Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:14 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Automobiles come with a sticker on them showing the part content percentages and final point of assembly. So, buy vehicles with a final assembly point in the U.S. and with the transmission and engine made in the U.S. and with the highest U.S. parts content you can find. It's not rocket science.
Well now that makes my Toyota Tacoma that was built in California, is American made. Hum I like that especially when by me buy it gave alot of NONE UNION Americans good jobs . The trani and engine were made in the US, and theres where all my problems were, (JUNK FORD/UNION MADE PRODUCES).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 11:14 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Having owned Toyotas, Hondas and domestic brands, I firmly believe the quality of Honda and Toyota is overhyped. Buy American, support America and show your patriotism.

You have to state to others while mentioning "Buy American", to keep "profits" in the U.S. , which is really the underlying premise to the whole concept.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
You have to state to others while mentioning "Buy American", to keep "profits" in the U.S. , which is really the underlying premise to the whole concept.

If you had your druthers, would you keep profits in the US, or workers in the US? A car made by overseas workers by a US company, or a car made in the US by a foreign company? Twenty years, you all thought gobalization was a wonderful idea. OK, live with it.

Or, buy Toyota stock, and keep the profits at home. Right after you sell your GM stocks for a buck a share. Where did those stay-at-home profits go, besides private jets?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
NAFTA, doen't make it easy to keep the money here, does it? As I once heard, (We the willing, do the impossible, for the ungreatful, with nothing and for nothing so they may have so much and we may have so little).

Old 11-21-2008, 11:30 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you had your druthers, would you keep profits in the US, or workers in the US? A car made by overseas workers by a US company, or a car made in the US by a foreign company? Twenty years, you all thought gobalization was a wonderful idea. OK, live with it.

Or, buy Toyota stock, and keep the profits at home. Right after you sell your GM stocks for a buck a share. Where did those stay-at-home profits go, besides private jets?
A foreign company making a profit on the backs of a national in his/her host nation while contributing none to the infrastructure nor social fabric (besides a "job") while that national gets taxed more and more to keep up with its nations statist ways to maintain infrastructure of sorts is sheer hypocrisy.

I guess, afterall, all in the name of a job. That what really counts, uh?!..

The insanity...

Old 11-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
A foreign company making a profit on the backs of a national in his/her host nation while contributing none to the infrastructure nor social fabric (besides a "job") while that national gets taxed more and more to keep up with its nations statist ways to maintain infrastructure of sorts is sheer hypocrisy.

I guess, afterall, all in the name of a job. That what really counts, uh?!..

The insanity...
Dadgum . Now thats some profound thinking, I like it.
But sorry, I still think the Unions need to take a hike and if the big three want to servive, Take a big pay cut from the top down. Sometimes when you goof while making a cake you need to start from scratch and start all over, as my wife would put it.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:40 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
With all the companies moving over seas, do you feel the it could be a direct cause of the Useless Greedy Unions driving the cost up on every thing made in the good old USA.

Look at a Crane Operator. By union standard they are only allowed to operate that one piece of equipment on the job. Where years ago the one man could operate two or three pieces, instead of the company needing to hire three or for more men. But instaed they hire just that one to run only one for maybe 2 or 4 hours out of the day and get paid $65.00 and up to sit idle most of the day sleeping (and I've seen it for myself happen) and get paid for 8 hours. When he could be moving dirt with a doser some place else on the job site. But NO! the Unions won't allow that to happen, they want 4 more people on the job so they can get more money from all 4 equipment operators. Which in turn drives the cost of the jod up and everything else behind it to get the job done by the contractors. Its a snow ball effect.

So, as for the big three, I say let them all fail on there own. I would love to go work for Toyota or Honda anyday. No Unions and a much better made Vehicle. And if you ever have a chance to talk to a Toyota employee, they all say the same thing. We'll never leave our job, we love it and the Unions can all stay out of our companies.

I've worked in both union and nonunion positions. I've been both labor and management.

It makes absolutely NO sense for any middle/working class American to bash unions. Why some of you so willingly buy into the "robber baron" baloney that you're fed is hard to understand.

Well, I take that back...

Sheeple

Old 11-21-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've worked in both union and nonunion positions. I've been both labor and management.

It makes absolutely NO sense for any middle/working class American to bash unions. Why some of you so willingly buy into the "robber baron" baloney that you're fed is hard to understand.

Well, I take that back...

Sheeple
Hasn't there been times you needed to fire a person that was a total screw-up (by choice), but the union stopped it and thet just laughed atcha. And you knew that that one person needed to be let go?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:50 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Well now that makes my Toyota Tacoma that was built in California, is American made. Hum I like that especially when by me buy it gave alot of NONE UNION Americans good jobs . The trani and engine were made in the US, and theres where all my problems were, (JUNK FORD/UNION MADE PRODUCES).
But you ultimately supported a Japanese company.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
But you ultimately supported a Japanese company.
Yep, I guess I did when I bought my Harley-Davidson with parts like "Shawa front forks, Kien Carb and all electrical wireing, starter and alternater" being made in Japan. We all ultimately support a Japanese company in everything we do in every way of our lives. Get over it, your a forigner just like the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies