Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM

558 posts, read 1,830,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
The other day I walk passed the free paper and I look I see the mugshots of 16 guys on there next to them I see in big bold letters "Sweep 16". So I figure hmm maybe sex offenders? But no when I picked up the paper and read the tiny little caption underneath "Sweep 16" it said they were arrested for picking up hookers.

Hookers? That's it? Their mugshot is on front of the newspaper because they wanted to pay for sex?

I just don't get what the hell the big deal is and to spend tax money on a sting to bust these guys who did nothing wrong in my opinion.
Tax it, regulate it, have mandatory std and aids tests, etc.............

I'd rather my tax dollars go to solving REAL crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,607,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
They are still making money to make a living. Would you rather have them steal? Even if they are drug "abusers" (and that's something else I have no problem with), who cares? they are not selling the drugs to you and they are not forcing you to have sex with them.

Drug users are no different than those that buy alcohol or cigarettes. The only difference is that, once again, it is not regulated by the government, therefore, no taxes are collected. That's why both practices are illegal in the USA.
I hate to disagree with you.....but..

I believe the point was that most prostitutes aren't making an informed decision. They are vulnerable in every sense of the word. Prostitution isn't about a sex amongst consenting adults so much as it is exploitation of societies vulnerable members -- drug addicts, runaways, etc.... I mean, who really profits? The prostitutes? No, the men who use them and the men who get the money.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:23 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,847,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Should we also start putting the sufferers of any dangerous contagious disease on the front page?

Tuberculosis for example?

And those who've contracted HIV thru transfusions? After all, though they may not be paying for it they may well be having sex.

Where should the effort to create pariahs stop?
You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Most people who suffer from a disease such a TB and know they suffer from it do not generally try and go around exposing others to it. Same with most normal folks who got HIV from a transfusion or even through sexual contact and know they have it, they do not generally go around trying to expose others to it. There are some who are not so careful like Gregg Luganis, (sp?) the Olympic diver, who hit his head on the diving board and didn't tell anyone right away that he had HIV. That to me was very wrong on his account and hopefully the chlorine in the water helped keep others from contracting the disease.

People who purposely pay for sex with an illegal prostitute, go in knowing that they could most likely be exposed to an STD and then hide it from everyone that they were with a prositute because they are ashamed. How many husbands or wives go home and tell their spouses that they just had sex with a hooker? A very low number I can grant you that. How many of those spouses become unknowing victims of an STD or HIV because of their husband or wife's shameful infidelity?

Illegal prostitutes are less likely to go and seek medical help or get regular check-ups and tested for contagious diseases. Even if they do test positive for an STD or HIV, they are still less likely to take themselves off the street and thereby exposing "Johns and Janes" that are to ashamed to admit they pay for sex to an STD or HIV. Right now there are very few laws that can stop a prostitute who has STDs, HIV or Aides from being a health risk exposure. Some places are trying to make it a felony charge against a prostitute who knowingly has HIV or Aides and continues to sell themselves on the streets. But being that there is no way that they can force a prostitute to take a test or reveal it's results it's hard to know who has HIV or Aides and who dosen't.

It can take quite some time after being exposed to HIV or Aides, before a person tests positive for it if they test for it to begin with. How many of those "Johns and Janes" are going to put off having sex or practice safe sex after they have been with an illegal prostitute until they discover if they have HIV or not? Changing their sexual practices with their spouses or persons they regularly have sex with can rouse suspicion. In the mean time if they do have HIV they still risk giving it to someone else. Just because the test hasn't confirmed it yet or not dosen't stop it from being contagious.

In general most "Johns and Janes" that are caught with an illegal prostitute are charged with a misdemeanor and can easily be covered up so their spouses or persons they regularly sleep with never find out. It's easy enough to say they have to go to court for a speeding ticket.

"Johns and Janes" who have sex with illegal prostitutes do pose a greater health risk than say someone who knowingly has a contagious disease, but only because most of them are ashamed of their indiscretions.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:25 AM

695 posts, read 1,373,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
They are still making money to make a living. Would you rather have them steal? Even if they are drug "abusers" (and that's something else I have no problem with), who cares? they are not selling the drugs to you and they are not forcing you to have sex with them.

Drug users are no different than those that buy alcohol or cigarettes. The only difference is that, once again, it is not regulated by the government, therefore, no taxes are collected. That's why both practices are illegal in the USA.
So you're okay with 13-year old runaway girls being forced into prostitution?

Personally, I'd rather see them get help that doesn't involve exploitation.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,494,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I just don't get what the hell the big deal is and to spend tax money on a sting to bust these guys who did nothing wrong in my opinion.

Yes, they did do something wrong. They knew something was illegal, and they did it anyway.

I happen to agree that prostitution should be legal, but until it is, it's breaking the law. And you should always do the time for doing the crime.
I get the part about it being illegal although I also do not I agree with it. My problem is the great lengths they went. A cop is doing his usual right happens to spot a guy picking up a hooker. Fine, the law is the law like you said.

But to set up an elaborate operation and contact the media (which I am guessing they did) is just beyond extreme for a crime like this.

Not all prostitutes are drug addicted run aways. Some of these women actually do not mind what they do for a living. I think making it legal would make things a lot safer.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:46 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,847,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Um no, I have no interest in knowing about the private lives of individuals. It's not my business if someone chooses to go to a prostitute to get their fix. And if the guy catches something, that's his fault. If he chooses not to tell his wife/girlfriend/next sexual partner, that's his problem of course & ALSO the person he's having sex with for not using a condom. Sexual lives of people are nobody's business & to embarrass them by broadcasting that on the front page of a paper is completely ridiculous.
Let me ask you this, are you married? If so do you use condoms when having sex with your spouse? Does your spouse insist that you wear a condom?

Most married couples or couples in a monagamist relationship do not use a condom, unless they are trying to prevent pregnancy. Still in that case most will use the pill or some other form of prevention and not a condom.

When I got married to my spouse, we both vowed to be faithful to one another. Most spouses assume that their spouse is being faithful, it's only natural to assume that. So because I feel that my spouse is being faithful, I do not feel the need to use a condom when having sex. So if my spouse went out and slept with a prostitute and I was not told of his infedelity and he contracted an STD or HIV and then gives it to me, it's my fault because I didn't make him wear a condom?

Yes the sex lives of people should be of no interest to anyone else but them. But let me ask you this final question, Say you were thinking of hooking up with someone at a bar and your friends knew that this person had an STD or HIV, wouldn't you want to know ahead of time so you could make an informed decision about sleeping with this person? Condoms are not 100% garanteed to protect you from an STD or HIV. But if you still choose to have sex with the person, you are more likely to make sure that you expsose yourself as little as possible to the disease.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM

613 posts, read 1,268,426 times
I believe it's another thing that is only dangerous because it's illegal. If highly regulated prostitution was availible I'm sure no joe lonely would buy the services of a random crackwhore on the streets ever again. Which would cut funding for the horrendous sex slave trade not to mention the criminals that not only use these "women" but horribly abuse them mentally physically and emotionally. So what side are you really on.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:47 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,524,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Let me ask you this, are you married? If so do you use condoms when having sex with your spouse? Does your spouse insist that you wear a condom?

Most married couples or couples in a monagamist relationship do not use a condom, unless they are trying to prevent pregnancy. Still in that case most will use the pill or some other form of prevention and not a condom.

When I got married to my spouse, we both vowed to be faithful to one another. Most spouses assume that their spouse is being faithful, it's only natural to assume that. So because I feel that my spouse is being faithful, I do not feel the need to use a condom when having sex. So if my spouse went out and slept with a prostitute and I was not told of his infedelity and he contracted an STD or HIV and then gives it to me, it's my fault because I didn't make him wear a condom?

Yes the sex lives of people should be of no interest to anyone else but them. But let me ask you this final question, Say you were thinking of hooking up with someone at a bar and your friends knew that this person had an STD or HIV, wouldn't you want to know ahead of time so you could make an informed decision about sleeping with this person? Condoms are not 100% garanteed to protect you from an STD or HIV. But if you still choose to have sex with the person, you are more likely to make sure that you expsose yourself as little as possible to the disease.
Nope, not married but I have been in long term relationships where of course we didn't use condoms. My whole point is that it takes two to tango & just because someone went to a prostitute does not warrant having their heads on the front page.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:48 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,100,737 times
Quote:
You are comparing apples to oranges here.

Most people who suffer from a disease such a TB and know they suffer from it do not generally try and go around exposing others to it. Same with most normal folks who got HIV from a transfusion or even through sexual contact and know they have it, they do not generally go around trying to expose others to it. There are some who are not so careful like Gregg Luganis, (sp?) the Olympic diver, who hit his head on the diving board and didn't tell anyone right away that he had HIV. That to me was very wrong on his account and hopefully the chlorine in the water helped keep others from contracting the disease.
And what is to say people with HIV do? Any facts to support what is here merely your opinion?

Quote:
People who purposely pay for sex with an illegal prostitute, go in knowing that they could most likely be exposed to an STD and then hide it from everyone that they were with a prositute because they are ashamed. How many husbands or wives go home and tell their spouses that they just had sex with a hooker? A very low number I can grant you that. How many of those spouses become unknowing victims of an STD or HIV because of their husband or wife's shameful infidelity?
This has NOTHING to do with $$$ or legality, infidelity is infidelity, paid for or not. As is the transmission of disease.

Quote:
Illegal prostitutes are less likely to go and seek medical help or get regular check-ups and tested for contagious diseases. Even if they do test positive for an STD or HIV, they are still less likely to take themselves off the street and thereby exposing "Johns and Janes" that are to ashamed to admit they pay for sex to an STD or HIV. Right now there are very few laws that can stop a prostitute who has STDs, HIV or Aides from being a health risk exposure. Some places are trying to make it a felony charge against a prostitute who knowingly has HIV or Aides and continues to sell themselves on the streets. But being that there is no way that they can force a prostitute to take a test or reveal it's results it's hard to know who has HIV or Aides and who dosen't.
Facts? Anywhere?

And BTW, you'd be more credible if you'd at least use the proper terminology----- it's AIDS, not Aides

Old 11-24-2008, 11:57 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,821,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
The problem with prostitution lies primarily in the fact that many (most?) prostitutes are not prostitutes by choice. Many are runaway girls who have been forced into it. Or drug abusers who are turning tricks to get some drug money.

It's not just a free trade of money for goods.
This in some cases may be true but there isnt any effort to assist these people prior to them selling their "cookies". Nor after. The system spends a fortune to catch these guys and they go into the system so they can generate a fine. the women are not assisted in any way, with drug treatment, aid to help them get off the streets or counseling....

So while one may think we are helping them we simply provide another hurdle in their lives to overcome. Our justice system is designed to raise funds for the government. If someone wants to pay fro sex and anothr wants to make money for it... so be it. The government is upset because they arent making money off the transacton. They don't care otherwise. I say spend the time on other things... credit card fraud, bad checks, murder, robbery... otherwise I have little use for the police dept as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies