Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:54 PM

196 posts, read 444,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Wall Street has not reached this low a level since 1997.
Thanks to the current administration. I knew it was going to happen, that's why I put my vote elsewhere in 2000 and 2004.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 07:55 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can only blame Bush for 8 years, not 10 years, not 12 years.

Don't forget too that Bush had a democrat Congress and democrat Senate that tried to block him certainly prevented him from whatever "mischief" he could do, but Obama has absolutely no excuses, he's got a Congress and Senate that will certainly support him 100%.

But -- if you plan on blaming Bush still 8 or 10 months into the Obama presidency, then don't forget WHO gets the blame for 9-11.
Shows how little you really know. Blame for 911?
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post6248065

Reagan, Bush SR for creating the problem in the FIRST PLACE, REPUB CONGRESS who laughed at Clinton when he said Osama was a problem, and BUSH W for ignoring Clintons warnings of Osama and BUSH AGAIN when he was warned about the actual attack possibility and ignored the intel.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Trying to tie the decline of the stock market to Obama's election is one of the silliest arguments being put forth. The absolute silliest of course is that people are jittery about Obama's election. Who would all those people be, the 60 million majority that voted for him? Why does that come up as a non-starter?
Maybe the 50+ million that did not vote for him are the people who had money in the market and have pulled it now that the Messiah has been elected.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,278,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Maybe the 50+ million that did not vote for him are the people who had money in the market and have pulled it now that the Messiah has been elected.
Why do you think he's a "Messiah"? I've never heard a Democrat refer to him in this way. Nor have I heard a true conservative refer to him this way. Only the hateful neocons refer to Obama as a "Messiah." Whatsa' matter--still fuming from the reality of a black man in the White House? If so, get over it.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
http://chart.bigcharts.com/custom/cnnmoney2/interact-chart.img?ClientID=44711&symb=djia&sid=1000001643& pg=ch&time=all&freq=1dy&comp=%2C&maval=60&lf=1&typ e=2&mocktick=1&symbtype=0&country=US&rtsid=1000001 643&style=2108&size=2&rand=4283 (broken link)

Look at the curve where it should be more steady the two obvious bubbles are clearly present. Where we are now is about dead on with where (without the bubbles) we would have ended up. This shows trickle down is a beast if we could figure out how to correctly tame it to where we don't end up with bubbles that have to pop (correct). Now our entire economy is built up and it's has to take a 50% correction before it will stabilize. Right now it looks like it took the correction and now we are hoping for stability.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:16 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
The large number of layoffs are an indicator of excess man power which IMO is in the millions. This will be a correction which slows down Mexican immigration a bit and very well could help grow the infrastructure of Mexico to be more stable and maybe even become a customer of ours instead of only the opposite.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Do you own any stocks right now that have not declined in value? If you sell your stocks now, and you lose money, then you don't have to pay taxes on it.

The markets took a dive before the election. If I recall correctly, McCain was slightly ahead in the polls before Bush and Paulson came out with the original 700 billion bailout for "financial markets".

I'd much rather pay taxes on a profit rather than make no profit at all.

Aren't these people ridiculous? Everyone is selling at a loss b/c of a capital gains tax?!?! Well maybe...there are alot of stupid people out there if this board is any indication of the general population.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:27 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Why do you think he's a "Messiah"? I've never heard a Democrat refer to him in this way. Nor have I heard a true conservative refer to him this way. Only the hateful neocons refer to Obama as a "Messiah." Whatsa' matter--still fuming from the reality of a black man in the White House? If so, get over it.
Some people will criticize anything associated with Democrats, just as others will criticize anything associated with Republicans. I find it best to ignore both of those groups. They have no solutions, only criticisms.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
Shows how little you really know. Blame for 911?
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post6248065

Reagan, Bush SR for creating the problem in the FIRST PLACE, REPUB CONGRESS who laughed at Clinton when he said Osama was a problem, and BUSH W for ignoring Clintons warnings of Osama and BUSH AGAIN when he was warned about the actual attack possibility and ignored the intel.
revisionist history

Old 11-20-2008, 09:14 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Its obvious you are upset your GIRL FROM ALASKA DID NOT WIN..
Again, I went back and read all of my posts here very carefully. I don't see where I said I ever supported McCain/Palin. Fact is, if you must know, I didn't vote for them either, but they aren't the issue anyway, and they certainly aren't affecting current market behavior.

Quote:
We all KNEW BEFORE THE ELECTIONS DEM OR REPUB --------------------THAT NO MATTER WHO WON------------------------
THIS MESS WASNT GOING TO START TO GET BETTER FOR A VERY LONG TIME. IT'S A GLOBAL ECONOMIC MELTDOWN--- A DEPRESSION. YOU CAN BLAME OBAMA IF YOU WANT, repeating it, does NOT make it true..
I'm not blaming anyone. I am merely observing that the market continues to decline in anticipation of the incoming administration's economic polices. The market is making the statement, not me.

Quote:
IT Happened on DADDY BUSH's WATCH, even the idiot declaring martial law unless we ok'd his bailout was a money grab. Bail-out didnt do any good. But he was going to SIGN that bail-out with his dicator powers if the house didnt. SO you know, look to your party. BUSH IS STILL PRESIDENT, WE ARE TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN DEBT TO CHINA FOR THE WAR. OUR JOBS HAVE BEEN SENT OVER-SEAS AND ACROSS THE BORDER. YET DADDY BUSH STILL WANTS COLUMBIA-TRADE AGREEMENT SIGNED, THAT WILL SEND MORE JOBS SOUTH. The REPUBS dont want the big 3 bailed-out, the want MORE jobs lost, the economy to suffer MORE so you have more to blame on Obama now. .
Bush is irrelevant. He lost, get over it. So what if he caused the crash. It could have been caused by little green men for all I care. The point is regarless of the cause, the market is telling us that Obama isn't the cure.

Quote:
Youre the one that needs to learn about things before you speak.
Learning isn't even the issue here. You need reading glasses or something cause you're seeing and inferring things that don't even exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies