Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:59 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Ovcatto, I think it all comes down to education. Give these people an education & the chances of them breeding too often will greatly reduce. Sorry, that came off a little crass. However, I stand by it. It's proven that the greater the education level of a society, the lower the birth rate, which I find is a plus. The population of this world has gotten obscenely out of control.
I agree! Give them a hope for the future and something eles to look forward to instead of having baby after baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Because the government is largely inefficient at getting stuff done. At least from a Christian point of view, we would rather help the poor through church rather than watch the government botch it up. The same government that "handled" hurricane Katrina.

Besides, there is something unsettling about being forced to give. If you give, it should be because you want to make a difference. You're trying hard to put "right wing christians" into some uncaring, hypocritical box. Lots of you sound very bitter in your attacks that they are hypocrites and what-not. One could argue that the liberal is hypocritical in that he has deep pockets for social spending but could care less about the lives of the aborted. Don't accuse others of living in a glass house when in fact you do also.

The issue here is big gov vs. small gov., its not about giving vs not giving...
Excellent post!

Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Probably because we know a church can do a better job than the government can do.

And I don't like having my tax money taken to give to a "charity" like planned parenthood.

Truth be told, we give more money to charities, per capita, than the non-religious. We like to solve society's problems by charitable organizations. Liberals tend to prefer to just pay more taxes and not get involved.
It's simple. We did the no string attached welfare in the sixties through the eighties and all we accomplished was to create fatherless families with loads of troubled kids. MI began forcing welfare recipients to work in the '90s and the no string attached approach was ended. It's been a big success for everyone involved ever since.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
The poor are usually born.

Pro-lifers are pro-life up until birth, but never after birth.
Can you back that up with any facts or was it just another thoughtless canned answer?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
I'm curious to know why the Catholics get a pass in the OP?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Well I am Catholic, and definitely support social programs for all HUMAN BEINGS regardless of nationality, race, sex, or what have you. I am vehemently pro-life, I'm against the death penalty as well. I am as conservative as you get on many issues.
Would you prefer that non-governmental organizations provide the needed assistance?

I'm always suspicious of the government. They tend to escape the accountability standards the rest of us are held to and you definitely can't trust their motives.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 PM

"Unlike heathens who think faith justifies salvation."

What?

The fruits of our faith is the subject at hand.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Would you prefer that non-governmental organizations provide the needed assistance?

I'm always suspicious of the government. They tend to escape the accountability standards the rest of us are held to and you definitely can't trust their motives.
I agree. The public needs to demand more accountability from our government.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:39 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Why Are Pro-Lifers So Opposed To Social Programs For The Poor?

I don't know about 'pro-lifers,' but I'm opposed to programs for the poor b/c all it seems to do is create more poor people.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 PM

"I'm not extremely 'pro-life,' but I believe that if an unborn child is developed to the point that it can survive outside of the womb, then it has inherited natural rights and should be considered a citizen of this country."

This is the sort of moral relativism that was in play in pre-war Germany.

Euthanasia Program

The White Rose: A Lesson in Dissent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies