Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:54 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times

Advertisements

The big 3 can gut the union contracts, and then recover, and pay a fair wage, and sell vehicles in a competitive market. Now the being paid $71/hour to sit on your azz due to the union contract, and multi-hundred million executive salaries will be gone. Those are the jobs that must go, and the sooner the better.

Bail them out and the greedy Mod cut (union and executives) will be back for another hundred Billion next year.

Last edited by Reads2MUCH; 11-27-2008 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 06:55 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingclouds View Post
I refuse to buy a car not made in America. I think the republican red states with the like of Toyota plants are trying to see that the big 3 fail. They think they will get the corner on the manufacturing market if Detroit goes down.
I too refuse to buy a car not made in America, but I'm not sure if I agree with you on the rest. However, your statement sure is thought-provoking and makes me think so kudos to you!

Old 11-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
I agree that taking luxury private jets was stupid, but what makes anyone think that the folks from Toyota or Honda wouldn't have done the same thing?
But they don't need to go beg for taxpayer bailout, they run profitable companies.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I too refuse to buy a car not made in America, but I'm not sure if I agree with you on the rest. However, your statement sure is thought-provoking and makes me think so kudos to you!
Toyota, BMW, Honda, Mercedes, and others are MADE IN THE USA.

Many Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles are made in MEXICO and CANADA.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:41 PM

972 posts, read 1,330,677 times
Quote:
Well it hit me when I read the main repub speaking out against getting the rest to go against it sen shelby has those plants in his state and those plants would not be eligible for the money.

Sen. Shelby: How Sweet Is the Auto Business in Alabama? Not Very - Auto Observer

Senators oppose auto bailout | montgomeryadvertiser.com | Montgomery Advertiser (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008811140306 - broken link)

Also, I noticed the oil states are against it, like Inhofe from oklahoma who really do not want to see green cars made, and think this whole thing is a green car conspiracy.

.: United States Senator James Inhofe :: Home :.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:43 PM

972 posts, read 1,330,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Toyota, BMW, Honda, Mercedes, and others are MADE IN THE USA.

Many Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles are made in MEXICO and CANADA.
American cars are still built here as well. But, you do have to check and make sure you are getting an american made one these days.

http://www.uaw.org/uawmade/auto/2008/index.cfm (broken link)
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0707

Which I believe if we bail them out or help them they should not be allowed to move anymore plants.

Last edited by chasingclouds; 11-27-2008 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: links

Old 11-27-2008, 07:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
dinosaurs bent on their own self destruction. they will not produce fuel efficient cars not now not ever. big fat americans driving big fat cars making OPEC big fat rich and well armed.
let he who can hit the ball step up to the plate.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:25 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
dinosaurs bent on their own self destruction. they will not produce fuel efficient cars not now not ever. big fat americans driving big fat cars making OPEC big fat rich and well armed.
let he who can hit the ball step up to the plate.

Really? what do they build?

Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I live in SE MI and am well acquainted with the UAW. They are the most overpaid and under worked group of carenots I've personally had the misfortune of seeing not work. I'm an auto mechanic by trade. A number of years ago I was hired by a UAW prototype shop. I was shown the door before my 90 days were complete as was the norm, but in that time I got to witness the most ridiculous examples of why to not do business in the US. Later, when I worked for a Chrysler dealership, we would often get no parts deliveries because the UAW members wouldn't work when water was on the floor at the warehouse. Now Odumbo wants to pay UAW members to build batteries for electric cars. OK, what about those of us who actually know what it means to work for a living. What about people who don't spend more time thinking up excuses for not working than actually working. No, they get nothing because the UAW turned out the vote. The rest of us get nothing.
I have to agree 100% .38 years working for all Ford , Chevy and Chrysler Dealerships autobody averaged $15 to $ 18 flat rate hr. Knowing the bodys from front to back and most of the mechanic areas too. While they paid those at the factory upwards of $30.Hr plus benefits to hang a door or put a seat in one side . They deserve to see what the real world has to do to make a buck.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,211,852 times
The big 3 react and design to market demand. GM and Ford in Europe build some sweet looking cars. But then Europe has no issues with diesel engines and they like the small sporty look.
I Own a 08 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport. My 3rd Toyota truck. Why?
1. Outstanding reliability
2. I like how they look more than I like the GM or dodge look.
3. I owned a 98 Ranger and spent more time in the shop than in my own drive way.
My issue with GM is their 4 wheel drives look like 2 wheel drives. I don't need a full size truck . I hate the look of the Colorado.
Dodge are gas hogs.
My 08 rated at 16 city 20 highway actually gets 19 city and right around 23 highway. Every Toyota I have owned has exceeded the EPA rating.
That Ranger never delivered. Great looking vehicle but it and the service departments were terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies