Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Loving v. Virginia: Your opinion?
Support: The court was correct to legalize interracial marriage 66 82.50%
Oppose: The court should not have overridden the will of the people 14 17.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,426,909 times

Advertisements

Support: The court was correct to legalize interracial marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
Loving v. Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Loving v. Virginia, the Supreme Court overruled the clear will of the majority -- it legalized interracial marriage.

Given the current debate over whether the courts should decide the issue of same-sex marriage, I'm curious on what people think of Loving v. Virginia. Was the court overstepping its authority in overriding the overwhelming will of the people of Virginia?

Do interracial couples violate the meaning of marriage? No.

It was a a social issue where social opinion on them being allowed was overturned. It was a civil rights issue, plain and simple. There is nothing that can be legally objected to in terms of their relationship being deemed as marriage as it met every qualification of such.

Apples to Oranges.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:12 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,888 times
Wouldn't opposing Loving vs. Virginia mean you would have wanted the court to uphold the will of the people? I'm sure Virginians wouldn't have voted to support interracial marriages back then, which is why civil rights issues should never be put up to popular vote.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:15 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,269 times
I am so glad that Loving V. Virginia will never be over turned.

You should be able to marry who you want.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:36 PM

387 posts, read 677,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Do interracial couples violate the meaning of marriage? No.

It was a a social issue where social opinion on them being allowed was overturned. It was a civil rights issue, plain and simple. There is nothing that can be legally objected to in terms of their relationship being deemed as marriage as it met every qualification of such.

Apples to Oranges.
Actually, yes, they did violate the meaning of the word marriage at the time. Just as people who married for love violated the meaning of the word when marriage was a social contract concerning household economics.

Only apples and oranges for someone who hates gays.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:56 PM

41 posts, read 101,498 times
It should have stayed, the OP put it the right way, the will of the people should stay, not be forced upon them because liberals wanted it so.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:58 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightWhiteMale View Post
It should have stayed, the OP put it the right way, the will of the people should stay, not be forced upon them because liberals wanted it so.
Actually, no. Republicans and Christians force more on to anyone than I have ever known.

This war in Iraq is being forced on me BY...Christians saying "GODS PLAN! GOD PLAN!" Oh boo hoo!!

Old 11-24-2008, 08:31 PM

lol....I am all against the war as well. But in a true country the way this country was intended to be run this argument would have never even occured, even lincoln wanted to return the blacks to africa. But either way i say the ban should have stayed. The courts have no right in deciding whats best for us.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightWhiteMale View Post
The courts have no right in deciding whats best for us.
Yes, but then does the majority have a right to decide what's best for the minority? And if so, how far do you go with it?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 AM

Yes, in a situation like this they do. Back then i am assume it was the 50's 95% of people both black and white were against mixing, people always say it was us whites that held blacks down when in fact my grandparents knew blacks who wanted to stay seperate as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies