Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 10:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Nope. They put all their $$$$ towards a hate campaign against the LGBT community by funding adverts and mailers that were based on complete lies.

They aimed to raise the fear factor of the alleged "gay agenda" and built a campaign around the premise that "the gays" were out to sully the "sanctity of marriage", and "force children in Ca. public schools will be required to learn about gay marriage".

All of these are flat out lies.

The churches funded the bulk of the campaign from other states.

They did not do much of anything else funding wise for any Republican candidate within the state of Ca.

And besides the prop 8 vote was very close...not enough to change from blue to red.
Lets just forget about churches for a moment, and do a little homework: look at the list of voters by ethnicity, and how they voted. That information is for public view in CA. Once you have done that, tell me if those folks are Mormons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
But I think the question concerns why they feel that way.

Because they're gay.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:40 PM

839 posts, read 982,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finland23 View Post
I heard that recently, 3 states approved a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages. Why? They don't deserve to marry? I thought this was the "Land of the Free" I also read on Gallup that 56% of Americans disapprove of gay marriages and that 53% of teens disapprove of it too. It seems like the hostility towards homosexuals will continue, unfortanetly. And 48% of Americans believe that allowing them to marry would have a worse effect on society. And 38% would like to see acceptance towards homosexuality to decrease, while 28% would like it to be more and 34% say it's about right.
There is no single answer to this question, a wide array of factors are to blame. However, part of the explanation can surely be attributed to the fact that when it is compared to other developed countries, the USA has a very conservative and very religious population. For example, if we were to 'transport' the Democratic Party to your average European country is would be considered a conservative, middle-right or moderate party. Yet it is the liberal party here in the US. Religion and conservatism have been on the decline for decades in Europe, but this is simply not the case here. However, younger generations here in the US tend to be much more liberal than older ones, signifying that the US will become more liberal in the coming decades. Part of this may be attributable to globalization and the internet, though empirical research would be necessary to confirm this.

Thus, the more pertinent question for this debate is why the US as a whole tends to be more religious and politically conservative than most developed countries.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I would blame movies for negative attitudes towards homosexuality, not religion. As a matter of fact I find it quite ignorant to place the blame on religion. Watch a few recent movies and see how homosexuality is downplayed and usually the word "gay" is used offensively.
You are wrong. How many atheists and agnostics do you see out spreading intolerance toward homosexuals. Many of them have seen those same movies and don't do go out trying to prevent homosexual rights. The bible has numerous verses which condemn homosexuality. Since conservative Christianity finds the bible to be inerrent, homosexuality is thpught to be evil and a transgression against 'god.' Here are a few verses which condemn homosexuality-
1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Exodus 20:14, Matthew 5:28, 1 Corinthians 5:1, Ephesians 5:3,1 Corinthians 6:11, Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17, Genesis 19:4-8, Genesis 1:27,28, Matthew 19:5, 11 Timothy 2:19,Romans 1:24-27, 1 Timothy 1:10, Jude 7, Romans 1:26-31

Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
You are wrong. How many atheists and agnostics do you see out spreading intolerance toward homosexuals. Many of them have seen those same movies and don't do go out trying to prevent homosexual rights. The bible has numerous verses which condemn homosexuality. Since conservative Christianity finds the bible to be inerrent, homosexuality is thpught to be evil and a transgression against 'god.' Here are a few verses which condemn homosexuality-
1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Exodus 20:14, Matthew 5:28, 1 Corinthians 5:1, Ephesians 5:3,1 Corinthians 6:11, Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17, Genesis 19:4-8, Genesis 1:27,28, Matthew 19:5, 11 Timothy 2:19,Romans 1:24-27, 1 Timothy 1:10, Jude 7, Romans 1:26-31
I see your point, BUT in defense of TRUE Christians I have to say that it is NOT TRUE Christians who are opposing gays......A true Christian would PRAY for them,NOT hinder them in anyway whatsoever.So the Christian RIGHT WINGERS (who are not even close to being followers of CHRIST)are the problem,not true Christians at all and it really makes me mad to be lumped in with that bunch by folks who don't have the slightest clue about the difference.And the difference is HUGE.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think it is a legacy of the plague years in Europe. The population needed to be rebuilt and GAY sex does not reproduce, hence should not be tolerated.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:56 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
I guess it's just fear of the unknown. Everyone knows gay people, but they don't KNOW that they know gay people. They think somehow that gays are "outside" of society - like they're running around in gay bars, being promiscuous, spreading AIDS (lesbians are the least affected by AIDS than any other group, btw), etc.

They don't realize, perhaps, that they are members of your own family, co-workers, neighbors, friends, people at church, etc. Gays are not usually recognizable unless they tell you they're gay. Sure, there are those who ARE running around and having lots of relationships (mostly the men), just like heterosexuals, also usually men. So, gays are really no different than anyone else, but somehow, people think that gays are weird, on-the-edge of society types. Maybe because they THINK they don't know any gays, so they don't see how "normal" most are and how they're just like heterosexuals in most ways.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:09 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
But I think the question concerns why they feel that way.
I know I'm immediately going to be called several nasty names, in all likelihood....but it's immoral and deviant because it's just not the natural order of things. God created male and female.

If you want to do that, fine--so be it. I don't really care what you do in your bedroom, and I don't want to know. But if you bring it out into the public square, and try to force me to ratify your relationship...I just can't do that.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
If you want to do that, fine--so be it. I don't really care what you do in your bedroom, and I don't want to know. But if you bring it out into the public square, and try to force me to ratify your relationship...I just can't do that.
How is it any worse for gay people to talk about their private business to strangers and acquaitances than for straight people to do it? Note: I don't know any who do that at this point in my life.

Also, why are you talking about it as though these relationships are all about sex? What if people talked about heterosexual relationships that way?

Old 11-26-2008, 07:28 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I know I'm immediately going to be called several nasty names, in all likelihood....but it's immoral and deviant because it's just not the natural order of things. God created male and female.

What is there to bring to public? Anything hetero couples do should be fine for homo couples to do. You're telling people not to bother living their lives because you're uncomfortable with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies