Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,926,053 times

Advertisements

Do you see discrimination against gays in the work place, in social settings, or in Universities?

If so, what do you recall happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:53 PM

Old 11-24-2008, 06:57 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,557,438 times
Oh sorry, I'm trying to think if I've seen it. In my current job, I've spoken w/a couple people who were totally against gays, disgusted by the whole thought of it. Needless to say, I was disgusted by their judgement. I was talking to a co-worker 2 weekends ago, after that national rally against prop 8 happened which I attended in my city, & some others piped up & asked me what rally I was talking about. When I told them, they got quiet & didn't respond. Give me a break, why don't you be a little more obvious about how you feel about gays why don't you? And this was them asking me about it, not me coming out & telling everyone I attended this rally. Mind your own damn business if the answer makes you uncomfortable!

Old 11-24-2008, 06:59 PM

interesting. do they treat gay people differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh sorry, I'm trying to think if I've seen it. In my current job, I've spoken w/a couple people who were totally against gays, disgusted by the whole thought of it. Needless to say, I was disgusted by their judgement. I was talking to a co-worker 2 weekends ago, after that national rally against prop 8 happened which I attended in my city, & some others piped up & asked me what rally I was talking about. When I told them, they got quiet & didn't respond. Give me a break, why don't you be a little more obvious about how you feel about gays why don't you? And this was them asking me about it, not me coming out & telling everyone I attended this rally. Mind your own damn business if the answer makes you uncomfortable!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
interesting. do they treat gay people differently.
What?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 PM

The people at your job. You said they hate gay people. Are you from a conservative area?

Quote:
What?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
The people at your job. You said they hate gay people. Are you from a conservative area?
Oh, no I think Milwaukee is ok, it's got it's tolerant areas & it's not so tolerant areas. And not everyone I work w/hates gays, there was one person who made it known, the others I have no idea although from their reaction I would say they're quite uncomfortable w/the idea of homosexuality.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:06 PM

They made that known in the work place? Isn't that unprofessional?

Quote:
Oh, no I think Milwaukee is ok, it's got it's tolerant areas & it's not so tolerant areas. And not everyone I work w/hates gays, there was one person who made it known, the others I have no idea although from their reaction I would say they're quite uncomfortable w/the idea of homosexuality.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
They made that known in the work place? Isn't that unprofessional?
Very, however since the one person I know has a problem w/gay people, it was strictly a conversation between the two of us, no proclamations in a group. The others, since they didn't actually say anything negative, I guess I'd have to say there was nothing unprofessional about it. What about you?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:14 PM

We talked about a supervisor being a butch lesbian behind her back...only because she was a jerk. Had more to do with her character and her masculine appearance than her sexual orientation.

The others who didn't say anything might just be trying to be polite or might actually like or approve of gays and not want to be criticized for it.

Quote:
Very, however since the one person I know has a problem w/gay people, it was strictly a conversation between the two of us, no proclamations in a group. The others, since they didn't actually say anything negative, I guess I'd have to say there was nothing unprofessional about it. What about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies