Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM

695 posts, read 1,377,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
The obvious contradictions did not seem to matter to the millions who voted him in....not sure what it would have taken to keep him out of the White House. Not much it seems.
Actually, I'm not really thinking these are things that should have kept him out of the White House.

I just find it odd that nobody seems to have thought about the irony, or contradictions, or whatever it is we should call them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:49 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
Actually, I'm not really thinking these are things that should have kept him out of the White House.

I just find it odd that nobody seems to have thought about the irony, or contradictions, or whatever it is we should call them.

Lotsa "nobodies" out here thinkin' it....

Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Despite my religious leanings, I think that most of the Presidents that we've had in the office use religion merely as a political tool.

I would just vote for the best woman or man fit for the job.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM

159 posts, read 532,080 times
Catholics are crazy! source- I unwillingly spent most of my childhood in a Catholic school.

A president with no religious affiliation would be great

Old 05-10-2009, 11:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Default Non-Religious is my preference

I'd prefer a non-religious person as president.
They wouldn't feel the need to kowtow to the wackaloon religious lobby.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
We've had non christians as president before: Thomas Jefferson and William Howard Taft to name two. So no, it wouldn't bother this christian. The only person I vote for, whose religion I care about is my pastor, and I'll keep it at that.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Of course, our last president will renounce all religions and god himself and make himself the supreme under lord.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Our last (p)resident did.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:49 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, Catholics are NOT Christians. That's why we had the Reformation. The Catholic church has been corrupt for centuries. Sadly, now many Protestant churches are going the same way.
Martin Luther was a Roman Catholic priest/theologian who was attempting to change the Church when he nailed those 95 ideas on that door. He had no intention of leaving the Church nor starting another branch of Christianity when he did so, only of fixing it. Unfortunately for him, the Pope in power didn't appreciate his attempts and told him to retract them. Luther refused and got excommunicated.

Catholics are and always have been Christians. To say otherwise is ridiculous. Christians are nothing more than people who believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:01 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
We've had non christians as president before: Thomas Jefferson and William Howard Taft to name two. So no, it wouldn't bother this christian. The only person I vote for, whose religion I care about is my pastor, and I'll keep it at that.
Exactly. Presidents have typically parked their religion at the door when they entered the White House, retrieving it on Sunday mornings when they went to services. That's the way it should be. I'm sure some presidents went to Sunday services more for show or tradition than out of having a strong faith.

There should be no litmus test of a person's religion as part of running for POTUS. All I want them to do is run the country IAW the Constitution and the rule of law, period.

IMO, any POTUS who puts his/her faith first (over the Constitution and rule of law) in running the country has committed an impeachable offense.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies