Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" ???
Merry Christmas! 175 59.93%
Happy Holidays! 38 13.01%
I don't care! 79 27.05%
Voters: 292. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 05:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

I'd suggest that those who are so opposed to Christmas being recognized as a Holiday sue the Federal Government.

You should contact various legal foundations, including the ACLU, and offer yourselves as Plaintiffs - if you can get at least one plaintiff from each state - so much the better.

I'm sure you can get pro bono representation from these groups - especially the ACLU

Go for it - let's see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
Slavery used to be the law of the land.

Women were not permitted to vote.

*shrugs* It may or may not change, but its existence and popularity have nothing to do with the point, no matter how often you insist that they do.

The law is clear.

But apparently, supporting the Constitution is only something to do when it is easy or convenient or popular.
Christmas, as recognized by the government, is a secular holiday. That it is also viewed as a religious observance by some people may cause you anguish, but hardly rises to the level of a violation of the establishment clause of the Constitution.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'd suggest that those who are so opposed to Christmas being recognized as a Holiday sue the Federal Government.

You should contact various legal foundations, including the ACLU, and offer yourselves as Plaintiffs - if you can get at least one plaintiff from each state - so much the better.

I'm sure you can get pro bono representation from these groups - especially the ACLU

Go for it - let's see what happens.
To prepare, watch the Hollywood classic "Miracle on Thirty-Fourth Street."

Witness little Natalie Wood's epiphany.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
The law is clear..
I'd suggest it isn't as clear as you might like to have us believe.

If it WAS CLEAR, that the recognition of the Holiday known as Christmas is unconstitutional, the Courts would have made a ruling on it by now - and when I did a blanket search of all record courts thought-out the country, I could find no case when a court - any court, said it was "unconstitutional"

Imagine that.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 PM

998 posts, read 1,513,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Christmas, as recognized by the government, is a secular holiday. That it is also viewed as a religious observance by some people may cause you anguish, but hardly rises to the level of a violation of the establishment clause of the Constitution.
Funnily enough, a solely Christian Christmas display is not allowed on public property.

I think the way we view Christmas as a federal holiday needs to be challenged just as those solely religious displays were.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 PM

30,348 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Yay, we hit 40 pages!!! Last year this debate got to about 50 pages, I believe, and the year before it was a little less... go C-D debaters! Seriously, this discussion is becoming a time-honored holiday tradition for me - and yet despite all the fear over losing Christmas, it still seems to be alive and well. To quote GreatDay, imagine that.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Right, I agree. Check on Mother's Day -- the original "mother" was the church.
Thanksgiving? Who are we giving "thanks" too?

We live in a secular country made up of mostly Christians -- it makes perfect sense to have "Christmas" as a legal holiday to me.

The only point I would make is that maybe the true "Christmas spirit" would be stronger if Christmas was actually celebrated during Christmas and the Holiday's and the "holiday spirit" was more inclusive to ALL the holidays.

Merry Wednesday everyone.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:10 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,198,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

That's fine with me, especially if they're less domineering than the Christian majority. I've always been a minority anyway, so that won't change anything for me... and having grown up in a heavily Hispanic neighborhood, I know they make good neighbors!
How on earth did you stand seeing the Virgin Mary everywhere??LMAO

Old 12-03-2008, 06:21 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If it WAS CLEAR, the Courts would have made a ruling on it by now
Talk about a basic fallacy.

Plessey v. Ferguson was the law of the land for a while.

So was Scott vs. Sanford (the Dred Scott decision).

Pardon me if, while I accept their decisions as the law of the land, I don't always accept their decisions as just.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Talk about a basic fallacy.

Plessey v. Ferguson was the law of the land for a while.

So was Scott vs. Sanford (the Dred Scott decision).

Pardon me if, while I accept their decisions as the law of the land, I don't always accept their decisions as just.
Has there been ANY case regarding Christmas? Hmmmm

And those cases you mentioned were litigated and ultimately REVERSED in their effect

Any case on Christmas?

Come on - why don't you step up to the plate and sue the Government? I'm sure you can find legal representation at no charge - you seem to suggest that you have a strong case -

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies