Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is NOT about the restaurant, but about the equal opportunity to buy a meal at a fair price, knowing you may have to drive 50 miles to a town big enough to support a restaurant.

Live in podunk, with the understanding the nearest major hospital/trauma center is 50+ miles away, but also with the ability to BUY THE COVERAGE so you can actually be treated and not be turned away for the lack of insurance when you travel there.
Understood. That's why I'm helping her, having been employed by two insurance companies, and a third one now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Why is health care so expensive?
Could it be the massive amounts of bogus lawsuits?
Malpractice insurance for an average doctor is higher than most average people earn in a year.
Hospitals have to carry insurance also not cheap. I wonder why?
Why is our auto insurance so high? Yes those ambulance chasing lawyers.
What used to be settled privately by honest folks is now a hefty legal matter. Ever wonder why the yellow pages has more ads for lawyers than doctors? Surely it can't be that we need more lawyers than doctors. But americans have the entitlment mentality. If I sue I can get rich.
Now with Universal healthcare we all get to enjoy paying higher rates and the same guys will get even more of our cash. I wonder what kinds of kickbacks our elected reps will enjoy?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 PM

512 posts, read 712,582 times
TristansMommy, I totally understand. It is ridiculous to spend so much on health care. You would almost spend less in the long run with no insurance at all. Then they try to ********* out of every claim. These companies don't care about people or health. They care about the bottom line, and if they charge you more and then don't pay up, that is a profit for them. That is all they see.

Part of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is being in good health. The government is supposed to protect these fundamental freedoms, so they need to find a way to ensure health care for every American. They have lots of good models to build from just look at.... Oh almost every other industrialized country.

Not only would people actually be able to get the care they need, professionals in the medical business would be held to higher standards, since there is basically no oversight other than a board of physicians investigating other physicians. A lot of mistakes by physicians are never even reported due to fear of litigation.

We spend more every year on health care than any other country, and have some of the worst outcomes. Our health care system is broken.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 PM

512 posts, read 712,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Why is health care so expensive?
Could it be the massive amounts of bogus lawsuits?
Malpractice insurance for an average doctor is higher than most average people earn in a year.
Hospitals have to carry insurance also not cheap. I wonder why?
Why is our auto insurance so high? Yes those ambulance chasing lawyers.
What used to be settled privately by honest folks is now a hefty legal matter. Ever wonder why the yellow pages has more ads for lawyers than doctors? Surely it can't be that we need more lawyers than doctors. But americans have the entitlment mentality. If I sue I can get rich.
Now with Universal healthcare we all get to enjoy paying higher rates and the same guys will get even more of our cash. I wonder what kinds of kickbacks our elected reps will enjoy?
If you actually did the research you would find that people in countries that have universal health care actually pay less than the average american does, yet the care they receive has better outcomes. And did you ever think that there are doctors who deserve to be sued? Especially with the atrocities being committed by OBGYNs on a daily basis. You should do some reading, I can provide you with some names of books if you like.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:08 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
TristansMommy, I totally understand. It is ridiculous to spend so much on health care. You would almost spend less in the long run with no insurance at all. Then they try to ********* out of every claim. These companies don't care about people or health. They care about the bottom line, and if they charge you more and then don't pay up, that is a profit for them. That is all they see.

Part of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is being in good health. The government is supposed to protect these fundamental freedoms, so they need to find a way to ensure health care for every American. They have lots of good models to build from just look at.... Oh almost every other industrialized country.

Not only would people actually be able to get the care they need, professionals in the medical business would be held to higher standards, since there is basically no oversight other than a board of physicians investigating other physicians. A lot of mistakes by physicians are never even reported due to fear of litigation.

We spend more every year on health care than any other country, and have some of the worst outcomes. Our health care system is broken.
I really don't know where to begin so I'll just pick one. Where did you find that we have a right to healthcare?

Old 11-22-2008, 04:04 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
"We didn't for my husband, but the urge wasn't that bad for him being that he never visits a Dr"

"For me, to pay 1200 dollars a month or more for insurance is ridiculous, unless I have a chronic disease that requires a lot of care. If I am healthy (knock on wood), that money is better spent in a savings account of sorts."

Two statements that help explain part of the problems with the industry.

As it is, insurance premiums are based on the spread of risks from a pool of
particpants.....those that don't use it any one year,helping to pay for those that do.
When the young and/or healthy refuse to join in and spread the risk, those that are in must pay more.

The other disastrous thing that happens is that young healthy uninsured person loses the bet that they won't need it, get presented with a $70,000 bill from. perhaps, a car accident, and end up screaming that the government should blah blah blah.
If you wait,Synopsis, until you have a chronic condition, you'll be here yelling that you can't get or afford coverage.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:21 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Tristansmommy
You gambled on the house you lost.
You gambled canceling your old policy before being covered under a new one.
You're gambling right now by having your husband and child uninsured for a length of time.
At least you will have all the money you intended to put into repairs on somebody elses house .....another gamble you were willing to take.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:26 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
I really don't know where to begin so I'll just pick one. Where did you find that we have a right to healthcare?
How can you have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness if you can't get medical care? Maybe liberty, but life and happiness are severely dampened when you are sick and can't get the help you need.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
How can you have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness if you can't get medical care? Maybe liberty, but life and happiness are severely dampened when you are sick and can't get the help you need.
So out of that you get that healthcare is a right given to us by the U.S. Constitution?

I can't be happy without a house, new car and lots of ice cream, I suppose mamma gubmint should confiscate my neighbors property to make me happy.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:03 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
As for those illegal immigrants..LOL. .. Most make so little money and are here illegally and so can't obtain private insurance. Instead they get public insurance .. by going to the ER and getting treated for free Even if they COULD get insurance, most likely they couldn't afford it!
Oh those illegal immigrants.

Those 12 million or so quoted in the 45 million without insurance.

Why should the American taxpayers - those here lawfully - be responsible for those in this country illegally?

How about giving us all one, just one - LOGICAL reason TM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies