Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times

Advertisements

This Slavery And The Civil War Needs To Just End, Its 150 Years Ago Time To Move On.
The Worst Thing That Has Happened To The Minorities And Poor Whites In This Country In The Last 70 Years Is Govt Has Made Them Dependent On Govt. This Raising Generation After Generation Of Whites And Blacks To Look For The Govt For Food Housing And Medical Has Held The Poorer Population In Chains For Years There Is No Incentive To Go Out And Try To Better Ones Self . This Is What Is Needed To Be Apologized For This Is Today ,slavery Was 150 Years Ago.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:11 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
That's a beauty point of Democracy, the country as a whole votes in white males and the minorities can complain that the white males have more say in government. If they're the best suited for the job, they get the vote sorry.
I'm certainly not saying that any white guy in political office isn't well-qualified or supported by a cross-section of his constituents. Heck, I vote for people regardless of race or gender. I've even been known to occasionally vote for (gasp! ) a Republican candidate.

My point is that these days it costs a lot of money to run a campaign. So one either has to be: 1) flush with funds themselves or 2) able to connect to those with the funds. In either case, you can already guess who I feel is more likely to hold said funds.

Quote:
And as for the Affirmitive Action that you mentioned, I'd be for it as long as they implemented it in sports as well. If you have 50% women and 35% blacks in congress, I want the same ratio in college and professional basketball and football. Deal? That makes it sound a little more like communism doesn't it?
Somehow I knew sports was gonna come up.

Well, before I take that deal, we'll have to negotiate how to redistribute amateur and professional players in golf, tennis and hockey. I think we all know (or should ) that athletic achievement is influenced by what's available in one's environment. People like the Williams sisters, Steve Nash, Grant Fuhr and European Olympic basketball teams as a whole have all shattered the myth of ethnic competence or dominance in sports.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
WELL WHERES MY THANK YOUS ? MY FAMILY FOUGHT IN A OHIO REGIMENT TO FREE THE SLAVES...DONT I GET A THANK YOU ?
MOST VIRGINIANS WERE THEMSELVES SHARE CROPPERS, MOST COULDN'T AFFORD SLAVES. TALK ABOUT STEREOTYPING PEOPLE . A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO A GREAT MANS PHOTO WAS TAKEN DOWN OFF OF RICHMOND'S FLOOD Wall BY A BLACK CITY COUNCIL THE MAN WAS THE ONE WHO GOT UP AND TOOK COMMUNION AFTER THE WAR WHEN A BLACK MAN WAS THE FIRST TO TAKE COMMUNION...THIS SET THE PACE THAT WE MUST ALL GET ALONG...ROBERT E LEE A GREAT GENERAL, A GREAT EDUCATOR, AND A GREAT MAN......BUT HIS PICTURE WAS TAKEN DOWN ,......SO LITTLE IS KNOWN ABOUT THIS SLAVERY ISSUE,YES T WAS A TERRIBLE THING BUT MOST AMERICANS DIDN'T PARTICIPATE IN SLAVERY,....ITS JUST WHAT THE GOVT SCHOOLS TELL THE YOUNGUNS
Thank you to your ancestors for fighting in the Civil War to help reunite the nation.

However, it's hard for me to thank them for freeing my ancestors because we never should have been enslaved in the first place.

I don't know enough about Virginia history to fully comment. I do know that VA was one of the first places that black slaves were brought into the country.

I also don't know much about Robert E. Lee. I'm sure he had a lot of redeeming qualities to some people. It was also nice of him to treat a black person like any other human being and take communion after him. (I guess in those days it took more than a little courage to do such, I suppose.) Unfortunately, he also fought for the right to own slaves which obviously I have a problem with. So I don't have an argument with his picture being removed from such a prominent spot in Richmond. They do still have that thoroughfare downtown that features statues of Confederature figures... and Arthur Ashe.

And even if there were onlyone American slaveowner, it would have been one too many.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
This Slavery And The Civil War Needs To Just End, Its 150 Years Ago Time To Move On.
The Worst Thing That Has Happened To The Minorities And Poor Whites In This Country In The Last 70 Years Is Govt Has Made Them Dependent On Govt. This Raising Generation After Generation Of Whites And Blacks To Look For The Govt For Food Housing And Medical Has Held The Poorer Population In Chains For Years There Is No Incentive To Go Out And Try To Better Ones Self . This Is What Is Needed To Be Apologized For This Is Today ,slavery Was 150 Years Ago.
Poor people of all ethnicities should be upset at those in positions of power for not redistributing the wealth and opportunity more equally. Poor whites in particular should be mad that they've been pitted against minorities for an increasingly smaller piece of the same pie. To a degree, I can understand why poorer whites would oppose Affirmative Action as they may feel everyone in a lower-income community the same boat.

On the other hand, just like the blanket stereotype of "lazy" blacks and Hispanics for example, I agree with you there are poor whites who could make more of an effort to get off the government dole. How to solve that would be, again, a good topic for another thread.

I think the point that you actually helped me make is that slavery played an indirect role in pitting poor person against poor person, no matter what their ethnicity.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
I thought this was nothing more than a black State Legislature dredging up the issue of slavery, once again, for pure political purposes.

Proof is in the pudding: Senator Henry Marsh, the black legislator who proposed this "resolution" was upset that it was expanded to apologize for the treatment of Native Americans and all of the state's generally racist past. In his own words it, "Diluted the purpose of the bill..."

So what does that mean exactly??? That this was supposed to be about blacks, not about slavery. That it was supposed to focus on the black man, not on racism. By acknowledging in the bill that blacks weren't the only one who were treated unfairly in Virginia's past it diffused any political ooomph that Sen Marsh was hoping to get from this bill and his disappointment in it being all inclusive in it's apology highlights this.....

Yes, "Good for Virginia" for realizing what was going on here and for getting all of it's "necessary" apologizing out of the way in one resolution so it can move on to more important things.....
I believe I missed this post originally.

I didn't hear this detail in the news but I actually agree with you to a point. Native Americans certainly did suffer when the European settlers swindled or forcibly removed them from their land. I wouldn't have minded seeing them included in the resolution... or at least have two concurrent bills passed for both African and Native Americans. It's unfortunate that Senator Marsh did not support either of those ideas.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:32 PM

480 posts, read 2,829,276 times
Slavery was legal back then. So why should anyone have to apologize now?

Political stunts like this pushes equality farther away.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
Slavery was legal back then. So why should anyone have to apologize now?

Political stunts like this pushes equality farther away.
Because the aftereffects of slavery are still with us today in ways that I've already expounded upon.

Now that I think of it, blacks were legally second-class citizens as recently as the 1960's when notable achievements such the Civil Rights Act and Brown vs. Board of Education helped to push equal rights. So many of us - white and black - were alive when this happened.

Given that, do you think, theoretically speaking, that those that are alive now and were in positions of power to effect change in the 60's, 50's, etc. should apologize for not passing equal rights laws sooner?

Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 PM

Single mothers were also considered second class citizens. Do they also get an apology? How about the physically disabled, mentally handicapped, high school drop outs, war veterans, the elderly...

Let's make a list of all those who received injustices in their lifetime, and write apology letters to all of them. I hope you have plenty of paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Because the aftereffects of slavery are still with us today in ways that I've already expounded upon.

Now that I think of it, blacks were legally second-class citizens as recently as the 1960's when notable achievements such the Civil Rights Act and Brown vs. Board of Education helped to push equal rights. So many of us - white and black - were alive when this happened.

Given that, do you think, theoretically speaking, that those that are alive now and were in positions of power to effect change in the 60's, 50's, etc. should apologize for not passing equal rights laws sooner?

Last edited by Check123; 02-27-2007 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-27-2007, 04:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,794 times
I Don't Get It The Last Forty Years Has Been One Big Apology For Slavery, Affirmative Action Etc. But What Is The Pct Of Young Blacks That Are Using These Options...it Takes To Much Time And Work For Some Young Blacks To Go ThROUGH The Process, Its Easier To Join A Gang And Stand On A Corner And Sell Dope, Going To Prison Has Become A Part Of The System, Why?... Maybe Because The Govt Has Enacted A Womb To Tomb Policy Of Taking Care Of Everyone. I Am Really Thinking We Should Surrender To The War On Drugs, Make Them Cheap And Legal And Remove This Plaque On Society. The Prison Population Would Decrease, The Gangsta Attitude Would (literally) Die Off.
How Would The Gangs Fund A Habit That Was So Cheap It Would Make Cigarettes Seem EXPENSIVE?
This May Not Be The Right Way Of Doing It But This So Called War On Drugs Isnt Doing Anymore Than Making A Lot Of Our Youth Prison Bound And Temporarily Wealthy

Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 PM

Apologizing isn't going to change anything. Black people will still have the same issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies