Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
I wonder what could have triggered the burning hatred you talk of? Christians being too kind and supportive over the years, maybe?
So if you think somebody has wronged you (either perceived or real), it's perfectly fine to harbor burning, seething hatred?

I bet you hate a lot of people don't you? I know I would have to...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 05:44 AM
JGY JGY started this thread

347 posts, read 419,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I wonder how many straight people would say that they weren't "born straight", and that being heterosexual was a conscious decision they made.

I don't know

But I will say this, I believe that people are either born straight and then develop homosexuality.

OR

People are born assexual, and then sometime during puberty sexuality is determined.

I don't believe people were born gay.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 AM

348 posts, read 502,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Sorry, is that the best you can do? I remember kids doing that in the 3rd grade when they couldn't come up with anything better. Your so smart.
Smart, yes - but a little short of perfect - but I'm getting there!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
But this is simply not so, the studies are not in agreement and on top of that, some of the studies seem to indicate a combination of factors both nature and nurture.
So why the hostility?

Old 11-23-2008, 05:54 AM

Because I don't believe a certain small sector of society should wield enough power to overide democratic voting processes and try to change an age old traditional system of marriage.

Also the homosexual issue nearly ripped my life apart and I almost willignly decided to give up my family, my God, and everything I believed in for the pursuit of pleasure.

This is what the gay agenda boils down to--achieving personal fulfillment at the expense of those you love, and making your sexuality the very core of your life.

I thank God I woke up and saw it for what it was.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
So if you think somebody has wronged you (either perceived or real), it's perfectly fine to harbor burning, seething hatred?

I bet you hate a lot of people don't you? I know I would have to...
"Burning, seething hatred" was JGY's choice of words, and not mine, to start with - I, myself, feel no such thing. Trouble is, hostility to minorities, including gays, demeans the person who harbours such unreasoned thoughts, argue as they will how tolerant they are ... so forgive me if I turn your argument around.

In fact, though I know a great many gay people, I can put my hand on my heart and say that NOT ONE of us is consumed with hatred towards the rest of society at all - we leave that to the sort of bigots who post their venom on these sites - and try to get on with our lives, like everybody else.

You have to admit that the individuals who regularly post anti-gay propaganda seem to be MUCH more exercised about the whole issue - and it always says far more about their hang-ups and sexual insecurities than any gay I know. As you can see, there's never any shortage of such posts - It's most telling... why can't they simply live and let live?

Beats me...

Old 11-23-2008, 06:21 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,456 times
Quote:
"Burning, seething hatred" was JGY's choice of words, and not mine, to start with - I, myself, feel no such thing. Trouble is, hostility to minorities, including gays, demeans the person who harbours such unreasoned thoughts, argue as they will how tolerant they are ... so forgive me if I turn your argument around.

In fact, though I know a great many gay people, I can put my hand on my heart and say that NOT ONE of us is consumed with hatred towards the rest of society at all - we leave that to the sort of bigots who post their venom on these sites - and try to get on with our lives, like everybody else.

You have to admit that the individuals who regularly post anti-gay propaganda seem to be MUCH more exercised about the whole issue - and it always says far more about their hang-ups and sexual insecurities than any gay I know. As you can see, there's never any shortage of such posts - It's most telling... why can't they simply live and let live?

Beats me...
That could be, but you wouldn't know it by the number of posts - by angry spiteful gays - on this forum.

Perhaps there's just a little venting going on here?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:

You have to admit that the individuals who regularly post anti-gay propaganda seem to be MUCH more exercised about the whole issue - and it always says far more about their hang-ups and sexual insecurities than any gay I know. As you can see, there's never any shortage of such posts - It's most telling... why can't they simply live and let live?.
They would not let me 'live and let live" They tried everything in the world to discredit me, they continually insulted me and my wife, plus they insinuated nasty vicious rumours that were so far from the truth.

The gays simply can't live and let live. They will hound you and will not stop until you renounce everything that you believe is sacred. There is no middle ground for these folks. If you simply object to one particular aspect of "gaydom" you are automatically branded a bigot.

I tried to go the middle road with them, but that simply would not do.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Time for a re-think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGY View Post
Because I don't believe a certain small sector of society should wield enough power to overide democratic voting processes and try to change an age old traditional system of marriage.

Also the homosexual issue nearly ripped my life apart and I almost willignly decided to give up my family, my God, and everything I believed in for the pursuit of pleasure.

This is what the gay agenda boils down to--achieving personal fulfillment at the expense of those you love, and making your sexuality the very core of your life.

I thank God I woke up and saw it for what it was.
THAT, JGY IS SIMPLY OUTRAGEOUS!

To start with, age old-traditions are not immune from fresh scrutiny - you could say that slavery was a time-honoured tradition - but it was still wrong. Marriage is not wrong, per se, but it negates its validity by being so exclusive. It's PEOPLE IN LOVE who desire to marry, regardless of gender. Would including them invalidate Marriage as an institution? I think not...

I'm sorry to hear that your personal issues with homosexuality caused you so much needless grief, and I know from my own experiences as a youngster where you are coming from. However, unlike you, when I was confronted with these same problems, I had no choice but to be honest with myself and follow my natural instinct. (I had, by that point, already left my strict Methodist up-bringing behind me as a meaningless encumbrance, so I didn't become a humanist because I was gay).

Like you, I was the product of a heterosexual familial set-up - and if it's possible, as you would say, to influence a child's innate sexuality - than being exposed from birth to nothing but heterosexuality both in the family home and at school would have imprinted me with totally straight impulses - but we know it doesn't work that way. I'm deeply offended that you see my life as nothing but the 'pursuit of pleasure' - nothing, believe me, could be further from the reality of my life, which has often involved much struggle on many fronts.

That said, I think my problems would have been far worse if I was also struggling with denial of my gayness at the same time. I think you have chosen, maybe unwisely, to go on struggling with your sexuality all your life, and as we can see (with respect) that struggle is as far as ever from being resolved. I would venture to say you have turned that struggle outwards, focusing your anger on your fellow-gays, rather than on yourself.

My family, after some initial misgivings, turned out to be as supportive as I could have wished, bless them, - and this was NOT AT ALL what I would have expected. They had enough love to overcome their original religious horror of homosexuality - but, tragically, I guess, you will now never know whether your folks would have responded in the same way.

You made that decision, and now we see the upsetting result here on this forum, ie. you laying into gay people with a personal vehemence that obviously springs from your own on-going confusion. You know as well as I do that gay people aren't the monsters you make us out to be, and very conveniently, you've latched on to some of the more bizarre elements that are sometimes seen, but in no way represent the descent, responsible majority of gays.

I chose not to lie to myself, and in that, I believe I am the stronger person, despite my many faults.

Brian.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
Wow, you have such a profound understanding of the "gay agenda", Dude they just want to get married. The reasons are very simple they want to be able to share property legally, raise their kids w/o court battles, and visit their loved ones in the hospital. The assumption that it only has to do with sexuality is wrong. Is it so hard to believe that two people who are the same sex could actually love each other?

Actually gay marriage was legal in California under the state constitution. So to me it seams that the religious right will inflict it's will on the masses however they see fit.

The "gay agenda" is just something they use to scare you into hating the gay population. What are you so afraid of? That gay people will all of the sudden come out of the woodwork and turn you and every other straight person gay? Well here's a little advice: ITS NOT ABOUT YOU.

I am not gay, nor do I live in California, but I do believe in human rights. That means all humans.

Get some therapy.

"The reasons are very simple they want to be able to share property legally, raise their kids w/o court battles, and visit their loved ones in the hospital."

No reason the things you listed couldn't be done under existing law without being married.

"Actually gay marriage was legal in California under the state constitution."

May 16, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO -- -- The California Supreme Court struck down the state's ban on same-sex marriage Thursday in a broadly worded decision that would invalidate virtually any law that discriminates on the basis of sexual orientation.

Gay marriage: California Supreme Court overturns ban - Los Angeles Times

The institution of marriage is provided primarily for the security of the children the heterosexual relationship creates. Since a homosexual relationship produces zero children, and the benefits of marriage for the adults can be arranged through other legal arrangements, their is no compelling argument for changing the definition of marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies