U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 01:44 PM

9 posts, read 35,172 times

Advertisements

First it was gas, now food? What happened?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:46 PM

43,856 posts, read 47,734,123 times
I know what you mean. I'm glad Thanksgiving is coming up so my family will remember what it is like eating meat still attached to the bone.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:57 PM

7,298 posts, read 14,478,810 times
Lots of reasons contribute to higher food prices.

Among them: Higher fuel costs. Shift of food crops like corn to ethanol production. On a more global scale, increased demand in Asia, trade restrictions, and weather are also to blame.

Basically, food prices are higher for a lot of the same reasons fuel prices are higher.

This is a little dated, but a nice summary.
Reasons for Rising Food Prices - washingtonpost.com

Old 11-21-2008, 02:08 PM

19,109 posts, read 28,967,794 times
That's why I started growing my own food
This last year all we had was 2 tomato plants, a couple of heads of lettuce (rotating so we always had fresh), some zucchini and squash and some snap peas. We ate better AND saved money. Join a co-op (the one in my area is around $23 a week and you get a GIANT box of fresh veggies every week), talk to a REAL butcher and not the grocery stores, you can usually get fresher meat for the same price or cheaper. It may take a bit more effort, but you will end up being healthier, eating better and saving money

Old 11-21-2008, 11:39 PM

1,955 posts, read 3,349,789 times
What do you bet now that fuel prices have dropped by 50% or more, we won't see the food prices go back down to where they were?

Old 11-21-2008, 11:54 PM

13,180 posts, read 14,145,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
This last year all we had was 2 tomato plants, a couple of heads of lettuce (rotating so we always had fresh), some zucchini and squash and some snap peas. We ate better AND saved money. Join a co-op (the one in my area is around $23 a week and you get a GIANT box of fresh veggies every week), talk to a REAL butcher and not the grocery stores, you can usually get fresher meat for the same price or cheaper. It may take a bit more effort, but you will end up being healthier, eating better and saving money
Good for you. My kids and I started our first garden this year. They are very young and I had them help me through the whole process. Okra was our big success. We'd cut a batch of Okra and Squash and Green Tomatos's and new potatos and fry it all up in olive oil right away..One of the best meals I've ever had.

One big use of natural gas is the process used to make ammonia fertilizers used in large scale commercial agriculture. So that raised the cost of food as well.

Last edited by padcrasher; 11-22-2008 at 12:39 AM..

Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,840 times
They're not - what are you buying? Seriously, I'm not seeing it. I make most of my food from scratch, with raw ingredients, and I buy locally as much as possible.

Are you buying your tomatoes (or whatever) from <insert chain supermarket here> who purchase crops just down the road from you, truck the product hundreds of miles to their distribution center, only to truck it right back to you a week later? Because that's what you're paying for. Support your local farmer's markets.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:03 AM

702 posts, read 2,185,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Ditto. You'd be amazed at what you can grow by yourself in just a few raised beds in a small yard. I have a tiny yard and grew far more produce than I could eat - and I did was throw some seeds down and water it. If you're more diligent with square foot gardening and raised beds, you can produce a lot of vegetables with minimal effort. Aim for things that last longer, like potatoes, squash, and onions.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:44 PM

11,944 posts, read 13,926,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
What do you bet now that fuel prices have dropped by 50% or more, we won't see the food prices go back down to where they were?
Food prices didn't go up immediately with fuel costs. Time delay involved with cost of crop to market price and farmers/distributors were eating the higher costs for a long while vs losing to competitors imports. I think prices will be coming down on food unless they gear down production altogether.

Garden- great stuff. I have no skills for canning but it's definitely on my to do list.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:48 PM

12,642 posts, read 14,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGlacius View Post
First it was gas, now food? What happened?

No farms?

I found it interesting that we import most of our apple juice from China, and a bit scary as well considering we have a wee bit more regulation on pesticides...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies