Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:37 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,114,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbunny View Post
why should they appologize. Slavery was manifested by the African nations themselves who sold their brothers for money. Indentured servants were just as poorly off. Slavery still goes on in the world. Man against man always has been seems to always be.
Some African nations may have indeed literally sold out their brothers and sisters. However, it was primarily European who bought and brought them to the Americas. Apparently no crisis of conscience affected those "buyers' that would have prevented them from making the "sale" in the first place.

I agree that an apology shouldn't be necessary now. It actually should have been made when the states reunited after the Civil War. But as a relatively new black resident of a state who fought hard to retain the "right" to enslave my ancestors, I say: "Better late than never."

Slavery is bad no matter who the oppressor and the victim is. It should be rooted out wherever it exists today.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:41 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,610,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Some African nations may have indeed literally sold out their brothers and sisters. However, it was primarily European who bought and brought them to the Americas. Apparently no crisis of conscience affected those "buyers' that would have prevented them from making the "sale" in the first place.

I agree that an apology shouldn't be necessary now. It actually should have been made when the states reunited after the Civil War. But as a relatively new black resident of a state who fought hard to retain the "right" to enslave my ancestors, I say: "Better late than never."

Slavery is bad no matter who the oppressor and the victim is. It should be rooted out wherever it exists today.
You're also leaving out that the plantation owners didn't hop in a dinghy and sail over there themselves. Regardless of where they got them from, Europeans still sold them to other Europeans as a commodity.

So yeah, I think an apology is a nice thing, but in the grand scheme of things it's kind of irrelevant now.

How can one sincerely apologize for something they themselves didn't do, and how can one accept such an apology without ever being personally wronged by the subject of the apology?

-TT

Old 02-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
I am a believer of advancement of society as a whole and EQUAL treatment of all. I'd vote for Colin Powell or Condi Rice for Pres if the opportunity presented itself in a heartbeat. An apology by any state for slavery is in reality a futile attempt to wash the hands of previous legislatures but if the General Assembly feels it necessary, then so be it.

However, I like to compare things as equals and do you think that in the future the black community will apologize for its overbearing on our economy and crime with as much money going to social services as defence? Watching BET yesterday, hearing the people cry about Katrina that "Blacks are on our own in this country" led me to think, "isn't everyone?" Not trying to be stereotypical but look at statistics, then try to argue. Blame the problem on anything, but it's still fact.

My point is that regardless of a formal apology or free money for decades or special treatment there is nothing that will ever satisfy for the past.
Many of the points you have made have been covered on various threads here and would take a long time to fully address. However, it is slavery that set up the mentality held by many (including some blacks themselves) not to expect much positive accomplishments from African-Americans but rather to expect more negative behavior. This is not to excuse blacks from said negative behavior, but there are those with financial and political power (mostly white males) who, whether subconsciously or actively, hamper the opportunity for positive achievement.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
You're also leaving out that the plantation owners didn't hop in a dinghy and sail over there themselves. Regardless of where they got them from, Europeans still sold them to other Europeans as a commodity.

So yeah, I think an apology is a nice thing, but in the grand scheme of things it's kind of irrelevant now.

How can one sincerely apologize for something they themselves didn't do, and how can one accept such an apology without ever being personally wronged by the subject of the apology?

-TT
To answer your question, see my response to jballa.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,610,285 times
Quote:
To answer your question, see my response to jballa.
It's a regional thing I guess.

Even though I know what you're saying is true, it's hard to accept.

I come from New York City. I can only dream about achieving what many of the blacks I know up there have. So when I read things like that I roll my eyes at first, but then I remember that different areas of the country don't exactly "foster" the success of blacks.

In New York City, nobody really cares what color you are. Just get it done, get it done NOW, and it better be the right price, lol.

-TT

Old 02-26-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
It's a regional thing I guess.

Even though I know what you're saying is true, it's hard to accept.

I come from New York City. I can only dream about achieving what many of the blacks I know up there have. So when I read things like that I roll my eyes at first, but then I remember that different areas of the country don't exactly "foster" the success of blacks.

In New York City, nobody really cares what color you are. Just get it done, get it done NOW, and it better be the right price, lol.

-TT
I guess it's like as they say: "If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere". There are at least a few others metros I'm aware of where affluent blacks tend to congregate: Atlanta, DC and Chicago come to mind, immediately. Perhaps LA too since, like NYC, there are a lot of high-profile people of all ethnicities living there.

I hope you don't think I'm speaking from a "Southern" perspective, though; I actually grew up in Philly. While I don't feel personally held back from opportunities, I wouldn't doubt that others were.

I certainly hope for the day where everyone thinks like you do when it comes to business, that the only color that matters is the $$$green$$$!

Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,678,753 times
Quote:
but there are those with financial and political power (mostly white males) who, whether subconsciously or actively, hamper the opportunity for positive achievement.
How do you know, have you ever been a white male?

Old 02-26-2007, 06:20 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,190,410 times
Too bad Virginia was a good state up till now. It's a shame.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
How do you know, have you ever been a white male?
Actually I've been accused of "acting white" but that's another story ....

There are hardworking people of all colors who endeavor to be successful while treating their associates with fairness regardless of their ethnic background. But I believe that the reality is that white males still hold the vast majority key positions in business and politics. You can point at exceptions in the business world... and hurray for Colin, Condi and Nancy Pelosi... but we have a long way to go before true diversity in the halls of power.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:57 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,678,753 times
Quote:
Actually I've been accused of "acting white" but that's another story ....

There are hardworking people of all colors who endeavor to be successful while treating their associates with fairness regardless of their ethnic background. But I believe that the reality is that white males still hold the vast majority key positions in business and politics. You can point at exceptions in the business world... and hurray for Colin, Condi and Nancy Pelosi... but we have a long way to go before true diversity in the halls of power.
Sure. But I wouldn't attribute this necessarily to racism. Blacks have only recent, relatively speaking, jumped into the economic mainstream in this country, for various reasons. These things take time. Please don't expect to jump from the cotton fields to the board room overnight. Many have made the transition, some faster than others, and more will come along in time. Fortunately good ol' fashioned greed and the desire to achieve trumps racism and corporate America will welcome anyone who can make them more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.