Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do we need to get rid of all job unions in this country?
Yes 19 32.20%
No 33 55.93%
Maybe 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:38 PM

387 posts, read 677,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Well I don't think not having unions will make us a communist. If that were so, then we were communist before the unions came around years ago.
Besides, we have all kinds of laws that protect workers today. I've seen more people just go out and get a lawyer to do the job for them. And the lawyer doesn't expect to get more money after they have completed thier job like the union. And the lawyer did a lot better job than the union did too. Now I do have to admit that the union was needed years ago when the big corperations would walk all over the little man. But now they (the union) have gotten as greedy as the corps are and have out lived thier usefulness. Again we have laws to protect us and if you don'y like where you work? Go some place else.
Just trying to make you think of things a little differently. Seriously, what's your law going to read like? "People of the same trade may not congregate nor bargain together with other institutions"?

What you're proposing is in stark contrast to a free market. A free market relies less on government oversight and more on competition. Taking away a natural part of the free market and replacing it with lawyers and government regulation sure sounds like an authoritarian economic system to me, and I'm a Democrat!

As for whether unions existed before. You could argue they did in the form of guilds, but that would be a stretch. I would simply point out that corporations did not exist in their current state before Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad -- the court case where the Supreme Court ruled that corporations have rights not expressly granted to them by the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:44 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
Just trying to make you think of things a little differently. Seriously, what's your law going to read like? "People of the same trade may not congregate nor bargain together with other institutions"?

What you're proposing is in stark contrast to a free market. A free market relies less on government oversight and more on competition. Taking away a natural part of the free market and replacing it with lawyers and government regulation sure sounds like an authoritarian economic system to me, and I'm a Democrat!

As for whether unions existed before. You could argue they did in the form of guilds, but that would be a stretch. I would simply point out that corporations did not exist in their current state before Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad -- the court case where the Supreme Court ruled that corporations have rights not expressly granted to them by the states.
Your right about that, and I won't argue the point. And we can step back a little further back in time to the " Molly McGuires" remember them?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 PM

387 posts, read 677,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Your right about that, and I won't argue the point. And we can step back a little further back in time to the " Molly McGuires" remember them?
It rung a bell, but I had to Google them.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
This country needs unions. Without unions employees would have substandard working conditions and non-livable wages. The CEO's and other top management people should be the ones taking a pay cut not Joe-worker who is busting his/her butt to put food on the table. He/She are the ones who actually make the company profits and thus deserve to have benefits and decent pay.

Unions have done so much good for the workers of this nation and I hope the Bush Union-busting laws will be a thing of the past. If you don't want to be in a union than don't work at a union company. But if you do work at a union company: JOIN and PAY your DUES , don't be a freeloader! They are a disgrace to workers everywhere.

Right to Work for Less (http://www.aflcio.org/issues/legislativealert/stateissues/work/ - broken link)
my part of the Construction industry does not have unions, Yet I get paid very well, have great benefits, and wel... am doing just darn fine. Your notion that the unions are the ones that are protecting people is wrong, just look at the auto industry. Greedy unions have all but caused the collapse of the American car manufacturers. The factory's building Honda's are not unionized, and they are not doing so bad.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Well, let's see...

Unions represent a whopping 12% of the American workforce, so if you abolish unions who will you have left to blame?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:53 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
It rung a bell, but I had to Google them.
I was hoping that you knew it right off the bat. I wanted to fire some points to ya.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:54 PM

23,846 posts, read 24,091,732 times
I'm probably going to get heavily involved in this thread, against my better judgment. This is one issue that people are immovable on, but I'm pretty passionate about it. Anyway...
Quote:
Unions are an element of the free market. Companies voluntarity enter into agreements with them, just like they do with other companies.
No, they don't. Check out the Railway Labor Act, the Norris-LaGuardia Act and the Wagner Act. Employers have NO SAY in whether or not employees "organize," and they CANNOT replace them for doing so. There is no "voluntarily entering into agreements" with unions. Unions hold the employer by the throat and squeeze ungodly wages and benefits, well above the value of the work being performed out of them.

The unions were created when they were really needed, and they've done a lot of good work, but they are nothing but leeches sucking the life out of our companies and our country now. Today, they exist only to enrich their upper echelon of management, and to do that, they must continue to justify their existence to their members. This can only be done by getting more and more for their members, without the members having to give anything in return.

It's legal extortion - nothing less.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well, let's see...

Unions represent a whopping 12% of the American workforce, so if you abolish unions who will you have left to blame?
It's that high? No wonder everything produced in the U.S. costs so much.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:01 PM

558 posts, read 1,834,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I still think you shouldn't be forced to join a union. That should not be a pre-requisite for a job.
Don't take employment at a Union company then. It's not fair to unions when they are required by law to defend freeloaders. There are plenty of non-union companies to work for if you don't like unions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
my part of the Construction industry does not have unions, Yet I get paid very well, have great benefits, and wel... am doing just darn fine. Your notion that the unions are the ones that are protecting people is wrong, just look at the auto industry. Greedy unions have all but caused the collapse of the American car manufacturers. The factory's building Honda's are not unionized, and they are not doing so bad.
You only get paid well because UNIONS have fought for your rights for many years. Even non-union employees benefit from the higher wages and better benefits that unions have maintained for their workers..........non-union companies have to compete with the union wages or everyone will either vote the union in or leave for a union company. Next time you see a union man in your trade you should thank him for your quality of life.

Don't blame the Unions for greedy corporations.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Don't blame the Unions for greedy corporations.
Unions ARE greedy corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies