Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 03:16 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times

Advertisements

While a young man committed suicide, people egged him on and made jokes...
this is really sickening... is this how little compassion show for other human beings anymore?

Florida teen commits suicide in front of webcam - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-webcam-suicide22-2008nov22,0,2749143.story - broken link)

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 03:20 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
While a young man committed suicide, people egged him on and made jokes...
this is really sickening... is this how little compassion show for other human beings anymore?

Florida teen commits suicide in front of webcam - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-webcam-suicide22-2008nov22,0,2749143.story - broken link)
This is absolutely appalling.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:23 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Sad. The value of the "entertainment" for the viewers was more important to their selfish minds than the fact that another person was dying. Very sad.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:25 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
This is an example of how our society has become more callous to the suffering of others. We don't value life anymore as a society.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:26 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
katzen I'm afraid this is the product of trolls/snerts crying wolf so often that people become hardened to what's real vs what isn't.

Similarly, hear enough stories in neurotic news of good Samaritans getting bludgeoned to death helping a scam flat tire or an infant on a doorstep used to gain entry for a break in... it really does erode at good will toward man.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:28 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
I read that yesterday and was deeply saddened. Distrubing that people were calling him names and telling him to do it Very sad.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:31 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
I wonder if people are becoming less caring to those in trouble, or have always been this way and it is just now more out in the open.

This is just so sad. I can't imagine egging someone on, even if I thought they were "faking" it for attention.

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-23-2008, 03:38 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Already saw this happen in chatrooms years back... some are more concerned about being thought a fool for getting duped than giving the benefit of the doubt. Yes, that's tragic.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:39 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I wonder if people are becoming less caring to those in trouble, or have always been this way and it is just now more out in the open.

This is just so sad. I can't imagine egging someone on, even if I thought they were "faking" it for attention.
I agree. How you can treat sombody in obvious pain so badly is beyond me. I can't believe people would actually egg him on even if they thought it was joke. Suicide is no laughing matter. Yes some people use it for attention but most are truly hurting inside and need help from somebody. To tell them to go through with it and call them names just boggles my mind. It really made me sad to read the article

Old 11-23-2008, 03:48 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
I am very much in favor of women working, but when society changed so that most woman now must work, then the kids born into some households who require extra monitoring and perhaps more bonding with parents are left by the wayside to fend for themselves.

I remember people commenting on some Slavic authors as being nihilistic. I used to think it was, in part, because of kids being dropped off in day care and both parents working. I think the same thing is happening here. Some children do not feel that they have loving, engaged parents. They develop their own code of ethics.

Some kids just need a lot more attention than others and now there is nobody available to supply that.

I cannot imagine how many more of these unwanted, uncared for kids would be with us if women did not have the choice of whether or not to have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies