Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 05:36 AM

495 posts, read 748,018 times

Advertisements

When he takes office, President-elect Barack Obama says he wants to boost funding for research and treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), which are being diagnosed across the country, he recognizes, “at an alarming pace.”

Link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:13 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,440,538 times

Old 11-22-2008, 02:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
as a uncle who has a nephew with PPD ( a milder form of Autism) I commend President elect Obama on his initiative. Children with special needs have been far too often neglected in many parts of this nation. Thankfully we here in Florida haven't had any issues in regards to education and treatment on his behalf.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Is PPD a new name for what used to be called Asperger's Syndrome? If not, how does it differ? Websites are so full of gobbledy-****, that I can't figure it out from google. (= "Gobbledy-Korean-American")

I am adult Aspergers and I was never a "special needs child". I just took my knocks like everybody else, and found out at the age of 60 that there was a name for what I was, besides wierd. We are very close to a point at which fetuses that are just like me will be (even if planned) selectively aborted, which is discomforting.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
jtur88 actually PPD stands for Pervasive Personality Disorder since they now have many levels of Autism to define. My nephew did not speak at all when he was 2 years old or even interact like most children do. Thankfully through therapy & education he has managed well but it is quite apparent to most who meet him that he will need to be taken care of for most of his life.
As for the abortion aspect I perish the thought because in a very selfish way these kids with their handicaps makes us realize how fortunate we are to be "normal" (as if there is such a thing) and what a difference he has made in our family and the joy he brings us.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:33 PM

773 posts, read 1,215,212 times
Hopefully Obama has put some thought into how he plans to fund such feel good schemes. In a perfect world, it's very hard to not support all funding towards research into curing all diseases; but hey I'm a health heretic willing to debate this emotional issue.
I don't mind if at present they take this funding out of military budget, however in more likelihood, it will mean more taxation theft from American taxpayers.
Any tax increases imposed on the people to fund this will only steal more money out of the wallets of people who are having a hard time taking care of their own children, some already suffering from other illnesses.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:16 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
Hopefully Obama has put some thought into how he plans to fund such feel good schemes. In a perfect world, it's very hard to not support all funding towards research into curing all diseases; but hey I'm a health heretic willing to debate this emotional issue.
I don't mind if at present they take this funding out of military budget, however in more likelihood, it will mean more taxation theft from American taxpayers.
Any tax increases imposed on the people to fund this will only steal more money out of the wallets of people who are having a hard time taking care of their own children, some already suffering from other illnesses.

Well, if the US would just be nice like other countries it would not need the enormous military budget and funding this along with universal health care wouldn't be an issue.

Obama is going to be a great president. I have to admit, I have difficulty dealing with kids with this spectrum of disorders, as I don't understand them (and it is part of my job). I am glad to see they are going to do research on this.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:34 PM

89 posts, read 303,273 times
what a waste of money

Old 11-22-2008, 06:36 PM

84 posts, read 123,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Well, if the US would just be nice like other countries it would not need the enormous military budget and funding this along with universal health care wouldn't be an issue.

Obama is going to be a great president. I have to admit, I have difficulty dealing with kids with this spectrum of disorders, as I don't understand them (and it is part of my job). I am glad to see they are going to do research on this.
I second mcmastersteve's note of caution. A big promise is just a big promise, and politicians' allocating money does not equate to human charity. It is just bureaucratic procedure. The best way to be charitable is to be charitable, not to appeal to political procedure.

When it comes to different countries, I am interested to find out just how nice is nice enough for movin' on. It could be that movin' on will never concede that nice enough is nice enough, which would mean that he/she is just playing dictator.

Lastly, the statement that Obama is "going" to be a great President is highly irrational. In exchange for a promise that is very easy for him to make, he has the zealous (overzealous?) support of lots of people who think they are the tail who wags this politician's dog. For sure, the politician himself is happy to have their support.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:49 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCC View Post
I second mcmastersteve's note of caution. A big promise is just a big promise, and politicians' allocating money does not equate to human charity. It is just bureaucratic procedure. The best way to be charitable is to be charitable, not to appeal to political procedure.
No, it isn't. This needs to be researched. You obviously don't deal with these kids in your day to day life. I do.

Quote:
When it comes to different countries, I am interested to find out just how nice is nice enough for movin' on. It could be that movin' on will never concede that nice enough is nice enough, which would mean that he/she is just playing dictator.
Nice like Switzerland, who stays out of other people's affairs and has managed to stay out of wars.

Quote:
Lastly, the statement that Obama is "going" to be a great President is highly irrational. In exchange for a promise that is very easy for him to make, he has the zealous (overzealous?) support of lots of people who think they are the tail who wags this politician's dog. For sure, the politician himself is happy to have their support.
Lastly, why do you hate these kids? Why do you deny them much needed research to improve the quality of their lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies