Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" ???
Merry Christmas! 175 59.93%
Happy Holidays! 38 13.01%
I don't care! 79 27.05%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
I say "Merry Christmas" and if someone takes offense to it then with all due respect they can bugger off to another country.
Oh, now that's a real American attitude... and such Christmas joy you are spreading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, now that's a real American attitude... and such Christmas joy you are spreading!
Well...

Happynoodleboycey does list Location: Bromsgrove, England - Where God goes to get bored.

So, I suppose he can be forgiven for the unAmerican part of it.

And his country is officially Christian. So, even that part is consistent, in a twisted kind of way.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,165,636 times
Quote:
Yes, I forgot to address that point... whoever said we're trying to compete with Christmas is laughably wrong. Most of us would prefer that it fell NOWHERE near Christmas, so it wouldn't turn into a competition. Do you know how many times I've heard ignorant people refer to Chanukah as "the Jewish Christmas?" Oy vey.
I will lay full claim to having been suspended from school for knocking a kid out after he tried to call Chanukah the "Jewish Christmas."

Quote:
So if a city worker isn't being stifled, it cannot be a government mandate anywhere, I imagine. And if a private company (like Target, for instance) is telling employees what to say, that is their right as a private institution. We all clear on that?
Of course not, it needs to be a constitutional amendment that "Merry Christmas" must be said by all to all in all places starting on November 1st and not stopping until after Christmas. There is no more "Hello" or "Good bye;" it is all "Merry Christmas." We all clear on that?

So why is it that the people who celebrate the Secular Christmas seem to have more spirit, cheer, and goodwill (not to mention, holiday humor!) than those who celebrate the Religious Christmas? That's what I notice every year around this time, including reading through these replies.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:56 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,143,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
You don't work on Christmas? Wow, I guess I thought that all 7-11 gas stations were open on Christmas. Too bad, I was going to stop in and wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Why do you "Christians" act so insulting and nasty ? Is it because it's the season of "love and goodwill" or are you an a-- all year long?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why do you "Christians" act so insulting and nasty ? Is it because it's the season of "love and goodwill" or are you an a-- all year long?
You really should see somebody with all the bitterness and anger issues

Old 12-01-2008, 02:20 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
To me it is a Christmas tree, too. A "holiday" tree is an excuse to have a Christmas tree, while pretending you don't.

That offends me more, I think, than when my public school wants to put a Christmas tree in the lobby. Do they think we're stupid enough to believe it is not about Christ because they changed the name?

"It's okay to trash the Christians at every turn."

Somehow, having the majority, the one whose deity is on the money, in the Pledge, and whose calendar we follow, complain how put upon and suffering they are is pretty funny.

It's not okay to trash any people for any religion at any turn. It is not okay in a society without a state religion to force a particular viewpoint down the public's throat, no matter the majority opinion or the minority opinion.

But I am unsure what you mean by "trash the Christians," so perhaps I am misunderstanding - could you clarify that?
I meant that it seems like Christianity in this country has become an easy target. Some schools won't let kids wear a cross to school, but if that same school told a Muslim he couldn't wear something symbolizing his religion, you would have Muslim groups and the ACLU picketing the school. We have to be sensitive to other people's beliefs, but it seems it doesn't matter when it comes to the Christians. Just my opinion.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM

756 posts, read 1,882,105 times
I'm not sure why "Christians" are so freakin' angry. I think the right wing crazies are at it again, making another controversial wedge issue out of thin air. I remember a time when the right wing called Santa Claus secular and were outraged that 100% of the focus of Christmas wasn't on Jesus. Now they are just going batty over a phrase! When will it stop?!? (never, obviously)

Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
When will it stop?!? (never, obviously)
When this nation ceases to be overwhelmingly Christian, I guess. (never, obviously)

Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,243 times
Quote:
I agree with that, since no other holiday or religion uses a giant pine tree with lights & ornaments... so you can call that a Christmas tree, and to call it a Holiday tree is stupid and MORE offensive. "Chanukah Bush" is even sillier, and I laugh at anyone who has or mentions one of those.

My only problem with Christmas trees is that I'm HIGHLY allergic to pine, and can't be within a few feet of one without having an asthma/allergy attack... so regardless of religious beliefs, I think workplaces should either go fake or make sure nobody has allergies. If they put one up at my work, I'd literally have to call in sick until it went down!
Actually, the pagans have decorated trees. The Christmas tree was originally a pagan symbol.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:39 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,638,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I meant that it seems like Christianity in this country has become an easy target. Some schools won't let kids wear a cross to school, but if that same school told a Muslim he couldn't wear something symbolizing his religion, you would have Muslim groups and the ACLU picketing the school. We have to be sensitive to other people's beliefs, but it seems it doesn't matter when it comes to the Christians. Just my opinion.
I sharply disagree with your sense of things.

Any school that would prevent a student's wearing a cross has gone far over the line and the ACLU would be more than happy to step in, if asked.

Got a link? I would love to follow up on it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies