you'd be crying for recall.
No, I wouldn't. I think the U.S. Supreme Court is pretty conservative as it is, and I've never even fantasized about a recall of a U.S. Supreme Court judge.

And a majority of the justices on the California Supreme Court were appointed by Republican governors. I don't hear any cries for recalls from liberals; it's conservatives who are threatening a recall if Prop 8 doesn't stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,650,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Why? How can a judge do his or her job properly if he's forced to make decisions partially based on the threat of a recall?

After the U.S. Supreme Court said that "colored children" must be allowed to attend the same schools as whites, should there have been a recall effort? A large percentage of the people at the time - maybe the majority - were against school integration.
It's another balance of power. In a true democracy the persuasion of the people has to be expressed. Most issues do not go this far but the court has to struggle with doing what is right & face the consequences. That's how we grow as a society.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,096,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
It's another balance of power. In a true democracy the persuasion of the people has to be expressed. Most issues do not go this far but the court has to struggle with doing what is right & face the consequences. That's how we grow as a society.
Thank you.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 PM

754 posts, read 1,453,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, I wouldn't. I think the U.S. Supreme Court is pretty conservative as it is, and I've never even fantasized about a recall of a U.S. Supreme Court judge.

And a majority of the justices on the California Supreme Court were appointed by Republican governors. I don't hear any cries for recalls from liberals; it's conservatives who are threatening a recall if Prop 8 doesn't stand.
That's just another irony about all of this, people don't realize that the CA Supreme Court is majority Republican. So if Prop 8 is overturned, it would be thanks to some Republican judges. It just goes to show, that a broad spectrum of people are each side of this. Religion makes for strange bedfellows.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyinLa View Post
That's just another irony about all of this, people don't realize that the CA Supreme Court is majority Republican. So if Prop 8 is overturned, it would be thanks to some Republican judges. It just goes to show, that a broad spectrum of people are each side of this. Religion makes for strange bedfellows.
There are liberal republicans (RINOs) and conservative democrats.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,618,201 times
I just have one question...how did these religious right-wing nuttos even bring so much power in the first place?

Old 11-19-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I just have one question...how did these religious right-wing nuttos even bring so much power in the first place?
Not everyone who voted for Prop 8 is a religious person. I know a few supporters who do not subscribe to any religion.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,618,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Not everyone who voted for Prop 8 is a religious person. I know a few supporters who do not subscribe to any religion.
I wasn't just talking about that....but please, enlighten me. How DO they?

Old 11-19-2008, 10:01 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,650,306 times
Quote:
Again, the court must decide if the action of the electrode is constitutional. The court has over-ruled other propositions & will do so once again. They weigh the individual right versus popular consensus. This will be a very interesting display of democracy in action.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Because they recognize that homosexuality goes against nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies